PDA

View Full Version : What's Hot With Your Teens?

Crabby Lioness
04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
What are the big interests of your teenagers? My almost-13yo is mainly interested in solitude, followed by Doctor Who, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, the Jackie Farber books, and "stupid Republican tricks".

gidamom
04-02-2012, 02:49 PM
My 13 yo son is into music, Facebook, texting, soooometimes wrestling

dragonfly
04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is HUGE with my 14 (almost 15) year old son. Not just watching the show, but visiting fansites and chatting about it online, mostly on Kongregate's forums, and visiting My Little Brony on Memebase.

He also enjoys Doctor Who (been watching it since he was a baby), The Walking Dead, Psych, and the Colbert Report. I suspect that that show--and the Daily Show--has influenced his decision to take U.S. Government for his social studies next year. He was very interested in the SOPA and PIPA issue last year, and followed it closely.

Reading lately has been confined to school related stuff, but he's really enjoyed To Kill A Mockingbird. When he has time, he likes the Xanth series a lot.

inmom
04-02-2012, 03:26 PM
ds (14): Another Dr. Who fan, computer programming, reading what we call "Geek Books" (programming books) and anything non-fiction, solitude, Pink Floyd, and black T-shirts

dd(15): Any book in the world (reads all the time), Jack Johnson, David Grey, writing, blogging, photography, social life

dottieanna29
04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
DD almost 18 - dance mainly tap, reading - a lot of teen witch/demon/vampire/magic stuff, loved The Hunger Games, movies, hanging with friends, tv is Pretty Little Liars, Secret Circle (which she also read), House, NCIS, Psych. Surfing the net looking at clothes, pinning clothes, jewelry and make-up on Pinterest. Going through magazines and cutting out pictures and articles.

dbmamaz
04-02-2012, 04:52 PM
video games, fan fics, cartoons . . . video games . . .

dragonfly
04-02-2012, 05:35 PM
Oh yeah...how could I forget video games? Skyrim, Halo, Marvel vs. Capcom...

Stella M
04-02-2012, 05:53 PM
Dd12 is currently into Pinterest, Glee ( still! ), fan-fiction, shopping, dancing....hanging out for FB...

Dd14 is into philosophy, crafting ( weaving, knitting, sewing, quilting ), reading, dancing, student teaching at dance, reading, drawing, history, psychology....

Accidental Homeschooler
04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
My teen's most recent interest seems to be finding ways the rest of us can improve ourselves, especially me. Apparently I need to work on being more understanding, less ignorant and less embarassing or maybe just silent and invisible. When she is not focused on helping the rest of us be better people she is doing a lot of crafting/sewing, making things she can sell at our local farmer's market. This goes to her other interest of making money, and I think she will. She is making some really cool stuff.

dbmamaz
04-02-2012, 11:21 PM
My teen's most recent interest seems to be finding ways the rest of us can improve ourselves, especially me. Apparently I need to work on being more understanding, less ignorant and less embarassing or maybe just silent and invisible.
LOLOLOLOL yes, my daughter spent years trying to tell us how to be better people . . . it was . . um . . . precious . . . in hindsight. oh, wait, she's not ENTIRELY done yet . . .

Accidental Homeschooler
04-03-2012, 09:28 AM
LOLOLOLOL yes, my daughter spent years trying to tell us how to be better people . . . it was . . um . . . precious . . . in hindsight. oh, wait, she's not ENTIRELY done yet . . .

I take comfort from the fact that at least I know my girl isn't afraid to tackle a BIG challenge. I was sort of clinging to the hope that it was a temporary thing, thanks for the warning. I will probably be 80 years old and she will be coming over and dragging me to the hairdresser and lecturing me about wearing slippers all day. How is your dd's mom improvement project coming along?

dbmamaz
04-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, she is more intellectually about it . .. lecturing me on how to remember names, oh, she spent a year discussing my personality type (that intj stuff) and how it affects everything. She actually did recommend a great book, tho, about daughters of narcissistic mothers - this was when she was not living with me and she was trying to figure out the strange dynamic with me, my mom, my sister and herself. She said my sister wouldnt even talk about it, but the fact that I read the book and discussed it with her, i think that helped repair our relationship. My mom fit every single 'symptom' of narcissistic moms in the book, and my sister and I fit the golden child / scapegoat description. It actually helped me get some peace with the whole deal, too.

But when she just laughs at me and says "You arent very maternal" . . .well, that seems less constructive. Or when she tells me i'm hogging the chores, but then doesnt do the ones i ask her to do? Oh, or when she used to tell me I wasnt strict enough with the boys, even tho I've always been more strict with them than i am with her . .. .

Pefa
04-03-2012, 04:58 PM
My teen's most recent interest seems to be finding ways the rest of us can improve ourselves, especially me. Apparently I need to work on being more understanding, less ignorant and less embarassing or maybe just silent and invisible. When she is not focused on helping the rest of us be better people she is doing a lot of crafting/sewing, making things she can sell at our local farmer's market. This goes to her other interest of making money, and I think she will. She is making some really cool stuff.

Oh yeah, improving the world one parent at a time. This is why children were fostered in medieval days. Whenever FD's dad got unsolicited advice about how to mend her wayward ways, he'd tell the advisor "You know, you seem to have a good handle on this. How about you let her live with you for the next two or three years?"

Current crop of teens like minecraft, dungeon crawl, movies, reading BBC and Al Jazeera, baking pies, music, gymnastics and free running. And yes My little pony is very popular here too. They both like to think about ways they could improve my "operating system" but then point out the unknown bugs might be worse then the current flaws.

caallas
04-07-2012, 10:03 PM
My 14 yr. old ds is totally into Lego's, video games, Plants and Zombies, Age of Empires, Stephen Colbert, his older brother.

Mom2AandE
04-15-2012, 02:09 PM
My ds 14 is also a big fan of Dr. Who and we just discovered The Big Bang Theory. We are all enjoying that show. I haven't seen Dr. Who yet, but I have a feeling I will like it too. He is also reading The Hobbit and I just bought him the whole Lord of the Rings series at a 2nd hand store. He is a gamer so spends money and time on Steam, the website for buying and playing games. He loves the website Reddit and is always reading me something from that.

kewb22
04-15-2012, 05:07 PM
My 14 year old is into solitude, facebook, his ipod touch, swimming, ballroom dancing, How I Met Your Mother, and seeing his friends as much as possible.

crunchymum
04-15-2012, 11:08 PM
DS 14 is into volunteering at our local museum, minecraft, lego mindstorms, curling, reading (mostly history and some fantasy - finishing up Pullman's series at the moment), british comedies, and talking politics/civics.

Marmalade
04-16-2012, 01:05 PM
my almost 13 year old is into the My Little Pony thing as well... and Invader Zim...Manga...and her Nintendo Flipnote Hatena stuff (which is mostly drawing fan pics of Zim characters)

Blue Flag Mom
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
My older DS, 18, has always been focused on technology - computers, programming, devices - and never has worried much about what others like or think. My younger DS, 12, has always been more worried about what other think and do, and some of what's "cool." They both love their Vibram Fivefingers shoes ("toe-shoes") and the younger likes his hair long enough to blow around lol, while the older wants his short enough that we don't tell him to comb it ha ha. Bridger followed the Eragon series and was impatient for the last book, Inheritance to come out. He thinks they blew the movie (they did). And he loves his chickens and dog and really loves soccer. But really, they are pretty much their own people and not fanatical about anything, for which I am thankful!

Pawz4me
07-04-2012, 07:45 AM
My 13 yo is into his Ipod, the Daily Show and puns (particularly bad ones).

The 16 yo is into cross country practice, Euro 2012, the upcoming Olympics, SAT prep, college campus tours, Time magazine, volunteer work and Twitter (Facebook is very much on the way out).

Tayonoss
07-07-2012, 10:02 PM
DD almost 16 is into anime, her ipod reading and thinking she know everything about everything..lol
ds 14 likes lego world of warcraft and the facebook game empires and allies mostly
dd 9 likes strawberry shortcake and lego and loves to ask why and drive us all crazy :)

Mika
07-09-2012, 10:33 AM
My 16 DD is into her Nook Color, manga, Dragon Age, fan fiction and Final Fantasy VII. Oh and correcting me on a regular basis.

My 12 DS is into Pokemon, cartoons, Star Wars (SWTOR online gaming), his Nintendo 3DS, hanging at the pool with his friends and hopefully overcoming not being so embarrassed by his parents.