PDA

View Full Version : History books and resources for the midles school and junior high years?

jessicalb
06-04-2010, 10:08 AM
In a few months, we are starting World History at prehistory, with a plan to move forward through history up through modern times in about two years. We have done Usborne's World History, and plan on using DK's History: The Definitive Visual Guide, DK's World History Atlas, and National Geographic Concise History of the World: An Illustrated Time Line. I am wondering if there is anything with a kind of narrative format, kind of like Story of the World without the western, Christian bias.

Also, I am looking for some pre-made notebooking stuff (though I'll just make it up if I have to), good documentaries, pretty much any resources for teaching history at the middle school level.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

mommykicksbutt
06-05-2010, 10:24 AM
You sound like me a couple of years ago! Son covered the only ancients in 6th grade and we started 7th with the middle ages and we'll do the early modern/modern era for 8th.

My materials look very similar to yours...
We used Usborne Viking World,
The Kingfisher History Encyclopedia (2004 ed, the newer one had too many errors),
The Story of Mankind by Hendrik Willem Van Loon (skipping the 'biblical' chapters). This book reads like a novel in the narrative format. The Story of the World is a knock off of Van Loons book;
a computer program call "Time-Liner" to record timeline info,
a series of magazines - Learning Through History Magazine (http://www.learningthroughhistory.com/ ), tons of info in a magazine format, easy reading, it is a favorite of ours.
and the "Famous People" series from Performance Education (https://www.performance-education.com/ptp_list.php ). One person per page, starts like a story but gives lots of facts, short, sweet and to the point! Son loves these.

As we covered an area, I had him draw a map, labeling everything we covered: country boundaries, cities, rivers, trade routes, goods movements, the spread of the plague, etc... At the end of a "civilization" or era, I would have him write a short paper about significant contributions, changes, discoveries, etc that marked that civilization or era. Also, after we covered some civilizations of the same era, I would have him create a chart to compare and contrast the civilizations (such as their religions, geography, natural resources, goods, weapons, leadership/governance, etc...). He keeps everything in a big tabbed binder, sections for people, events, maps, essays, charts and graphs, and printed time lines (accordion folded into the book).

Hope this helps!

jessicalb
06-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Thank you! This is great info!!! I will definitely be referencing these ideas as we move through history. :D