PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Fieldtrips!

Dutchbabiesx2
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
I am so excited about our countdown. In 4 weeks we get to live our history lessons. We've been studying Ireland and The Netherlands, adding in Finland and Belgium in the next few weeks. We've calculated currency and traced our journey on the map and our classroom globe.
but soon the real adventure begins!
I am going to do a TravelPod blog with picture for our trip.
Wanted to hear from other world homeschoolers who've gotten the opportunity to really make the world your classroom.

2 yrs ago we got to go to Hungary, Croatia, Serbia and Montenegro and always The Netherlands. I hope to make this our tradition of going abroad and getting real life exposure to history we can study at home.

It has been great to see some connections between the Irish and Dutch history and also do some parallel study of what events were happening here in the US at the time some events were happening abroad, what precipitate what. We've left WW1 and WW2 for later for now and concentrated on events before 1900 and did some overview for the last 100+ yrs.

We are so excited!!

KristinK
03-24-2012, 10:19 PM
sounds awesome!!! I can't wait to hear all about it!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Sounds like a fantastic adventure! Please put a link to your TravelPod blog in your signature when it's up and running! My husband and I were telling the kids things that we had seen in Europe and we talked about how fun it would be to take a family trip there someday. Sadly, we may as well wish for a trip to the moon, finances being what they are.

farrarwilliams
03-25-2012, 08:42 AM
I'm all about the ultimate fieldtrips! Though after the one we just took, it'll be awhile before we can afford to do more than walk to the zoo... which is free. ;)

JenniferJ
03-25-2012, 09:54 AM
That does sound awesome! We always try to make the world our classroom, but as far as making it that far, it hasn't happened yet. For now we will travel the US in our rv and see and learn as much as we can. When my youngest gets a little bigger maybe then we can travel over seas! Have fun on your adventures!! ;)

Bugs
03-25-2012, 11:24 AM
If you get to Ieper (Yepres) stay at the Menin Gate House (you can find it on booking.com), its 100 E a night (which is pretty cheap) but its a whole house, full of history, is owned by the chairman of the last guard, who will give you a tour and share the history of the ceremony, and the town has a flanders field museum for WWI, and is right by the trenches of bayernwald. Its AMAZING.
Masstrict (netherlands), Brugge and West Vleteren Saint Sixtus (if you or your husband are beer lovers) and must see's in Belguim as well.

Bugs
03-25-2012, 11:26 AM
We're in France right now, with a broke down car, chillin in the countryside..... Its not Versailles ;-) but we're adventuring!

farrarwilliams
03-25-2012, 12:25 PM
Ooh, France! Spiffy, Bugs! We took the kids to Paris when they were littler, but now all they remember is crepes, cookies and puppet shows.

Dutchbabiesx2
03-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Bug . .thanks for the advice we already have accommodations in Brussels. In NL we stay to the north near family, but this time we have some time near Amsterdam too. still looking for accommodation in Dublin for a week for a good price!
I will put my TravelPod in my signature . .great suggestion!

Have fun in France, we will be in Brussels the 1-5 of June, not sure where you will be at that time!