PDA

View Full Version : idea: "Book Report" using Pinterest

PrairiePoppins
03-21-2012, 02:03 PM
I'm feeling rather puffed up with my own cleverness just now. (It doesn't happen often, so let me have it.:cool:) I was casting about for a way to get my daughter to do a book report that wasn't a book report. She likes Pinterest, which is a visual way to bookmark things. You can use it just as a bookmarking service or as an inspiration board.

I realized that I could have her make a board for a character! It would force her to think about what she thinks the defining characteristics of the character are and then track down images to 'pin'. She's reading "Anne of Green Gables" and has to do 2 characters, at least 10-15 pins per character, and include both pictures and words. Right now, she's only settled on Anne. you can see what she's managed in the course of an hour here (http://pinterest.com/sandraschira/anne/)if you're interested.

I'd love to hear other ways that you're using the internet to homeschool.

wife&mommy
03-21-2012, 05:22 PM
That is a really neat idea!

baker
03-21-2012, 08:24 PM
How old is your daughter? I am reading "Anne of Green Gables" to may dd (8) as part of bedtime routine (we always read to our kids). I am 50 and never read it and am truly enjoying the story, the characters, the writing! I'm a Pinterest "stalker", never pinned anything "new" (just look at recipes, etc for my own enjoyment). I feel that any project that gets the kids to think about what they are reading/learning is a good thing.

ginnyjf
03-21-2012, 09:04 PM
This is a very clever way to incorporate internet interests with studies - well done! :)

FLDebbie
03-21-2012, 10:14 PM
This is a great idea and I love her board. She has captured the spirit of Anne quite well. I think I might try something like this with my son.

PrairiePoppins
03-22-2012, 07:53 AM
My daughter's 15. She struggled with vision problems and so her reading was delayed. About 2 years ago she started reading at grade level. I hemmed and hawed about 'assigning' "Anne". The series of 8 books remain my favourite books after all these years of reading and I had always hoped she'd discover "Anne" on her own. But she isn't the type to like reading soft and lovely books, preferring feisty and fabulous instead. Nonetheless, I assigned it as part of our Canadian studies for Gr 9.

gidamom
03-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Awesome idea!!

Avalon
03-26-2012, 11:10 PM
I love this idea! My daughter is very visual, I bet she'd enjoy doing this. Thank you!

laq997
03-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Love it - great idea

rumbledolly
04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Wow I love this idea! I let my DD use pinterest since it stopped her from asking "when can I have a FB page"!

Thanks for sharing. I love net technology ideas.

Mika
04-06-2012, 11:19 AM
That really is an awesome idea. I also have an idea that really inspired my daughter instead of a plain old book report or essay. I had her create a diary for a minor character in Oedipus the King. The twist is she did it on blogger.com. She pretty much had to channel what this character's perspective would be based on the events but in real-time. My daughter thought the assignment was challenging and fun. She really got into it. My parameters for her were to relate the blog entries to significant events. She found ways to place this minor character at the "scene" of events without contaminating the original play. Here's the link http://ifthefatesarewilling.blogspot.com/.

Freedom
12-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Love, love, love your idea.

Off subject-Our dd was hooked on Carmen Santiago games several years ago so I created an email account for my fake C.Santiago character. Dd would check my email each morning to see if C.S. had emailed a new clue. The clues included info about different parts of the world but would leave her having to research a country. Once she sent a correct reply, C.S. would accidently leave a clue as to where the a cheap peace of costume jewelry or gem was in the house. A couple of years later, I sent her letters from a girl who was leaving to board the Titanic. She would reply to my letters as if she were a girl in Austrailia wishing she were on the great ship also. It was so much fun.

We will definately do the Pinterest thing. Thanks so much for sharing with the rest of us. I love this forum. ;)

melissa
12-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Great idea! Now I MUST reread 'Anne'. Loved the books and the movies as a kid.