PDA

View Full Version : Derby Day Party Ideas?

LAR
04-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Our girls decided they wanted have a Kentucky Derby Day party....which is only a few weeks away! Other than mint juleps, big hats and red roses, I'm at a loss. I'll be searching online tonight for ideas, but was curious to hear if anyone had suggestions? We plan to invite a few families, so we'll have kiddos and adults. Thanks!

lakshmi
04-17-2012, 10:22 PM
Sounds like you got it to me....

Hot browns would be the only other thing you could add. I don't celebrate Derby, but.... maybe we should start.

hockeymom
04-18-2012, 05:42 AM
Years ago DH and I owned a coffeehouse and we celebrated Derby Day, just because a good friend was from KY and it was fun to do. We used to whip up a special juice for the occasion, something with mint (of course) and honeydew. I can't for the life of me remember what else we put it in, my DH just made it up, but it was a huge hit. We'd bring in our TV from home and watch the race...it was really fun. Thanks for the reminding me of that! :)

LAR
04-18-2012, 08:33 PM
We're full speed ahead. The girls are making handpainted cups for everyone - with a horse of course! Of course! Recipes are being approved: several different drinks; the hot browns; cucumber sandwiches (along with pb&j). 1st, 2nd, 3rd place ribbons have been purchased. (I love Target's $1.00 bins!) A few different betting games. (Yeah, we're teaching our children to gamble!) Some horse galloping game - which we haven't finalized yet. We're hoping grandparents come through with the red roses. Should be fun.

lakshmi
04-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Rose horse shoes
Bourbon Balls, Kentucky Derby Pie

LAR
04-19-2012, 12:20 PM
Thanks, Lakshmi