PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

hockeymom
06-05-2010, 07:27 AM
What books are you reading right now, about homeschooling or not? You remember those, books for YOU, not for your kids.

I'm reading The Well Adjusted Child (The Social Benefits of Homeschooling), by Rachel Gathercole, The Creative Family, by Amanda Blake Soule, and Down East magazine.

What's open (and not too dusty) on your bedside table?

Wilma
06-05-2010, 08:08 AM
I have several books going at the same time. At some point I will finish one

Side Tracked Home Executives
Workboxes by Sue Patrick
An American Life by Ronald Reagan
Fellowship of the Ring
Texas by James Michener
Famous Men of the Middle Ages
The Federalist Papers
My youngest dd's journal (she writes to me about her day and I write back.)

Hmmmm. With this pile I could just get rid of the nightstand and use the stack or books.

inmom
06-05-2010, 08:11 AM
My Life In France by Julia Childs
Land Below the Wind by Agnes Keith. I HUGELY recommend her book Three Came Home about her family's experience in a Japanese prison camp during WW II in Borneo. Might be hard to find anymore, but I found it on half.com

paganmomblog
06-05-2010, 08:17 AM
I am reading a mashup called Android Karenina (spoof of Tolstoy's Anna Karenina). It hasn't been released as of yet, I am doing a book review on it for the publisher. It's not a bad read if you enjoy twisting up the classics in a respectful manner.

jessicalb
06-05-2010, 08:20 AM
I am currently reading, in no particular order...

The Ramayana by R.K. Narayan
The City and the City by China Mieville
The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
The Drunkard's Walk: How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow
Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys by Dan Kindlon
Also, I am eagerly awaiting the newest Hunger Games, and when I get more caught up, I plan on reading the Young Wizards books again before I read the newest one. At some point I am going to pick up a bunch of books on WordPress and learn it. :)

I really, really love to read, and I am really, really busy. ;)

Riceball_Mommy
06-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Right now I'm only reading one book. The Power of Art by Simon Schama.

Snoopy
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Well, I have a pile of books from the library waiting for me to crack them open but I just had to renew them this morning, that's how long I haven't been reading them, lol. I hate being without several books waiting for me to get off the computer ;) The 2 that I have managed to start are:

The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England (A Handbook to Visitors to the 14th Century) by Ian Mortimer
All New Square Foot Gardening By Mel Bartholomew

It's kind of funny that they're both non-fiction since I'm usually a fiction-only kind of reader (thrillers, mysteries, spy novels...)

And I think I have a Karen Robards book that I started by my bed but I'm too lazy to go check.

reversemigration
06-05-2010, 10:47 AM
In random order and various degrees of completion:

The Accidental Time Machine, by Joe Haldeman
Probability Moon, by Nancy Kress
100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum
Feersum Endjinn, by Iain Banks
The 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear, by Walter Moers
The New Frugality, by Chris Farrell
Last Child in the Woods, by Richard Louv, which is one that I wanted to open a thread about sometime.
and a few sundry magazines.

...doing this list reminds me of how I need to FINISH a few of these.

ginnyjf
06-05-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm doing an interesting summer challenge for another forum called Read the World 2010. The challenge is to read books set in another country. The participants can skip around, reading from any country that interests them, or the more hard-core participants are doing what they call "backpacking" where they must read books from adjoining countries and make their "way" around the world in that manner. I'm skipping. So far I've read Malawi, England, Afghanistan and I'm currently reading Awake in the Dark (Germany) and Buddha or Bust (Nepal).

Awake in the Dark is a beautiful, beautiful book and absolutely haunting. Buddha or Bust is written by a journalist and most of it so far is tl/dr (too long/didn't read). I hope I can finish it.

StartingOver
06-05-2010, 11:35 AM
I haven't read much in a couple of months, we have been working on clearing out dad's house since he has retired to KS with his older sons, after my mom passed. Twenty years of stuff accumulated, takes a lot of work to dig through, we still aren't done. Before all of this started, I had just finished Don Quixote ( TWEM ) and attempted Pilgrims Progress ( I don't know if I will ever be able to read it. ). I have been reading on and off , TWTM, TWEM, Edith Hamiltons Mythology, Sarah Palins Going Rouge ( My BIL insisted I read it. ). I think I am going to pick up Pride and Prejudice since it is an easy read, until we are done with dad's.

I have also been reading through 100's of poems my mom wrote that I never knew she even had. I am learning things about her I never knew, and wrestling with some feelings too !

hockeymom
06-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Last Child in the Woods[/I], by Richard Louv, which is one that I wanted to open a thread about sometime.

I just finished this one. It would be interesting to see what others thought of it.

hockeymom
06-05-2010, 11:46 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Moving parents is never easy, but it must be amazing to learn so much about your mom that you'd never seen before.

StartingOver
06-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your mother. Moving parents is never easy, but it must be amazing to learn so much about your mom that you'd never seen before.

Thanks !! Yes, it is both amazing, and frustrating, and at times makes me angry. She has been gone sine 2007.

hjdong
06-05-2010, 11:57 AM
I'm in between books right now. I just finished Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and 1001 Arabian Nights. I hate being in between. I have a couple on order from the library, but that could take months. I'll have to read some of the books that are languishing, unloved, that I've passed over a million times.

Snoopy
06-05-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm doing an interesting summer challenge for another forum called Read the World 2010. The challenge is to read books set in another country. The participants can skip around, reading from any country that interests them, or the more hard-core participants are doing what they call "backpacking" where they must read books from adjoining countries and make their "way" around the world in that manner. I'm skipping. So far I've read Malawi, England, Afghanistan and I'm currently reading Awake in the Dark (Germany) and Buddha or Bust (Nepal).

Awake in the Dark is a beautiful, beautiful book and absolutely haunting. Buddha or Bust is written by a journalist and most of it so far is tl/dr (too long/didn't read). I hope I can finish it. I love this idea :)

Snoopy
06-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm in between books right now. I just finished Hotel at the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and 1001 Arabian Nights. I hate being in between. I have a couple on order from the library, but that could take months. I'll have to read some of the books that are languishing, unloved, that I've passed over a million times. You could read books online too, I know it's not the same, but there are tons of free books available on the Project Guttenberg site, among others... I have a couple downloaded to my iTouch in case I'm ever stuck somewhere without anything to read (like the wait before my son's 8th grade graduation that I'm a.bout to go attend)

BPier12
06-05-2010, 12:23 PM
I love this thread because I am always looking for suggestions for new books to read.

I've currently got going:

Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon (actuallly I'm re-reading this. I love his books. This one is by far the best)
The Willa Cather Reader - I just picked this one up at the library yesterday so that I can read Oh, Pioneers. I read My Antonia this winter and it is one of the best books I have ever read, so I want to continue to explore her work.

Melyssa
06-05-2010, 04:38 PM
I just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and am now on the second book in the series, The Girl Who Played with Fire. I can't wait for the third one but after I'm done with my current book, probably tomorrow...I am going to start book 10 in the Southern Vampire Series, the ones with Sookie Stackhouse. (HBO series True Blood is based on these books.)

Anyone else use Shelfar? My user name there is Melyssa.
http://www.shelfari.com/melyssa/shelf

camaro
06-05-2010, 04:45 PM
I recently started Rolling Thunder by Mark Berent, a novel taking place in Vietnam 1965-66. So far there's plenty of action and conflict and they haven't even taken the characters into battle yet.

amphibology29
06-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I'm not reading anything right now since I need my spare time to keep prepping for our temporary move, but I've got a few tucked away in mind to take with us. I'll mostly just be hitting up the library rather than taking a ton of books with us though, since I'm not sure all of our living essentials will fit in the van, let alone extras like for-pleasure books!

Busygoddess
06-06-2010, 11:59 PM
Fiction:
Rose Madder by Stephen King
The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway
The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allane Poe
Clothar the Frank by Jack Whyte

Non-Fiction:
The Egyptian Book of the Dead
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
Jack the Ripper The Facts by Paul Begg

These are just what I'm reading for fun, right now. I've also got several books that I'm reading with the kids for their schooling (even if I've read the book before, I like to read it at the same time or just before the kids read it for school) and, of course, my schooling.

jessicalb
06-07-2010, 12:44 AM
Ohh I love love love love Rose Madder. Definitely one of my favorite King books ever.

Green Vixen
06-07-2010, 01:31 AM

Awake in the Dark is a beautiful, beautiful book and absolutely haunting. Buddha or Bust is written by a journalist and most of it so far is tl/dr (too long/didn't read). I hope I can finish it.

Is this the site you are talking about? http://www.papertigers.org/wordpress/category/reading-the-world-challenge-2010/ I love the idea and am going to look into it further! I am on a middle east/asia kick right now. I just finished "Shadow of the Silk Road" by Colin Thubron and started "In the Land of Invisible Women" by Qanta Ahmed. What to read next? So many choices and so little time...

As for homeschooling books on my pile I've got The Well Trained Mind (Classical), How to Raise an Amazing Child (Montessori), A Charlotte Mason Companion (CM) and a few others :)

Marisa

paganmomblog
06-07-2010, 07:31 AM
Non-Fiction:

These are just what I'm reading for fun, right now..

I am so glad someone else reads this for fun. My hubs (whom is Christian) views it as "serious" study because I am so obsessed about the Ancients. Trying to explain that it brings me joy to read it is like pulling teeth sometimes lol.

Shoe
06-07-2010, 09:03 AM
I recently read (and absolutely loved!):

Murder for Hire: The Peruvian Pigeon (Dana Fredsti) (http://www.amazon.com/dp/1596635711?tag=danafredstico-20&camp=14573&creative=327641&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=1596635711&adid=1TNR5HJ4KYY61RY66F7N&)

and have just about completed (this one is a series of short essays/stories, so it's easy to read one, put it down and come back later):

Morbid Curiosity Cures the Blues: True Stories of the Unsavory, Unwise, Unorthodox and Unusual from the magazine "Morbid Curiosity" (Lauren Rhoads) (http://www.amazon.com/Morbid-Curiosity-Cures-Blues-Unorthodox/dp/1439124663/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1250462230&sr=8-1)

I've got a few "comfort" books on my bedside table that I am continually re-reading at different times:

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Complete-Tales-and-Poems-of-Edgar-Allan-Poe/Edgar-Allan-Poe/e/9781435106345)
The Best of HP Lovecraft:Bloodcurdling Tales of Horror and the Macabre (http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BOOK&WRD=the+best+of+hp+lovecraft)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert A Heinlein) (http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Harsh-Mistress-Robert-Heinlein/dp/0312863551)
Glory Road (Robert A Heinlein) (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Glory-Road/Robert-A-Heinlein/e/9780765312228/?itm=1&USRI=glory+road)

I've also been reading (and have nearly finished):

Spook Country (William Gibson) (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Spook-Country/William-Gibson/e/9781429550734/?itm=1&USRI=spook+country)

I've got a few homeschooling book that I need to read too, but I've taken a bit of a break from those as I try to put my curriculum together-I just don't want to get overwhelmed with new ideas, since I was finding it hard enough to choose amongst all that is out there anyway.

Busygoddess
06-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Ohh I love love love love Rose Madder. Definitely one of my favorite King books ever.

I'd have to say this is about my 7th time reading Rose Madder. King is one of my fave authors. I've been reading his books since grade school. I'm pretty sure I've read Rose Madder more times than any of his other books, so far.

Busygoddess
06-07-2010, 09:30 AM
I am so glad someone else reads this for fun. My hubs (whom is Christian) views it as "serious" study because I am so obsessed about the Ancients. Trying to explain that it brings me joy to read it is like pulling teeth sometimes lol.

My hubby (also Christian) has given up trying to figure out my reading choices. He's accepted that I'm a bit strange, and therefore my entertainment choices are a bit odd as well. His main problems are how many books I'm reading at any given time & my preferred reading environment. I read several books at a time, and will sit reading a book while watching TV or listening to music. It drives him crazy. I doubt he'd ever read the Book of the Dead himself, but he didn't even give me a weird look when I bought it or added it to my pile of 'currently reading' books.

JinxieFox
06-07-2010, 09:50 AM
I'm reading Soulless and Changeless by Gail Carriger, and waiting for the next book (Blameless) to be released in September. It is a Steampunk/horror/romance series written with very Victorian sensibilities.

callie
06-07-2010, 10:11 AM
It's nice to know that I am not the only one that reads several books at one time, and while watching tv. lol It drives my DH crazy too. My most recent books were Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris and The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. I also just finished a couple of books by Lisa Jackson. The only book left from my library trip that I haven't read is The Best Children's Literature by Ellen Trachtenberg. I think I am going to try and read the Twilight series, after watching the movie I'm not sure I can handle "sparkly" vampires though. :-) It might be time to break out the Anne Rice books instead, I haven't read them this year.

I forgot to list all the books that Jake is making me read to him. Do those count? If so, I can sum them up - tractors, airplanes, helicopters and trains. Such a variety! lol

Shoe
06-07-2010, 10:24 AM
I think I am going to try and read the Twilight series, after watching the movie I'm not sure I can handle "sparkly" vampires though. :-) It might be time to break out the Anne Rice books instead, I haven't read them this year.
If you like vampires, but want something a little different than the Dracula-type, but don't want them to "sparkle", you might also look at The Vampire Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas (http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Tapestry-Suzy-McKee-Charnas/dp/0765320827/ref=tmm_pap_title_0).

Fiction:

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allane Poe

Non-Fiction:
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

These are just what I'm reading for fun, right now.I love Edgar Allan Poe and never tire of reading him. I've read Hawking's book a few times-very interesting, and I bought The Egyptian Book of the Dead just for fun back about 20 years ago-fascinating reading, I thought.

Marmalade
06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
I love to read-but I've never understood how people could read so many books at one time! My daughter does this so I guess I should just accept it.

Anyway-I went on a Stephen King kick this year and I'm currently on Wolves of the Calla-Dark Tower V. The last two books I read were also in this series and hopefully I finish them all up without a break.

paganmomblog
06-07-2010, 10:49 AM
My hubby (also Christian) has given up trying to figure out my reading choices. He's accepted that I'm a bit strange, and therefore my entertainment choices are a bit odd as well. His main problems are how many books I'm reading at any given time & my preferred reading environment. I read several books at a time, and will sit reading a book while watching TV or listening to music. It drives him crazy. I doubt he'd ever read the Book of the Dead himself, but he didn't even give me a weird look when I bought it or added it to my pile of 'currently reading' books.

LOL Sounds like we married similar men. He figures if it's horror or dealing with death than I will like it. If we see a movie trailer and I respond "ooooohhh I gotta see that" he says that means it ends with a "no hope for humanity" theme. LOL When I said I didn't like how 2012 ended he said "You are just mad that the Earth didn't blow up". Sad part is, he is right.

callie
06-07-2010, 10:50 AM
If you like vampires, but want something a little different than the Dracula-type, but don't want them to "sparkle", you might also look at The Vampire Tapestry by Suzy McKee Charnas (http://www.amazon.com/Vampire-Tapestry-Suzy-McKee-Charnas/dp/0765320827/ref=tmm_pap_title_0).

Thanks, I checked out the link and I will try to find them. Unfortunately my library doesn't carry them. My New Year's resolution was not to buy any new books. :eek: That has since been adjusted to not buy any books that are available at my library so I might be able to sneak these in. ;)

Shoe
06-07-2010, 11:41 AM
He figures if it's horror or dealing with death than I will like it. If we see a movie trailer and I respond "ooooohhh I gotta see that" he says that means it ends with a "no hope for humanity" theme. LOL When I said I didn't like how 2012 ended he said "You are just mad that the Earth didn't blow up". Sad part is, he is right.
Angela, you sound like my kind of people :D.

Shoe
06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks, I checked out the link and I will try to find them. Unfortunately my library doesn't carry them. My New Year's resolution was not to buy any new books. :eek: That has since been adjusted to not buy any books that are available at my library so I might be able to sneak these in. ;)

Have you inquired about inter-library loan? I've never used the service, but apparently it is available at most libraries, and some people have told me that you can get just about anything that way.

Topsy
06-07-2010, 11:59 AM
My new summer read is Middlesex...I feel like the only person in my group of contemporary moms who hasn't read it, so I'm delving in headfirst. So far so good....

Busygoddess
06-07-2010, 03:48 PM
LOL Sounds like we married similar men. He figures if it's horror or dealing with death than I will like it. If we see a movie trailer and I respond "ooooohhh I gotta see that" he says that means it ends with a "no hope for humanity" theme. LOL When I said I didn't like how 2012 ended he said "You are just mad that the Earth didn't blow up". Sad part is, he is right.

LOL. That sounds very much like my house. I have a good sized collection of horror movies & books. The entire month of October is horror movie month around here. The kids and I watch horror or Halloween-themed movies all month long. Apparently my love of horror has been passed to the kids. Dea has been begging to read one of my King books, already reads Poe, and has outgrown all the 'kids' horror I can find (like R.L. Stine). Jay checks out a new Goosebumps book almost every week at the library and already loves watching movies like Cujo, Silver Bullet, The Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, etc. My hubby has basically accepted all of that. Though, he still can't understand my penchant for documantaries & books about serial killers.

Busygoddess
06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
I love Edgar Allan Poe and never tire of reading him. I've read Hawking's book a few times-very interesting, and I bought The Egyptian Book of the Dead just for fun back about 20 years ago-fascinating reading, I thought.

This is my first time reading Hawking & the Book of the Dead. I just bought them a few months ago. I've been reading Poe since grade school & never tire of him, either.
I'm also really into vampires & will be checking my library for the book you suggested.

Busygoddess
06-07-2010, 05:31 PM
It's nice to know that I am not the only one that reads several books at one time, and while watching tv. lol It drives my DH crazy too. My most recent books were Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris and The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan. I also just finished a couple of books by Lisa Jackson. The only book left from my library trip that I haven't read is The Best Children's Literature by Ellen Trachtenberg. I think I am going to try and read the Twilight series, after watching the movie I'm not sure I can handle "sparkly" vampires though. :-) It might be time to break out the Anne Rice books instead, I haven't read them this year.

I forgot to list all the books that Jake is making me read to him. Do those count? If so, I can sum them up - tractors, airplanes, helicopters and trains. Such a variety! lol

My niece, who is 2 years older than my daughter, was reading the Twilight series & told my daughter about them. My daughter wanted to read them because she's really into vampires. Since my daughter was 10 at the time, I had to read them first to make sure they were appropriate for her. She's read the first 3 of the series, I still won't let her read the 4th. They aren't fantastic books (imo), but they are better than the movies.

callie
06-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Have you inquired about inter-library loan? I've never used the service, but apparently it is available at most libraries, and some people have told me that you can get just about anything that way.

I hadn't thought about this. I know that my library has a deal with neighboring libraries because you can use your card at any of them. I'll have to ask next time I am there - tomorrow.

My niece, who is 2 years older than my daughter, was reading the Twilight series & told my daughter about them. My daughter wanted to read them because she's really into vampires. Since my daughter was 10 at the time, I had to read them first to make sure they were appropriate for her. She's read the first 3 of the series, I still won't let her read the 4th. They aren't fantastic books (imo), but they are better than the movies.

It will probably only take me a couple of hours to read the first one so I might as well try. Movies really ruin most books.

Has anyone read the new Laurell K Hamilton book, Bullet? I have a hold on it at the library, but after reading the horrible reviews on Amazon I am not sure if it is worth it. If you have read it, is it like the first books (lots of action, good storyline, limited sex) or the newer books (a little action, no storyline, over-the-top sex)? TIA

Snoopy
06-07-2010, 11:15 PM
I'd have to say this is about my 7th time reading Rose Madder. King is one of my fave authors. I've been reading his books since grade school. I'm pretty sure I've read Rose Madder more times than any of his other books, so far. I love, love, LOVE Stephen King and I don't think I've ever read Rose Madder so I'm putting it on hold right now.

I went on a Stephen King kick this year and I'm currently on Wolves of the Calla-Dark Tower V. The last two books I read were also in this series and hopefully I finish them all up without a break. Marmalade, about 20 years ago I started reading The Dark Tower series and I think he only wrote 4 books and then declared he would take a 10 year break before the new one would be released. 10 YEARS?!?!? I about died, I loved that series so much! Then when the 10 years were over and the new installment came out I said "I need to read this!" but never did... so now it's been what? Maybe 8-10 years since he's started writing Dark Towers books again and I have yet to read any of them. I need to start from the beginning all over again because I don't remember much... apart from the giant crabs on the beach at the end of the last one I read, lol. I really hope I won't be disappointed re-reading them. Well, it sounds like my summer is shaping up to be a Stephen King summer.

Has anyone read "Under the Dome"? Was it good? I haven't read it yet.

Snoopy
06-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Anyone else use Shelfari? I started using Goodreads last year (although I haven't really kept up with it this year) but I don't like their widget because you can barely see the covers of the books. I like the look of the Shelfari widget on your blog.... I might just have to switch over!

Riceball_Mommy
06-08-2010, 01:10 AM
I use Shelfari too, I have the widget on both of my blogs.
http://www.shelfari.com/jmckelvin/shelf

jessicalb
06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Has anyone read "Under the Dome"? Was it good? I haven't read it yet.

I liked it, but by the time I was done, I was exhausted and so ready to be done with the book. I think it's longer than it needs to be, and I wouldn't re-read like I would some of his other stuff. It was worth reading once, though. :)

Snoopy
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
I started using Goodreads last year (although I haven't really kept up with it this year) but I don't like their widget because you can barely see the covers of the books. I like the look of the Shelfari widget on your blog.... I might just have to switch over! I just moved over to Shelfari but only because it's nicer on the eyes than the Goodreads widget, lol. I'm so shallow! I moved Noah too but I'm not reinputting all the books he's read. Shelfari says they'll import .txt files but Goodreads only exports in .csv format.

Snoopy
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
I liked it, but by the time I was done, I was exhausted and so ready to be done with the book. I think it's longer than it needs to be, and I wouldn't re-read like I would some of his other stuff. It was worth reading once, though. :) He does write huge books. I used to not mind them so much until Greg mentioned how tired his arms got when he read his big historical non-fiction books and how he now loves his Kindle. All of a sudden my puny biceps can't handle big books either! I think I have Kindle envy. Then I saw the skin that Mel got for hers and I REALLY want a Kindle, lol! I just don't want to pay for the books since I get 99% of mine through the library.

paganmomblog
06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
If anyone likes steampunk (or zombies or horror) I did a review of Android Karenina that was released today. There is a giveaway also for some other books and goodies.

http://thepaganmomblog.com/2010/06/08/android-karenina-book-review/

Marmalade
06-08-2010, 05:26 PM
I love, love, LOVE Stephen King and I don't think I've ever read Rose Madder so I'm putting it on hold right now.

Marmalade, about 20 years ago I started reading The Dark Tower series and I think he only wrote 4 books and then declared he would take a 10 year break before the new one would be released. 10 YEARS?!?!? I about died, I loved that series so much! Then when the 10 years were over and the new installment came out I said "I need to read this!" but never did... so now it's been what? Maybe 8-10 years since he's started writing Dark Towers books again and I have yet to read any of them. I need to start from the beginning all over again because I don't remember much... apart from the giant crabs on the beach at the end of the last one I read, lol. I really hope I won't be disappointed re-reading them. Well, it sounds like my summer is shaping up to be a Stephen King summer.

I read the first two books YEARS ago. I was positive that I read the second one because of the lobster things but then someone mentioned some plot point that I could not remember. Lucily book 3 had a nice little summary of the first two books (and it seems they all have that)...I really didnt want to read them over again.