PDA

View Full Version : American HS in Spain

mommykicksbutt
06-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Hello, new to this forum but not new to homeschooling. Homeschooled DD while in Japan 10+ years ago, been hs son for 4 years, just finished 7th grade-ish. We've been in Spain for about a year now and still have a couple of more years to go. Teaching ancient and medieval history here in Europe has been great!

reversemigration
06-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Welcome to the forum, mkb! I'm so very jealous that you get to have field trips and hands-on ancient and medieval history. I felt that way about colonial American history when we lived next to the historic triangle in Virginia. There's no substitute for that "it happened HERE!" feeling!

I look forward to hearing more about your adventures thus far, and have already peeked into some of your recommendations on other threads. Welcome again.

mommykicksbutt
06-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Thanks Ben, It has been great teaching and learning here in Europe. In our tiny town we have our own castle, it is still a working building - it's city hall! We've been to Seville, Cordoba, Granada, Cadiz, and Ronda, to name just a few of the cities we've studied here in Spain. More Globally, we were in Pisa, Florence, Rome, Pompeii, Delos, Athens, Istanbul, and Ephesus just last month! But after seeing ruin after ruin, son stated that one old stone looks just like any other old stone any where else.

Snoopy
06-05-2010, 05:04 PM
Hello, new to this forum but not new to homeschooling. Homeschooled DD while in Japan 10+ years ago, been hs son for 4 years, just finished 7th grade-ish. We've been in Spain for about a year now and still have a couple of more years to go. Teaching ancient and medieval history here in Europe has been great! Welcome to the group! I'm also jealous of you being able to teach ancient and medieval history in Europe :) I grew up in France and told Noah about this house from ~1100 in my hometown that is still being used as a private residence and I do want to take him back and visit all the castles and cathedrals but it'll be a while before we can go back. I envy that your kids are so well traveled, that's awesome!

hockeymom
06-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Welcome! Nice to see another American ex-pat here. I wonder if homeschooling is popular in your area or...? As Americans we tend to be pretty comfortable with the idea, but I've found that it is certainly not received the same where we currently live (east coast Canada). Also I know it isn't even legal where my family is from (Germany) so I'm glad to see you aren't hindered in Spain! Welcome again! :)

mommykicksbutt
06-05-2010, 07:39 PM
We live in a "Mayberry" of sorts on a small Spanish military base, we are a very small community of US citizens. Of the 3000 Americans here only about a dozen families homeschool. Most send their kids to the only US school here, the DODSS (department of defence school system). In Spain, like Germany, homeschooling is illegal but since we are Americans under SOFA (the status of forces agreement) the Spaniards don't really care how we do school.

DODSS knows we're here, there is a liaison that attends every monthly meeting we have and she has been very helpful, she has even arranged for our group's two graduating seniors to participate in the DODSS graduation ceremony letting mom and dad give their kids their diplomas.

Unfortunately for us, all the other homeschoolers here are all very scary evangelical christian. Hubby is a devout catholic and I'm a freethinker (long story), but some how the homeschool group seems to think I'm Jewish - lol - I'll just let them keep guessing!

SunshineKris
06-06-2010, 03:16 AM
Are you at Rota?? How much longer are you there? We left Moron about a year ago. And we still have a friend at Rota as well. I miss it there. We are in Germany now. I know there are a lot of scary religious families there. We didn't consider hs till recently, and we will start next month. Moron had a great elementary school (well, the teachers) for my kids so there was never an issue.

pandahoneybee
06-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Welcome! I am too very envious of you being able to teach ancient history in Europe! I would love to be able to show the boys castles (which my youngest is really into right now! I guess his lego creations will have to do;) ) I hope that share lots of stories !

Shoe
06-06-2010, 04:54 PM
welcome mommykicksbutt! Great to see you. It sounds like it would be a lot of fun to homeschool in Spain. As for Japan, my daughter would be so jealous-she's in love with everything Japanese these days.

Snoopy
06-06-2010, 07:18 PM
We left Moron about a year ago. Sigh. I wish we could leave moron too but it seems like a futile exercise since they seem to be everywhere :p

Snoopy
06-06-2010, 07:21 PM
I would love to be able to show the boys castles (which my youngest is really into right now! I guess his lego creations will have to do;) ) Michelle, btw, have the boys seen this (http://www.hoernersburg.net/LegoCastleAndTownTour.htm) already? There is a video tour of the castle that's very cool. It was one of Noah's very favorite sites to visit this past year.

SunshineKris
06-07-2010, 02:43 AM
Sigh. I wish we could leave moron too but it seems like a futile exercise since they seem to be everywhere :p

LOL!!! :) Accent is on the second syllable. I wish I knew the cool code to put it on there. I usually have to open a Word doc and go under symbols, but that's just too much work most days. ;)

Topsy
06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Hello, new to this forum but not new to homeschooling. Homeschooled DD while in Japan 10+ years ago, been hs son for 4 years, just finished 7th grade-ish. We've been in Spain for about a year now and still have a couple of more years to go. Teaching ancient and medieval history here in Europe has been great!

So glad you found your way here, mkb!! I hope you will find nothing at all scary about us, and will feel free to come hang out with us often!! Be sure to add yourself to our Military Homeschoolers group (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=4) and any other groups that apply to your situation. We look forward to finding out more about your experiences!

Topsy

Snoopy
06-07-2010, 10:58 PM
LOL!!! :) Accent is on the second syllable. I wish I knew the cool code to put it on there. I usually have to open a Word doc and go under symbols, but that's just too much work most days. ;)
Hmmm, allow me to educate you, my dear... if you have a PC there are things known as ALTCODES that you use to create the letters with various accents. Here is the link to the Spanish ALTCODES (http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/spanish.html#winalt). So to type Morón, you would type Mor(then hold ALT and hit 0243 at the same time, release the keys)n. Try it and let me know how that works for you. I have most of the French ALTCODES memorized but I have bookmarked the appropriate reference page on all my PCs so I can always refer to it when I need it (which is only when I write my family otherwise I skip all the accents because it takes too long but that drives my mom nuts, lol.) If you have a Mac, scroll down a little, they have instructions for Macs as well, although I could have sworn that I used the ALTCODES on my Mac at work many years ago...)

If anyone else wants the codes for other languages, go here (http://tlt.its.psu.edu/suggestions/international/bylanguage/index.html).

SunshineKris
06-08-2010, 06:08 AM
Thanks Nathalie! I thought it was 0234 but for some reason it never used to work for me. And I just tried it and it made the page change. Hmmm...I need to work on this. There is something I am not doing right.

Snoopy
06-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Thanks Nathalie! I thought it was 0234 but for some reason it never used to work for me. And I just tried it and it made the page change. Hmmm...I need to work on this. There is something I am not doing right. Did you try ALT+0243?

mommykicksbutt
06-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

Kris, Yes, we're in Rota. Hubby goes up to Morón every time NASA takes flight though (which is coming to an end soon - sad face-). Indeed there are some scary religious folks here, that is why I keep my opinions to myself when with others here.

Shoe, my DD loved Japan, we did three tours there (total of 8 years), DD now reads, writes, and speaks Japanese. She still has a lot of the culture ingrained in her life style.

Topsy, thanks for the fyi on the mil group!

SunshineKris
06-09-2010, 12:41 AM
Did you try ALT+0243?
Well, okay, the 0243 might have worked better. ;) But I keep trying that one now and it's still not working for me. Perhaps I will just be the moron, accent on the first syllable. LOL!

MKB, we spent a lot of time at Rota. We had to, you have the commissary and NEX. At Moron we had only one family that homeschooled, and it was for VERY religious reasons. Though we are good friends. I am sure they pray for my soul everyday! And I had no idea anyone from Rota came up for the NASA missions. It's not often Rota peeps venture out our way. I really miss it there. Say hi to Los Argentinos for me. Loved dinners there.

mommykicksbutt
06-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Kris, I'll enjoy a steak for ya the next time I'm there!

Snoopy
06-09-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, okay, the 0243 might have worked better. ;) But I keep trying that one now and it's still not working for me. Are you holding down the ALT while typing 0243? Don't type the plus sign. Oh and I just realized that it only works with the number pad, not with the number row at the top of the keyboard.

SunshineKris
06-10-2010, 03:49 AM
Well, there you go! I don't have the number pad as I have a laptop. I could put on the number lock but I know me. It was cause all sorts of problems and it would be DAYS till I remember that the Num Lock was on, even with the light there as a "reminder." Moron. Morón. T4rn 6ff the n40 36c2 r5s! See, already! That was "Turn off the num lock Kris!" But look, the accent worked! Thanks! I am so glad it finally worked!

Sorry, mommykicksbutt, for hijacking your thread! But I learned something new!