PDA

View Full Version : New to Home Schooling In NM

noddyknitter
06-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Hi my real name is Sara and My husband and I are actively researching and will most likely be home schooling beginning in the fall. We have a 10 year old son who will be going into 5th grade and an 8 year old daughter starting in 2nd. ( we also have a 3 year old) I think that i am like most people in that I tried public school (here and in WI) I was fine until I started to ask too many questions.

Our daughter is quite gifted, but has seemed to be doing ok. She has had good teachers (makes all the difference) Our son however, was not as lucky. He is just as gifted however in different ways. I can say his Kindergarden year was our "best" year. He got shafted with a system that won't take bad/sick teachers out of the class room if they still want to teach. So after having his 1st grade teacher leave mid semester with an inoperable brain tumor, they allowed her to come back and teach the same kids the next year in 2nd grade. Suffice it to say My son read to himself through that grade. We found out in March that she taught little or no math... so third grade was a catch up year, in which I kept asking... "So when was my son supposed to have learned how to do (insert real learning)" and his teacher would say "well, we did ..... last year." I got to the point where I would say, "no you did that last year, my son read a book last year." then we moved to NM and I have to say I feel like we made great progress this year... until I asked the question "Did you do any Science or geography/social studies this year?" Science was Bill Nie(not sure on the last name) the science guy video. He spent the year in test prep for the state's testing in April.

He has HUGE gaps in his knowledge of math facts. Things just can't go on like this. The surprise was how receptive both of our kids were to the idea of homeschooling. So we are researching and planning. This summer is my investigation into it. However, i know that I will not send them back to PS in the fall.

This post kind of turned into a rant. Sorry about that, I guess I am still trying to process things.

As far as hobbies, i am a knitter and spinner (yarn not bicycles) and have started doing some design work for knitwear. Also, I am an avid out door person I pretty much like anything you can do outside; garden, hike, camp.....

I feel like I have unlocked a door full of untold purpose. It kind of feels freeing not to be tied down to school and it's schedule.

pandahoneybee
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Welcome to the forum! I think that you will find that this is a good place to get ideas or to rant;) My youngest son was told by his teacher in Kindergaten that he was average but every year since we have homeschooled he has tested 1 or 2 grades above. So I think that you are doing a great service to your kids!
Have a wonderful summer and enjoy!

StartingOver
06-07-2010, 04:40 PM
Welcome to the forum !!! The states tests just depress me, how much they are teaching to the test. There is no time for learning. I am sure you will have a wonderful time teaching your children.

BPier12
06-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Hi Sara and Welcome!

We are new to homeschooling too. We have a 12 year old son who has been in a mix of public and private schools since pre-school, and we will begin homeschooling in earnest this fall. This summer is a kind of "ramp up" time where we will be exploring what to study and how we will study. This forum has been a great source of support and information and I hope that you find it that way too!

Shoe
06-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Hi Sara and welcome to the site. We just started homeschooling this past year, and it's gone well, so we're continuing next year with both kids. There is a lot of knowledge here and some really great people, so you should be able to get answers to questions and a friendly ear for any frustrations. I look forward to getting to know you better.

Snoopy
06-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Welcome to the group, Sara! You'll find plenty of people who are in the same boat as you... pulling their kids out of p.s. to homeschool them either immediately or in the Fall. Feel free to ask any questions, we'll do our best to answer them :)

Green Vixen
06-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Hi Sara,

Welcome to SHS! I am sorry the past few years in ps have been so difficult, I hope this site will help you start your journey with lots of good information. I was homeschooled from the middle of 1st grade until 9th and loved every minute of it :) I am now planning on homeschooling my kids when they are older. I just started knitting and LOVE it! There is a crafting group on here under the "groups" tab. I am kind of taking a break for the summer but will get back into it in the fall, which in Alaska is September. Looking forward to getting to know you!

Marisa

SunshineKris
06-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Welcome Sara. Your son's story is so heartbreaking. I am sorry that happened to him (and the rest of his class). My dd and ds have been tested for gifted programs (more than once) but don't fall into that category. They are quite smart however (very smart and gifted are two very different things). And their teachers this past year have failed them terribly. Plus the school district has felt the pressure to perform better on the tests, and well, you know what happens then...

Good luck on your journey! This has been a great site for support and help for me. I am sure it will be for you as well.

jessicalb
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
Welcome!

We had a similar experience with the public schools just sort of marking time and not really *doing* anything. Alex had a teacher who went on leave a couple of months into the school year, and they never replaced her with a permanent teacher. He had subs lasting a week or two each for the rest of the year. When I brought him home after the third grade he had no idea what multiplication or division was and struggled with basic adding and subtraction. It was incredibly frustrating for me, but he is really doing great now.

I hope that bringing your kids home brings you as much joy and success as it has for us. :)

noddyknitter
06-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome. I have already found tons of info on this site. You guys are all so great and welcoming. I am sure there will be moments of frustration and tears. The one major reason I have not done this before is that I was unsure we would all survive. However, I am willing to give it a try.

Marissa, I will check out the crafting group here and if you are not on Ravelry, you really need to be. :) Also, my DH has family uo there in AK so I know what you mean... but at least you will be caffeinated.

Sara

reversemigration
06-08-2010, 09:50 AM
Welcome, Sara. I've got a 10-year-old as well, and I know how you feel - for Max, kindergarten ended up being a virtual rehash of his previous year. It bred incredible frustration on both my kid's part and mine. I'm loving the opportunity now to move at our own pace!

As an aside, while I wouldn't use it for the main science curriculum, I do love Bill Nye (http://www.billnye.com/)! There are some nice teacher resources on his site.

Green Vixen
06-08-2010, 04:48 PM
Marissa, I will check out the crafting group here and if you are not on Ravelry, you really need to be. :) Also, my DH has family uo there in AK so I know what you mean... but at least you will be caffeinated.

I am a big Ravelry fan! I am in a group that meets regularly and the women in it are so nice and helpful. Alaska is such a crazy place, you go go go during the summer, especially with all that sunlight, and have to spend the winter recuperating :)

Marisa

Topsy
06-09-2010, 10:27 AM
So glad to have you here, Sara! I know you are probably already in info and research overload, but have you done any reading on learning styles, yet? That was one of the most life-changing things for our homeschooling!! Understanding that each of my kiddos learned in completely different ways, and that different curriculum and different styles of homeschooling could complement their personal learning style was SO helpful in our journey. Couple of resources I can highly recommend personally:

**Discover Your Child's Learning Style (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761520139/coachingforlearn)

**Learning Styles Online (http://www.learning-styles-online.com/)

**Learning Styles Quizzes (http://www.homeschoolviews.com/quiz/quiz.html)