PDA

View Full Version : pop up videos?

farrarwilliams
03-31-2012, 08:07 AM
Are there now pop up video ads on this site? I've had a couple suddenly appear here. And they weren't able to be closed, which is rather uncool. I had to shut down the whole window.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-31-2012, 08:29 AM
I just got one, too. In the upper left corner of the screen. Boo.

wife&mommy
03-31-2012, 09:23 AM
Oh no, that is no fun! :( I haven't gotten one yet. I am using Chrome, though. They generally block pop ups? But I don't know if the videos are the same...

farrarwilliams
03-31-2012, 09:58 AM
Nope. I'm using Chrome and it came up. Twice now. :( That's a pretty big turn off - especially since, at least with Chrome, you have to shut down SHS to get rid of it. I think you could pause it maybe, but it would have still been there. It was just suddenly embedded in the page or something.

dbmamaz
03-31-2012, 10:33 AM
videos as in ads? how annoying! i havent seen any yet on firefox .. .

farrarwilliams
03-31-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I think it was an insurance ad? Blech. I just shut down the page immediately. Whenever sites have that, my first reaction is always VIRUS! and then I tend to not go back. If this wasn't a site I already really like, there's no way I would have come back if I'd seen that.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-31-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm using Chrome too. Mine was a food ad, I think. I didn't have the sound on.

Penguin
03-31-2012, 04:40 PM
I got one too. Didn't pay any attention to what it was for because I was too busy trying to figure out how to close it. I've never seen something like that before, sort of embedded in but on top of the page at the top left corner with no way to close it. I'm also using Chrome. It's only happened once but it was extremely annoying.

dottieanna29
03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
I'm on Firefox and haven't seen any yet. I hope I don't. I can't stand pop-up ads.

neobunny
03-31-2012, 08:44 PM
I'm using Chrome with AdBlock Plus so I don't see any ads at all.

farrarwilliams
03-31-2012, 10:04 PM
Honestly, you guys... it's such a turn off, I just said to dh that I thought I might not come back if I can't find a way to eliminate them. He was like, wow, that's a bit drastic as I know you really like that forum... but I really, really hate pop up videos. Gotta think about this, honestly. Firefox blocks them, huh? But I love my Chrome so much. And tell me about Adblock plus?

neobunny
04-01-2012, 07:58 AM
Here's the site for it http://adblockplus.org/en/
You can install it for chrome & firefox & I have it on both. My husband watched football steaming online this past season (we don't have cable) & without Abblock plus there were so many ads in the video that you could barely see the game. With it there's was maybe one or two that came up now & then.

hockeymom
04-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I haven't seen any with Firefox either. I'm with Farrar and immediately worry about viruses. It doesn't take much to turn me away from sites, though I'd hate to lose this one.

ksb427
04-01-2012, 10:04 AM
So far I haven't seen any (using Chrome) and don't have adblock. As for leaving the forum, no, I still wouldn't. Yes, it would be annoying, but this forum is just too valuable as a resource.

ginnyjf
04-01-2012, 10:10 AM
Mine was a food ad, too. And I'm using Chrome with adblock and I still saw it. I assumed it was from another site because I always browse with at least five tabs open, but it was from here? Yuck. I love this site, but ads that we can't close? Not cool.

ETA: I was wrong! I wasn't running Adblock Plus on Chrome but now I am; thanks Neobunny! Hopefully it will help.

ginnyjf
04-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Topsy, help! If it's a question of needing funds for the site, I'd be willing to chip in to eliminate the pop-up ads.

Topsy
04-01-2012, 10:24 AM
We're definitely not running any pop-ups...believe me when I say that would make ME quit using the site!! LOL!! I'll check with Michael to see where they might be coming from. More info soon, I promise...

farrarwilliams
04-01-2012, 10:31 AM
Okay, that's a huge relief. I feel like most of the loyal folks here would stay, but I think a lot of potential new people would be really turned off.

ginnyjf
04-01-2012, 10:35 AM
Thanks, Topsy!! Whatever we're paying you, it's not enough. Oh, wait...

Appreciate you giving your time and attention to it on the weekend.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-01-2012, 11:07 AM
I haven't had it happen today, but I notice that the same video ads are playing on that "invisible" sidebar. Remember Michael set it to automatically minimize because it was appearing on every page? Maybe if you click on those << arrows at the top to pull up the sidebar you'll be able to pause the video when it pops up in the corner. Just an idea...

farrarwilliams
04-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Mine's not playing on the invisible sidebar - it's in the left top corner, on top of the SHS logo and covering over some of the needed navigation stuff. It's weird. It can be paused, but not closed and it covers up useful things. And it's very random. Maybe only once in every dozen clicks, if that.

Thanks, Topsy (and Michael!) for looking into it. And not selling pop up video ads!

Topsy
04-02-2012, 06:58 AM
One question for those of you who are experiencing the pop-ups...is it only happening on the forum page? Or on the home page as well?

farrarwilliams
04-02-2012, 08:34 AM
Just the forum, I think. I only occasionally go to the main page.

Topsy
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Okay...so we think there must be one specific Google ad which is causing the issue. The good news is that we can ban individual ads from appearing on the site! The bad news is that I have no clue which ad is the offender because I haven't seen any pop-ups on my end. Can any of you who have seen the pop-up let me know what the pop-up ad is for so that we can remove it from the list?

ginnyjf
04-02-2012, 04:12 PM
Since using Ad Blocker I haven't seen it again. And sorry to say, I have a rotten memory but it was more than one pop-up ad. One was for food, I think. Cereal? I can't remember. The other one was different, but I closed the site so quickly I didn't catch it.

farrarwilliams
04-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah. I definitely saw two different ads. One was one I've seen on Hulu... I think it was cereal. The cereal was giant and talking. Wow. Ads are really weird, aren't they?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
04-02-2012, 05:20 PM
I got Kellogg's Milk Bites, which is the same video I see in the invisible side bar thingy. Which is what makes me think it's just a fluke of the site, not a virus. I haven't seen a video in the corner in a couple of days.

Topsy
04-02-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. We will definitely target the cereal ad for sure. Head back here to this thread to report any others you might see in the future. Sorry again for the inconvenience of these!