PDA

View Full Version : Got diagnosis - he has autism

Penguin
03-14-2012, 01:46 AM
Today DH and I went for our final meeting with the Autism Center. B went for one initial eval before Christmas, and had 3 psychologist/ testing appointments in Feb.

Diagnosis is autism. And possibly anxiety. He has a high-average IQ (115), but that was brought down by his processing speed (80), everything else was in the high 120s.

She didn't specify Asperger's, which we had suspected, due to his issues with self-care and adaptive behaviors. He is probably HFA, but she didn't really qualify it at all -- just talked about how it all really was going to be gathered under the one umbrella of ASD.

I feel RELIEF. There *is* something different about him, it's not just my terrible parenting skills. The last 7 years have been hard, and now I know there's a reason. And I feel pissed off (and childishly "told-you-so"-ish) at all the people -- friends, family, teaching and medical professionals -- who over the last 4 years have assured me that he's fine, he couldn't be on the spectrum. Well, he IS. I was right.

The path from here is a little unclear. We had an hour long meeting and she talked about three kinds of therapy, one of which (Behavioral Therapy) is available through them, and she referred us for that. The others (Speech Language Therapy for communication, and I forgot the other one) we need to find, preferably closer to home. Unfortunately we didn't take notes. We'll get a written report in 4 weeks though.

He qualifies for an IEP, so we will begin, I suppose, by approaching the Director of his school program (a Parent Partnership Program, sort of like a homeschool co-op run through the school district which he attends a few hours a week), and see where we go from there. The school district has a Speech Therapist which might make things easier -- local and paid for -- at least. I'll not work with the district if the staff aren't supportive of homeschooling, but our district is historically pretty positive about that. He may also qualify for the Highly Capable Learners program which would get him some more social contact in the form of a once a week seminar, and give me a break from him.

I am so happy to have a label!!

Numericmama
03-14-2012, 01:52 AM
I'm glad that you have an answer so that you can determine a direction. It can be so frustrating sitting and spinning your wheels.

And I'm sorry you felt so much judgement from people!

Best,

aselei
03-14-2012, 02:13 AM
I just wanted to say that I'm in WA too, and the school has been very supportive of homeschooling and working with my to get my son (diagnosed with Asperger's) the help he needs. They have an hour a week that they work with him, for a social group, OT, and Speech. The OT that we have is the best we've ever worked with. I wish you luck!

-Also, IMO, IQ tests for kids on the spectrum can be really negatively skewed due to their quirks. My son has had three and they've been all over the place, even though I've been told by two different psychologists that the number would remain fairly constant. The last psych finally said that some were probably really off because he was bored.

hockeymom
03-14-2012, 07:11 AM
I can feel your relief through your words! I'm so glad for you that you finally got what you needed to move forward! (( ))

FWIW: my doctor yesterday mentioned how Aspergers has become a sort of catchall word, but that he prefers to think in terms of the entire spectrum ("normal"--which he quickly conceded doesn't exist anyway--to severely autistic). It sounds similar to what your doctor was saying as well.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
03-14-2012, 09:41 AM
Yes, I think the new edition of the diagnostic manual takes out subcategories like Asperger's and PDD-NOS and just lumps everyone into "Autism Spectrum Disorder."

Good luck, Penguin. I'm glad to hear that it's a relief to get a diagnosis and it will give you some ideas moving forward.

dbmamaz
03-14-2012, 09:52 AM
Congrats on having a dx! Is does make it easier for ppl to be understanding sometimes

MarkInMD
03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
Yes, I think the new edition of the diagnostic manual takes out subcategories like Asperger's and PDD-NOS and just lumps everyone into "Autism Spectrum Disorder."

Yes, according to my pediatric OT wife. The latest DSM has changed to a blanket ASD diagnosis, possibly adding "with ______ tendencies" at the discretion of the one making the diagnosis.

Good to hear that you've got some idea of where to go with this.