PDA

View Full Version : Vegan recipes

JenniferJ
03-24-2012, 05:41 PM
Just curious if there are any other vegans out there with some great family recipes they'd like to share. I would love to find some new things to share with my family. I have tried to make a few things in my slow cooker bc in the summer I want to be outside and not stuck inside over the stove. Would love any recipes anyone's willing to share!! ;)

Ellie's mom
03-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Great! give me some hints what your family will eat: any vegetable phobias or chili intolerance?
My DD doesn't like slippy textures and DH hates carrots and celery and and...

Our favorites are green potato tacos, Spanish rice (paella), pesto pasta and also falafel when I feel like putting in that much effort.

JenniferJ
03-26-2012, 08:11 AM
My kids will try anything....at least once. :) The only things that they absolutely will not touch are Brussels sprouts and store bought bread. Lol Green potato tacos sound very interesting! I make tacos but I use lentils (I make extra and freeze for quick meals or vacations). I love falafels! I bake them, rather than the normal frying. I would love any recipes you're willing to share. I feel like I get stuck in the same routines with the same foods, but it's easy, you know?!

Ellie's mom
03-27-2012, 04:26 AM
The tacos are basically baked/boiled spuds rough mashed into a skillet of olive oil sauteed cilantro, green chillies (mild or hot), garlic and liberal seasonings of cumin seed oregano and smaller amounts of clove and white pepper. Finish off with salt to taste and a splash of pickled pepper juice or vinegar or lime juice (I use up caper liquid too).

Tender whole-wheat tortillas are what we have here to stuff into; corn would be nice too if griddled to greasy crispness.
Garnishes are not necessary but some green olives and thinly sliced cabbage work.

Very flexible proportions. For 3 med potatoes, a good bunch cilantro and tsp each cumin oregano; bare sprinkle of clove (or allspice) and white pepper. For kick, habanero or green tabasco. Aim for a slight tanginess with the vinegar just to cut the oil.

Stores well in fridge at least a week.