PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Arizona!

jessicalb
06-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Hi, I'm Jessica. I homeschool my only kiddo, 12 year old Alex. He will be entering the 7th grade this fall, and has been educated at home since he finished the third grade. He was mostly academically successful in school, but was often bored and an easy target for kids to harass, so he was very unhappy there. He loves being home and I love having him here, despite the days when we can't seem to get along. ;)

I work from home full time doing web design and graphic design. I also love to sew, craft, do photography, play with computers, all kinds of stuff. As a family we do a lot of Uno, Mario Kart, movie watching, etc. We love the science center in the summer and the zoo in the winter. It's HOT here!

At the beginning we were pure unschoolers, which I think was perfect for what we needed at the time. Later, Alex began asking for more direction and instruction, and we have now evolved to use a kind of classical-eclectic approach. Funds are tight so that drives a lot of our curriculum choices, and we end up using the library, the web, and inexpensive workbooks for most of our school. We're just finishing up world history this summer and then will be taking a couple months off before we start the cycle again.

We are members of a local homeschool group that we really love. It is a Christian group but they are very flexible and understanding so it works out nicely eventhough we are atheists. It would be nice to meet more homeschoolers who have a more secular focus, which is why I am here! :)

pandahoneybee
06-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Welcome Jessica! We too have a Alex (going into the 8th grade)!

This is a wonderful site with alot of homeschoolers with great ideas and love to share them. Can't wait to get to know ya more!

Riceball_Mommy
06-03-2010, 09:45 AM
Welcome to the site :)

StartingOver
06-03-2010, 11:21 AM
Welcome Jessica ! It is hot here in Texas too, we go to the Aquarium and Science Centers a lot in the summer. Saving outdoor things for winter. ;-)

BPier12
06-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Hi Jessica and Welcome!

I have a 12 year old son also and he is going into 8th grade. Today is his last day of "brick and mortar" school and we will start the homeschooling adventure slowly this summer and get more focused this fall. After all of my research, I think we are heading into a classical-eclectic approach as well, but I'm sure that over time things will change as we discover what works for us and what doesn't.

That's great that you have a good homeschool support group. The only group in our area is Christian based too and I'm not sure it will be a good fit for us, but I'm willing to give it a try and maybe it will turn out to be a positive resource for us.

This forum has been a great source of information and support for me and I hope that you have that experience here as well! :)

Snoopy
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Welcome Jessica! I also have an Alex, but he's 16 and not homeschooled. However, I think your son might be a red-head and so is my son and he is loving it! Am I wrong about yours having red hair?

I think it's awesome that the local group has been so welcoming of you, even though I'm more of a misanthrope myself, I think it's important for have local support as well. My support system is spread in all directions about 1 hour away, but we do manage to get together for a monthly park day, field trips, moms night out, and it's been great. I do wish we were more active as a local group though but my efforts to energize the group have fallen on deaf ears. It's hot here too (Central FL) but our temps don't reach the extremes you get in AZ.

Looking forward to chatting with you more in other threads!

jessicalb
06-04-2010, 09:04 AM
Hi Jessica and Welcome!

I have a 12 year old son also and he is going into 8th grade. Today is his last day of "brick and mortar" school and we will start the homeschooling adventure slowly this summer and get more focused this fall. After all of my research, I think we are heading into a classical-eclectic approach as well, but I'm sure that over time things will change as we discover what works for us and what doesn't.

That's great that you have a good homeschool support group. The only group in our area is Christian based too and I'm not sure it will be a good fit for us, but I'm willing to give it a try and maybe it will turn out to be a positive resource for us.

This forum has been a great source of information and support for me and I hope that you have that experience here as well! :)

Ohhh good luck with the transition! That first year was really tough for us, but it was SO worth it! :)

jessicalb
06-04-2010, 09:06 AM
Welcome Jessica! I also have an Alex, but he's 16 and not homeschooled. However, I think your son might be a red-head and so is my son and he is loving it! Am I wrong about yours having red hair?

He is definitely a redhead! It gets blonder in the summer but it's still red and it shows. He has the temper to match. ;)

Thank you all for the warm welcome! :)

Green Vixen
06-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Hi Jessica,

Welcome to the board! My kids and I are actually down in Arizona (Scottsdale) right now visiting. It is so hot :) We are loving it though and are spending lots of time in the pool! Do you happen to know if there are any educational/homeschool supply stores in the Phoenix area? Looking forward to "seeing" you around the boards!

Marisa

jessicalb
06-05-2010, 08:40 AM
Hi Marisa! It is INSANELY hot! We got really sunburned yesterday at the pool, even with tons of sunblock. :( Glad you are enjoying it, though! How long will you be here? There is a big homeschooling conference in July. It will be my very first one, and I am super excited. :D

I've been to Teaching Stuff at 4961 West Bell Road, Glendale. It's pretty good, though their prices are high sometimes. When I lived near there, I would go look and find great stuff, write it down, then come home and find a deal on the web. If you go to Google maps and put in "teaching store 85302", that should give you a bunch more results, but I haven't been to any others.

Shoe
06-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Welcome to the site, Jessica. I look forward to getting to know you better.

reversemigration
06-06-2010, 10:57 PM
Welcome, Jessica...I doubt I can add anything more than everyone else has already said, but it's good to see you here!