PDA

View Full Version : Allrecipes

lakshmi
04-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Has anyone used their upgraded features, as in subscriber features.

And how are the quality of recipes on this site. A couple that I've tried haven't been so great. So I am tempted to chuck the site other than the ingredient recipe search.

dbmamaz
04-01-2012, 09:14 PM
I use allrecipes (free) ALL the time. Look at the ratings and read the reviews. I have had great success, esp using the tips mentioned in the reviews.

lakshmi
04-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Okay, I will keep looking at it. I love that you can search an ingredient and go from there.

Cara how do you plan your meals? One week at a time or do you have staples that you just think about and make?

My biggest problem right now is that I have too much food. My kids don't eat much. And I don't really eat that much. But I like to buy food. lol.

So it is almost easier to not have anything that takes too long or has too many ingredients so i could have been what I picked that was the problem. I will look more closely at the reviews.

Thanks.

dbmamaz
04-02-2012, 05:02 PM
I used to plan about 3-4 days at a time, but i'm so burnt right now, i'm planning the whole week at a time. I then write the shopping list by going through the recipes of what i'm going to cook. There are a few staples i keep around - cold cereal and milk(s), rice cakes and gf pretzels, plain tortilla chips, fruit, carrots and onions and potatoes, canned tomatoes, salsa . . .actually, iir, Pioneer Woman had a post recently about what she keeps in her pantry, and it had a lot of overlap with mine.

but no, buying food no one will eat is wasteful. I am upset if I have to throw away 2 cups worth of food a week . . . i keep it pretty tight, freezing anything that wont be eaten before it spoils, and not getting food we dont need

lakshmi
04-02-2012, 09:02 PM
Yes it has been quite amazing actually to see how much we actually eat. My husband did all the shopping and cooking. And now he isn't so I am doing it. And I am not eating nearly as much. And we're eating different flavor profiles and it is all quite interesting. I am somewhat enjoying it. I wish I had a better ability to throw things together. And be creative yet not wasteful. We don't eat much.

i need to plan for shopping tmw. That is the hard part for me. I could eat the same thing everyday. Maybe not really, but it is hard to have every meal at home. Kids eat so much. And they are so picky. etc.

dbmamaz
04-03-2012, 11:09 AM
so how did that end up changing? the designated cook?

lakshmi
04-03-2012, 11:12 AM
He left in February.

dbmamaz
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Oh, i'm sorry, I had no idea . . .

also, when i've cooked for just me and the kids, I tend to do more kid-focused meals and just clean up after them. great weight loss program. Cuz when i cook food I really like, I eat a LOT of it. You could also do meals 2 or 3 days and then have a leftovers night. I actually just had leftovers night for the first time since my daughter moved back a year ago - these teens just eat so much, its hard to have leftovers

lakshmi
04-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Ive noticed that I am buying a lot of food and not much is getting eaten. i am also noticing a lot of leftovers. So both good ideas. Glad that we could have this conversation. LOL....

I have also noticed that when I am watching the sales, I have bought several of things and am sort of stocked up. So, I am doing okay I think.

Airen
04-04-2012, 11:56 AM
I *love* allrecipes... but I refuse to look at anything until I hit sort by ratings... and sometimes the comments are invaluable...

As for getting creative? That comes with practice. I used to not be able to pull a thing together unless I had a recipe in front of me. Eventually I noticed that a lot of them are the same theme over and over again, so I play with flavors... I go through my box to get a general idea of what I want and go from there.

skrink
04-04-2012, 03:52 PM
I use allrecipes, but I also like food.com (used to be recipezaar.com). It's become my first stop when I'm looking for something new.

lakshmi
04-04-2012, 10:13 PM
I've seen that a couple of times. But i am not sure if I've used it or not. lol...

AuroraAidensMom
04-10-2012, 10:30 AM
I use allrecipes daily. I'm bad at not planning ahead...I have all sorts of things stocked up but I never know what we're going to have for dinner the next day...
I just go by a meat that we have and pick something from there that has gotten good reviews. I love the recipe box feature too. I dont know if I'd ever pay for the other version though. I love it because we always get to try something new by looking on there. =)