PDA

View Full Version : There is really nothing more pathetic

Wilma
06-03-2010, 10:59 PM
than a middle aged woman who thinks, sometimes, that she still has it.

A few years ago I had my ego knocked down a bit when I was in the wine store purchasing some vin ordinaire. The young man ringing up my purchase, whom I assume attended the local university, asked to see my ID. I had not been carded in years and I made a show of saying "really? You're kidding?" He then sheepishly said, "Um, your credit card says 'see ID.""

Today I'm at Target and my kids kept calling me telling me all the injustices being heaped upon them by their other sisters. So, of course, to relieve the tension, I had to try some of the new instant dry nail polish from Sally Hansen. I got something called Sea Foam or some other nonsense.

2 Hours later I am at Wal Mart walking across the parking lot. This guy is looking at me up and down, and I am thinking, "OMG! I'm being checked out! It's been so long!" And then it gets weird. He flashes me this huge smile and says,"I really like you toe nail polish. I look at toe nail polish a lot and I really like yours."

Great, so now the foot fetishist like my toes. This, on top of the inlaw visit.

dbmamaz
06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
The first time a guy was checking out my daughter instead of me was a definite wake-up call . . OLD! Its ok, 'you're old' is my husband and my affectionate way of greeting each other.

hjdong
06-04-2010, 01:57 AM
That's so funny! And gross.

Snoopy
06-04-2010, 02:41 AM
LOL Wilma, you're hysterical :) I mean in the "funny" sense of the word.

I have a similar story about being carded. I was at the grocery store cash register a couple of weeks ago and this woman was ahead of me. She was obviously older than 21, but younger than me - maybe in her 30s. She was buying some wine and the cashier (an older guy) apologized but said he had to card her. So she was delighted and was reassuring him that it was no problem so I chimed in and explained that after our mid-20s, we actually take it as a compliment to be carded so card away and I tell a story that was funny and we're all laughing about it and so he checks her ID and off she goes. I'm next and I'm buying beer for my husband. The cashier and I are still talking about the whole situation and how he felt bad to ask now because he had gotten his head chewed off by several people recently who had gotten annoyed at having to show ID. So I reassure him once again that i LOVE showing my ID and he laughs and then hits the bypass button on the register, hands me my receipt and sends me on my way without asking for MY ID. The jerk. I was so insulted because it's not like I'm a senior citizen either! DH just laughed and laughed when I told him the story.

reversemigration
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Too funny. Still, Ann, wouldn't it be worse to be snubbed by the foot-fetish set? Your toes have still got it!

BPier12
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
LOL!! Oh Ann, this reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. After hemming and hawing about whether or not to attend my 20th college reunion, I decided to get over all the angst and anxiety about it and just go. It was a fantastic weekend, I reconnected with a lot of people and got to know others from my class whom I did not know well in college. The whole thing was a blast and I was feeling very sassy and perky and thinking that I looked pretty darn good compared to some of my classmates. As I was driving (6 hours) home wearing my new sweatshirt with my college's name on it, I decided I needed to stop for a snack and some coffee. When I got to the cash register, the young guy behind the counter said to me, after looking at my sweatshirt, "Oh, I just spent the weekend there. Cool school. Do you have a child that goes there?". Talk about deflating a mood! I still get a good laugh about that.

inmom
06-04-2010, 10:49 AM
Very funny.

Recently a 47 yo friend of mine was shopping and was told she'd get the senior citizen's discount (which kicks in at 55 at this particular store). At first, she was upset. But then she thought a moment and felt "Gee, if they want to give me the discount, well then, go ahead!!"

Wilma
06-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Remember the scene in Toy Story where Ralphie is waiting in line to see Santa and the kid behind him says "I really like Santa" in that very creepy voice? That is what this guy sounded like. Only it was worse because he was talking about my toes!:eek:

allison
06-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Not out in public, but treachery within the walls of my castle!! After sometime, it dawned on me and my husband that our children were groaning and grunting every time they had to pick up something off the floor, or bend over, or tie a shoe, or rescue something from under the couch... you got it… Pure mimicry. It was us grunting and moaning as we moved our not-so-old bones around and I guess we did it so much that they thought it was an integral aspect of movement. Yikes!
We stretch a lot more now, keep a bit more limber and keep the aches and pains to ourselves… and we are still in our 30’s!!! Nobody told us!! The downhill run creeps up on you fast and then just speeds up!

paganmomblog
06-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Wanna know what is pathetic?? 34 yo (soon to be 35) semi-healthy woman who gets mail from The Scooter Store (motorized chairs for elderly and handicapped in case you are wondering).

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o307/Alegna75/scooter.jpg

Wilma
06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Wanna know what is pathetic?? 34 yo (soon to be 35) semi-healthy woman who gets mail from The Scooter Store (motorized chairs for elderly and handicapped in case you are wondering).

http://www.twitpic.com/1nguy4

No way!
I'm just waiting for the AARP literature to start appearing in a few years.

paganmomblog
06-04-2010, 03:46 PM
Ugh same here! My mother got hers long before my dad. I think it's a conspiracy to attack the women first.

amphibology29
06-04-2010, 04:11 PM

Okay, I have to admit, I laughed at that one. A lot. But at what you wrote, not at getting it! :D

Snoopy
06-04-2010, 05:25 PM
LOL!! Oh Ann, this reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. After hemming and hawing about whether or not to attend my 20th college reunion, I decided to get over all the angst and anxiety about it and just go. It was a fantastic weekend, I reconnected with a lot of people and got to know others from my class whom I did not know well in college. The whole thing was a blast and I was feeling very sassy and perky and thinking that I looked pretty darn good compared to some of my classmates. As I was driving (6 hours) home wearing my new sweatshirt with my college's name on it, I decided I needed to stop for a snack and some coffee. When I got to the cash register, the young guy behind the counter said to me, after looking at my sweatshirt, "Oh, I just spent the weekend there. Cool school. Do you have a child that goes there?". Talk about deflating a mood! I still get a good laugh about that.
LOL! What a smackdown! LOL. Didn't you just reach across the counter and smack him on the side of the head? lol.

Snoopy
06-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Ugh same here! My mother got hers long before my dad. I think it's a conspiracy to attack the women first. YES! And you'll notice that it's the only mail that you will get in your OWN name, because everything else gets addressed to your HUSBAND'S NAME even if he's not on the account. This one really burns me. The mortgage is in my name only but everything that is related to the mortgage company that is mailed gets addressed to my husband.

hockeymom
06-04-2010, 07:41 PM
My husband and I have a policy that we will not shop at stores where the sales people only talk to HIM. Same for repair guys, etc. Thank goodness it irks him as much as me!

These are hilarious, but only because we all go through it. Thanks for the awesome laughs!

reversemigration
06-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Remember the scene in Toy Story where Ralphie is waiting in line to see Santa and the kid behind him says "I really like Santa" in that very creepy voice? That is what this guy sounded like. Only it was worse because he was talking about my toes!:eek:

Ew. Ick. Yeah, creepy!