PDA

View Full Version : OMG! Help ME NOT GO CRAZY!

GothicGyrl
03-22-2012, 02:28 PM
I am so ready to be done with high school, so very ready. But not for reasons you may think :)
(By the way, HI! I know it has been forever!)

I am so ready to be done because I can't find a **^&&^%&^$%$^%$^$ thing used that I need! Everyone is hoarding them for their younger kids (save for later).. UGH..

I've tried ebay, this site, even the WTM site (5 pages of elementary stuff for sale--really?)...

I need to find (quite cheaply):

Teaching Textbooks Algebra 2 (or a video/dvd program like it that won't cost me my 1st and 2nd born! One person was selling this USED for $135..really? For that price I can just buy it new)

EITHER the Study of Art set from Oak Meadow or The Masterpiece Cards set (like, a LOT cheaper than the $81 I've seen it for) OR an art HISTORY program that incorporates writing into it.

I am so done trying to make the most of the very little bit of money we have..everyone is hoarding, no one is selling anything I can use and when they do, it's only slightly less than retail!

Help!?!?!??!!?

dbmamaz
03-22-2012, 04:05 PM
Just curious have you really checked out khan academy? It's free . . .cant help with art, tho, cuz I don't teach art.

GothicGyrl
03-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I have checked it out, yes. But for Algebra 2, I really need ALL the concepts explained because I simply black out at the thought. :) I can teach all the way through Algebra 1 without a problem though. :)

Khan also has art on there, but the videos are very boring.. The two who narrate are valley girl central (lots of "like you know" and "omgosh" throughout the few videos I saw). The art videos are just a few images with voiceover poorly done, IMHO.

Accidental Homeschooler
03-23-2012, 09:59 AM
I have no ideas for the math, but are you near a good library? Ours carries a lot of the Great Courses and there are many for art history.

GothicGyrl
03-23-2012, 11:13 AM
we DO use the library when they have the dvd's (oh yes we do). DH will be looking that up this weekend to see what we can get.

dragonfly
03-23-2012, 12:32 PM
Thinkwell (http://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/) has really great math programs that are all online. Homeschool Buyer's Co-op offers a sale from them every few months, and you can usually get any Thinkwell course for half price. That makes them about $67. You can get CDs too, if you don't want to rely on being online, they are an extra $25.

My son and I used Alg. 2 last year and liked it a lot. It was comprehensive and easy to follow.

GothicGyrl
03-23-2012, 01:07 PM
I'm looking into thinkwell also. DD likes the way the guy teaches better than Teaching Textbooks, but TT is really making her and my bonus student blossom in math. I'm afraid to change that. I am actually checking Homeschool Buyers co-op now for more ideas. DH does like the idea of bulk buying (and I wish they'd offer Rosetta Stone MUCH cheaper than they do, but I know that's out of their reach)..

ginnyjf
03-23-2012, 01:20 PM
Don't know if you have access to an iPhone or iPod Touch or iPad, but there is an art app by ADS Software Group, called "Art." They have a free version and a paid version for 99 cents. There are over 6,000 works available with artist biographies and quizzes.

GothicGyrl
03-23-2012, 01:35 PM
I have all three available and I DID NOT know about that app. Off to itunes to check that one out. :)

lakshmi
03-24-2012, 12:27 AM
Neat app Ginny, and nice avatar!!

I have nothing to say other than that buying used stuff is such BS.. because it rarely seems any good. Used is cheap folks, come on!! I get so frustrated when I look for anything used. So I stopped!

dbmamaz
03-24-2012, 07:14 PM
used is what you can get for it . . .

GothicGyrl
03-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Lakshmi--that's my point. I try to find used on everything I get and I either cannot find high school level or if I do it is very religious in nature, OR the used item is bumped so far up in price, I might as well buy it new.

Case in point: Last year I was looking for Teaching Textbooks Geometry. Everywhere I looked, used price (USED!) was over $100. The item is only $180 brand spanking new! I finally found it used for $75, but it took MONTHS of looking. I'm now looking for TT algebra 2 and I'm running into the same problem. One person is asking $135 for it NOT including shipping! i would purchase from these people almost immediately but I cannot because they mark the price so high up.

If you use an item for one year or 10 years, doesn't matter--used is used and it is at the very most, half the price of the item new. That is standard all across the board.

lakshmi
03-25-2012, 01:03 PM
According to Dbmamaz, used is what you can get for it. And that is where we're running into problems.

When I see stuff offered, I offer them a price and see if they take it. If they don't no harm no foul. I like new stuff because I feel like I am missing something getting used stuff. The amount of money I save, is the exact amount of time I have to put into figuring out if any parts are missing.

Good luck finding something that isn't Apologia! <evil laugh>

laq997
03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
i gave up getting used, just couldn't find it.. as for math algebra 2 .. not in love with saxon so stick with DVD if you kid will use it (mine wouldn't and she has 'paid the price')...
look at jacobs geometry (i loved it, she didn't but she hates math)
apologia.. um *looking around shyly* i gave in and got it for high school - just couldn't find anything else. next year we do AP enviro *happy dance* but in middle school/elementary we used singapore science ... (also singapore math - original not public school version)
--
your right high school stuff is hard to find - say looking at everything from 8th grade up sitting on my shelf that we are keeping for reference ... sorry.