PDA

View Full Version : Cool little article about a homeschooler/origami GURU

Topsy
06-07-2010, 08:55 AM
http://www.dailytidings.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100605/LIFE/6050301

I have to say I wish this kid lived near me...I think origami looks like the perfect antidote to stress, actually! :)

Shoe
06-07-2010, 09:09 AM
I've always been fascinated by origami for as long as I can remember. Sadly, I just don't "get it", despite many books with detailed instructions, and even a couple of days of summer classes :( . Great article though.

Snoopy
06-07-2010, 08:41 PM
This is cool, I need to show the article to Noah! A couple of days ago he asked me if we had any origami paper because he wanted to try and make some stuff. Well, heck, we have a whole origami kit that I had bought a couple of years back with cool printed paper to make various animals and a book of instructions. We tried to make the panda bear back then... 2 hours into it I gave up 'cause I don't get it either. Noah looked at the instructions and decided to just move on to the paper soldiers, which have kept him happily occupied since Friday morning (he and his dad are playing the Crusades campaign as we speak!)

But back to the article... I love that this kid is giving classes to adults and other kids! I really wish he could teach us how to make a Yoda.

SunshineKris
06-08-2010, 05:44 AM
My dd loves origami. How she found it, I don't know. Though truthfully, it's driving me crazy! I find paper things everywhere. Scattered on the tables, on the floor, under the stairs...it's making me nuts. But my crafty girl could spend hours folding paper. I even got her the cool printed origami paper, which she used almost all of in a matter of days.

I will hold off on showing her this kid until she's done something truly remarkable, like cleaning up all said papers without being told. ;)

Firefly_Mom
06-09-2010, 01:49 AM
How cool! When Pat Farenga talked at our homeschool convention this year, he had an article about a young man who was unschooled and was a complete oragami fanatic. He ended up getting hired by NASA when they had a problem getting their solar sails to fold up.

Snoopy
06-09-2010, 09:27 AM
He had an article about a young man who was unschooled and was a complete oragami fanatic. He ended up getting hired by NASA when they had a problem getting their solar sails to fold up.
LOL, that totally reads like an article from The Onion :) I'm still chuckling. Good for him!