PDA

View Full Version : Homeschooling my son for high school ??

gidamom
03-24-2012, 06:47 PM
I know I can't count on all of you for your opinions and advice.

I am just full of doubts regarding continuing to homeschool my son for high school :confused:

First of all, I am concerned about finding the best curriculum for him. As we used Calvert this year, I don't feel ready or knowledgable enough to put together a high school curriculum for him. Also, because he wants to take it one year at a time, do I need to find something that provides a certificate of completion or transcript in case he wants to return to a brick and mortar school??

Also, though the learning comes easily and naturally to him, he has definite areas for improvement in the responsibility, organization and time management areas. In a regular school he has to deal with this because of the structure and requirements. But I just don't know how to prepare him in these areas here at home. I know one of the things he loves about hs is that it is more flexible and relaxed, which does not help in my areas of concern.

Lastly, because we have no support groups, other than his performing arts classes, I do not have more ideas for providing more times and people he can hang out with.

I would love to hear your experiences and ideas. I REALLY DO want to continue to homeschool him if it is what he feels is best for him...but I want to do it the best way possible

Accidental Homeschooler
03-24-2012, 11:19 PM
I am having similar feelings of uncertainty right now. My dd is in 8th grade. Next year she will go to high school part time and take online high school classes through the community college. Those credits will transfer to our local high school if she decideds she wants a high school diploma. Nothing we do at home will. So basically she will try high school part time and keep the option open to return full-time and graduate. After a year we will decide if she goes for the high school diploma or we switch back to hs and just use the high school for some classes. I guess basically, we are putting off the decision for a year. It is hard because I keep thinking about college and want her to get into a good one and, like you, am not trusting myself to have her ready.

gidamom
03-25-2012, 10:19 AM
Where we live ps is not an option. So if he DID decide to go back to a traditional school at some point in high school, it would be a private school. Now, each school makes their own decisions and has their own guidelines, so I feel like having some sort of certificate of completion is the only way to guarantee that he will be able to go into the grade he's supposed to if he goes back?

I don't know, I'm so confused!! I wouldn'y know where to get that, plus what if he does want to hs all the way through?? How do I get him well prepared?? Like you, I am not trusting that I know enough to get him fully prepared :(

Accidental Homeschooler
03-25-2012, 11:05 AM
Have you talked to anyone at the school where he would go if he went back to see what they accept for transfer credit? That might be the first step. I got this information from our school district website. Our district high schools will only transfer in 60 credits of the 300+ needed to graduate. Dd would have to go full time her junior and senior years to graduate. And then there is PE. She needs to take four trimesters of PE so if she doesn't take it in 9th grade she will be making it up later. That is the most stupid one in my opinion, she could have enough credits, go full time her last two years, but if she doesn't do 4 trimesters of PE she would not graduate. There is no way to do PE anywhere but in school.

dbmamaz
03-25-2012, 12:09 PM
I agree about checking with the local high school to see what the options are - in virginia, its really hard to drop back in. You know, while he might be forced to learn to be more responsible in high school, it wont come overnight. My daughter spent years crying over forgotten homework assignments. The most common tactic is to start them at community college as dual enrolled students in Junior year if they are mature enough, or even earlier. That gives them a chance to develop some of those habits. and community colleges are much more pleasant environments - not prison-like like the high schools. Other than that - yeah, look for clubs for his interests, and really, if both of you are motivated, its not that hard. Look at The Well Trained Mind again, maybe, or look at the typical curriculum at your high school, and try to model it after that. Math, science, english, history/social studies, foreign language. Try to find somewhere he can do some volunteer work. Its not really all that hard

curious why he wants to take it year by year? What are his concerns about school vs about homeschool?