PDA

View Full Version : Jr. Lego League

Numericmama
03-25-2012, 02:55 AM
I'm doing it! I signed up (and paid) today to become a team. I had to do it by April for this last challenge so I figured I'd better do it ASAP.

And I posted on 3 different places to find kids to join our team.

I could have enlisted our friends. But my son has known them for so long that a pattern is set. I was hoping for new people. But our friends were one of the first to contact us - so they are in. Other people are interested as well. Maybe some new blood will help to smooth out some of the patterns.

I love our friends - but honestly, the kids are so much smarter than my son that they tend to steamroll him (they are truly gifted). It is not their fault that they can make connections faster. I am just worried that my son (who is only bright) will never get to make the connections himself. He tends to back off because he knows that they are right. So I have to set it up (be the leader of the group so that my kid can think about the problem first for a bit) to allow him to be close to an even playing field.

and we honestly LOVE them. I am not in anyway dissing our friends. But I also don't want my son to be the one who always sits back and never learns to think.

We went to a First Robotics competition in Seattle today and it was really fun. The kids had watched some streaming competitions on the computer. But to be in person, to see the competitions, to meet the kids involved in making the machines was great. Plus the mentors were really happy to talk to us. It was good for my husband too. So tonight I set up our Jr. Lego League group and purchased a big set of legos for the group. I am so excited. I really want our kids to enjoy science and technology!

laundrycrisis
03-25-2012, 07:56 AM
But I also don't want my son to be the one who always sits back and never learns to think.

I completely understand what you mean. I want our son to have an opportunity to have his own light-bulb moments. I hope this team is fun for you all !

farrarwilliams
03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
Lego First intimidates me so I have not done it (I wish a certain someone I now would, but that's another story). But I do think if you run a team in general well, then part of it is about helping everyone learn to listen to each other and work together without leaving anyone out and that there are ways to do that and encourage it - team building type exercises and games, as well as teaching kids to work through consensus, even for small decisions like naming their team. So I would focus on those things in making your team, even if it's not with your ds's smarty pants friends.

Numericmama
03-25-2012, 10:00 PM
It will be great! The boys are really wonderful. My husband had to name the team so we could sign up, but I think I will have the kids rename it. I think we are going to have 6 kids, so I should be able to make sure that everyone gets a turn to contribute in some way.

One of the reasons that I wanted a non-sport team activity is so the kids could learn how to collaborate. I worry that as homeschoolers we won't get enough opportunity to practice this, but really, I didn't have good group project experiences in school either! So I think I probably worry too much. ;)

I'm intimidated too, thats why I'm starting with the junior level. I'm hoping I'll grow along with it.

Now I will be forced to keep the house cleaner! I need that extra motivation.

farrarwilliams
03-25-2012, 10:10 PM
Ha! The two years that I coached Destination Imagination, the main side benefit was that the house was always cleaned once a week enough to be presentable!

AuroraAidensMom
03-25-2012, 10:45 PM
This looks interesting..can someone explain to me what it is exactly? Never heard of this..looks like something fun for the future

Numericmama
03-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Here's the web site: http://www.juniorfirstlegoleague.org/what-is-jrfll.html

It's really neat. You register a team and get a curriculum. You do need to pay $25 for the team and buy the starter Lego kit.

Then over a period of 6 to 8 weeks you get the kids together to complete the annual challenge. The leadership packet is really thorough and even gives you a weekly plan. I was very worried, but they have made it really easy. The leader is a mentor and facilitates the kids doing the work in a group. It should be really fun!