PDA

View Full Version : Education is a dirty word :P

theWeedyRoad
04-20-2012, 09:28 AM
So yesterday we went to the beach with my mother, neice, and nephew.

I was under orders from my son not to make it 'educational'. And... haha. Ah well.

My dd (now 8) started it off by telling about corals in a docu she watched (in her own time) about the ocean. She described corals fighting for space, and ended by telling us that the losing coral will be dead and just a white exoskeleton.

We then looked in tidepools, watched barnacles feeding, and checked out the underside of a limpet. My neice, nephew, and I popped a bubble on the seaweed Bladderwrack to check out what was inside. Later, we talked a bit about what the forest ranger was doing to protect the park. We hummed periwinkles out of their shells, and talked about sharks in our part of the ocean (and that led into a side joke about the lies my parents told me ;) ).

ds declared that I didn't do a very good job not being educational LOL. My mother later asked me if I saw less mystery in life (or maybe her question was, "does it kill the joy") because I knew about, say, invading species. I had to explain to her that a lot of what I know has zero to do with my college education, and mostly to do with learning to teach my kids- and that nope, none of it felt like work, or made the world less magical at all. I found her question a bit odd- the more we know, the more we realize there is still left to learn. And you really CAN'T appreciate barnacles until you see them doing something ;)

Maybe I'll manage to be less educational next time...

farrarwilliams
04-20-2012, 09:58 AM
That's so silly - the idea that knowing about the world would make it less magical. It makes it more magical to be able to make connections and observations that fit into a greater context. And that's why it's so hard to stop it from being educational!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Give me science over "magic" any day!

My son had to have some warts frozen off the soles of his feet yesterday. He had a lovely conversation with the nurse about liquid nitrogen, viruses vs. bacteria, ice crystals forming on outside of the dropper, and other science stuff. It was much more interesting then her saying, "These magic drops will make the little spots on your feet disappear, honey!"

KristinK
04-20-2012, 10:05 PM
sounds like a fun beach outing, educational or not ;) I hope your son still had fun!

dbmamaz
04-20-2012, 10:20 PM
mm, whats more magical than knowing that the elements that make up our bodies were forged in now-dead stars?

hockeymom
04-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Well, I've had my share of scathing remarks about kids who know "too much" or are naturally curious (mostly from DS's former ps teachers) but this really takes the cake. Really, knowledge kills the joy in life? Kudos to you for however you handled it; I would have been too stunned to speak! lol

Shaunessy McKay
04-21-2012, 04:26 PM
mm, whats more magical than knowing that the elements that make up our bodies were forged in now-dead stars?

That blew my sons mind. There is nothing more magical than the look in his eyes when he learns something amazing.

theWeedyRoad
04-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Well, I've had my share of scathing remarks about kids who know "too much" or are naturally curious (mostly from DS's former ps teachers) but this really takes the cake. Really, knowledge kills the joy in life? Kudos to you for however you handled it; I would have been too stunned to speak! lol

I sort of... waxed poetical on how finding out more about things really helps us to appreciate them better. In particular, understanding invasive species really helped me appreciate how hard plants and animals fight to migrate- and how dynamic it all is. Nothing is static at all. My mother referred to a music classs she took, where the learning stopped being fun and turned into work- and on further thought it really is the difference between force-fed learning and asking the questions- and finding out the answers- ourselves. It's easy to see the distinction for me, and see how my kids are interested in everything- but when you think all learning happens in a classoom (and you still think of 'filling kids' heads with knowledge', like kids are passive vessels) it's harder to understand, I guess.

farrarwilliams
04-21-2012, 11:15 PM
It shocks me how anti-intellectual our country is sometimes. I think to all of us, this attitude sounds bizarre, but I don't think it is in some places.

MarkInMD
04-21-2012, 11:54 PM
That's so silly - the idea that knowing about the world would make it less magical. It makes it more magical to be able to make connections and observations that fit into a greater context. And that's why it's so hard to stop it from being educational!

Yep. That goes for religion, in my case, too. DW and I, in one of our many in-depth conversations about this, wondered if I felt cheated by not believing in an afterlife. I told her that the fact that the atoms that are part of me were synthesized in long-ago stellar explosions, and that someday my atoms will be scattered through space again is the coolest thing I could possibly imagine for myself after I'm gone. That's "magic" to me.

I can never make anything not educational, either.

ETA: And now that I've scrolled down further, I see that Cara had much the same thought!

hockeymom
04-22-2012, 06:34 AM
I told her that the fact that the atoms that are part of me were synthesized in long-ago stellar explosions, and that someday my atoms will be scattered through space again is the coolest thing I could possibly imagine for myself after I'm gone.

:_applaud:

Like, like, like!

mamaraby
04-22-2012, 05:40 PM
I third (or fourth) the sentiment of the magic of being made of stardust. I think of all the things I'll take away of our study of Astronomy this year this is the biggest of them all.

I don't know how the facts of reality are anything but "magical." If anything, my feelings on the amazingness of life is enhanced, not diminished, by my learning how things work.