PDA

View Full Version : Break, burnout, socialization

dbmamaz
04-02-2012, 04:31 PM
So, i decided that we would have a 2-week spring break starting right after the conference and including my son's birthday, so I could recover from conference burn-out and have plenty of time to deal with birthday stuff.

But here it is, first day of our second week 'off', and his b-day, and i'm just as grumpy as ever.

I think part of the problem is that, despite being on 'break', we still have martial arts, dissection, elementary science coop (turning in to a park day instead), and homeschool video game club / D&D club . . .which is at least 12 hours a week of running around, with only occasional days with no outings. And OMG, i LOVE the days we dont have to leave the house! I'm SOOO happy! I'm SOOO relaxed! I LOVE getting everything done and having down time and not being in the car or dealing with people!

but . . .the boys LOVE getting out among people.

At least we probably wont have much going on over the summer - but this feels really bad! How do I fix this?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-02-2012, 04:42 PM
And OMG, i LOVE the days we dont have to leave the house! I'm SOOO happy! I'm SOOO relaxed! I LOVE getting everything done and having down time and not being in the car or dealing with people!

No advice, but this is exactly how I feel! The best breaks are when the kids are amusing themselves, I'm catching up on stuff around the house or reading a book, and we don't have to interact with another living soul. Bliss.

farrarwilliams
04-02-2012, 07:00 PM
You're an introvert. If the boys like being out, they're extroverts. Such is life in the extroverted world. Sigh.

I like getting out, but it definitely wears me out. We were out from 9:30 to 4:30 today. I'm a bit beat. When we got home, I had to take a long shower then hide with the computer for awhile. Actually, I still am. BalletBoy just came in and wanted to be with me and I had to force him to go get something to do in order to be next to me so I wouldn't have to interact. He came back with this iTouch and is playing Temple Run now while I type. Ah, much better.

No advice really... I think what's hardest is when different people in a family have different needs like that. I need a certain amount of social time, but Mushroom needs a lot less and BalletBoy would be happier if he was with people 24/7.

Avalon
04-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Is there any way you can arrange some car-pooling or kid-trading? Maybe there is a family who could pick up your kids for an activity one week, and you'll take theirs the next. At least you'd get a few more home-days.

You almost need to figure this out at the beginning of the year when you sign up for things. I know people who insist on keeping at least 3 days out of seven with no commitments, or something like that.

I'm the opposite. I like to have an outing or a class almost every day or two so that we don't sit around and get bored and lonely. I'm not happy if the schedule is too crammed, but if I have one place to go most afternoons, it makes us more productive and organized in the mornings, so we can get out the door to our activity.

outskirtsofbs
04-02-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm a loner introvert. I would never leave the house if it was just me. But I would absolutely kill to have all of those activities/choices/resources/clubs available for DD to choose from. No advice here either.

baker
04-02-2012, 08:17 PM
There have been times when I just tell my kids (my dd, because ds likes to be home) that she is just going to have to miss gymnastics or other activity. EVERY activity seems to be right when I am preparing dinner, having a glass of wine and relaxing....I hate that! Fortunately, her activities are on break this week also. We didn't go to co-op today (for some reason they scheduled next week "off" when all the schools around here have this week "off").

wife&mommy
04-02-2012, 09:48 PM
I am that way, too! I could stay home for weeks on end with no problems what so ever. My kids, though, LOVE going to all of our homeschool group outings, so we go. I usually enjoy it once I am there, at least for a little while, but I never want to go, ever.

dbmamaz
04-02-2012, 11:28 PM
the thing is, martial arts drives me NUTs . . . and i used to participate?! its 2 hours including the drive, smack dab in the middle of m/w, and leaves us EXHAUSTED and hungry. SO hard to get anything done afterwards and we can really only get in an hour before hand. D&D is off for a while due to the organizing mom's knee surgery - she lives 45 minutes out of town, and i'm NOT driving that far. Dissection class is over in 7 more weeks - cuz thats the most fun - one hour of school wed am, pack lunch while the boys walk the dog, go to martial arts, change after martial arts, drive 30 minutes to get to class, class is about 90 minutes give or take, and drive another 30 minutes home . .. . and tuesday coop changing to park day will probalby lower the stress level.

thanks for the sympathy anyways. Oh, and carpooling is just not an option. No one who lives in the same part of town as I do does any of the same things I do. Esp when I was participating in martial arts. and my boys dont like being away from me, anyways.

remember, we arent weird because we homeschool, we homeschool because we're weird.

BeckyG
04-02-2012, 11:49 PM
I totally understand! My husband and I actually agreed to take a break from our Tae Kwon Do. All of our family participated, at different levels. This meant that we were there for several hours trying to catch 3-4 different classes at different times of the day. At least one was right at dinner time. I knew I hate the scheduling, but I didn't realize HOW stressed I was until we stopped doing it. It's so nice to have afternoons and evenings at home to relax and make dinner on my time schedule again.

I actually spread the rest of the activities out among the days because if we're out too long on one day, I get stressed and cranky. And the kids like going somewhere most days. I also make sure there is one day a week that we don't have anything scheduled. I need that! When we took "spring break" this year, it was especially nice because several of our activities were on break as well. Maybe you need to take a week break from activities too!