PDA

View Full Version : The last day

BPier12
06-03-2010, 08:46 AM
Today is DS's last day of brick and mortar school. I'll admit I got a little teary when I sent him off to the bus this morning. We've been living this routine for a long time and it will take some readjusting to transform ourselves into full-time homeschoolers. There has been a lot going on this week that has caused us to reassess our decision to homeschool, but last night we firmly committed to it and I'm excited and I'm looking forward to sharing the adventure with you all. :)

hockeymom
06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Congratulations to you and your son! We are new to this too and it is scary, but already it is such a wonderful adventure and "feels right". I hope you get to celebrate this big change! :)

BPier12
06-03-2010, 09:01 AM
Congratulations to you and your son! We are new to this too and it is scary, but already it is such a wonderful adventure and "feels right". I hope you get to celebrate this big change! :)

Thanks, hockeymom! We're celebrating tonight with a dinner full of things that my son loves to eat but are often too time-consuming to make and then I think he wants to sleep for a couple of days because the poor guy is exhausted. End of school + growth spurt = a tired and somewhat cranky 12 year old!

Glad to hear that you are starting off well! Continued success!

Wilma
06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Congratulations on reaching this milestone! You are going to do great, I have no doubt. I am very excited to hear you journey through homeschooling.

BPier12
06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Congratulations on reaching this milestone! You are going to do great, I have no doubt. I am very excited to hear you journey through homeschooling.

Thanks, Ann! I appreciate the vote of confidence! :D

pandahoneybee
06-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Congrats! You both are in for a fun and wild ride;) 3+ years and never looked back (well maybe the day my oldest said a cuss word in front of me;), my youngest said I can't believe you said that in front of MOM)

You are going to do GREAT!

StartingOver
06-03-2010, 11:41 AM
Congrats !!! The first step is always the hardest. ;-)

Take some time off to deschool if needed ! Remember you can take breaks when needed ! It's ok to have life school sometimes, we took a complete year off when my mother was ill, the kids still learned tons through the real life experience. Try to have fun, although it isn't always possible, it sure makes it easier!

Come to rant, rave, or just chat often, I am sure someone has been through what ever you will face. And even if we haven't, we will do our best to help you out !

paganmomblog
06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Yay for you and your son!

We are starting hs this year as well. My girls' and son have one more week of school/pre-k, makes me wonder if it will be a semi-sweet sad day for us as well. I know right now we are all counting down the days.

reversemigration
06-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Beth, these last days of B&M school definitely are a roller coaster. It's great that you're starting the summer on a positive note (and we'll be over for dinner ;)) I've no doubt that you'll have a great year! I think Jana's advice of deschooling (and destressing) is a good one, although I'm having a tough time restraining myself from loading up on things this summer.

Max's last day is tomorrow. I've been having cold feet this week, as his situation in school improved significantly towards the end of the year. My wife put it pretty succinctly, though, when she said, "It's good that he'll leave on a good note."

hjdong
06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Congrats! Enjoy your celebration.

StartingOver
06-03-2010, 03:03 PM
Beth, these last days of B&M school definitely are a roller coaster. It's great that you're starting the summer on a positive note (and we'll be over for dinner ;)) I've no doubt that you'll have a great year! I think Jana's advice of deschooling (and destressing) is a good one, although I'm having a tough time restraining myself from loading up on things this summer.

Max's last day is tomorrow. I've been having cold feet this week, as his situation in school improved significantly towards the end of the year. My wife put it pretty succinctly, though, when she said, "It's good that he'll leave on a good note."

It is great to end on a good note !!

I love summer. I have always lightened the load in the summer, I still keep going with math, reading and a daily journal ( an art journal for my little ones, or a photo journal of things we did ) because I feel they can lose the most ground on over a summer in these. Other than that we do tons of experiments and fun stuff. Swim lessons, all the museums and science centers we can find, the aquarium, etc.

BPier12
06-03-2010, 03:27 PM

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ben. It means a lot to know that I've not been the only one reworking the decision over and over this week! In addition to homeschooling, this week we were 1) Contemplating skipping 8th grade all together and enrolling him in the local charter high school that has a performing arts emphasis (DS LOVES theatre -- acting, tech, all of it) and 2) Keeping him at the private school where he has been going because they offered us a last minute financial aid boost that was almost too good to be true. Everyone wanted an answer by the end of this week. My DH and I talked about all the options last night, DS joined us and when I asked him what his choice would be of all three options, he replied without hesitating, "Homeschool". That clinched it for me. It is what he wants, it offers him the best education (I hope!!) and gives us so many more options for what we can do together as a family.

So, I agree with your wife. It is very good that Max is leaving on a good note. You will be a great teacher and guide on his journey and I look forward to hearing about what the two of you discover together.

Oh, and you all are welcome to dinner anytime! :D

Good luck tomorrow!

Snoopy
06-03-2010, 05:14 PM
So.... what IS for dinner? We'll be there around 7:30, ok? lol.

This is your official WELCOME to the world of homeschooling. You're truly one of us now! How does it feel? lol. Oh, the pit in your stomach? It'll go away soon. Jump in, the water is just fine ;)

StartingOver
06-03-2010, 05:48 PM

This is your official WELCOME to the world of homeschooling. You're truly one of us now! How does it feel? lol. Oh, the pit in your stomach? It'll go away soon. Jump in, the water is just fine ;)

;) WE need a smilie rolling around !!!

firefly
06-04-2010, 10:58 AM
Beth and Ben, You aren't alone. My oldest DD's last full B&M school day is today. She is going on a beach field trip Mon-Wed and Thur is 1/2 day - field day. I got an email asking where to send their records... and it hit me. All the positive things of the last few years + Am I really ready to h/s again w/ kids 24/7?

The good news is that I've done this before - So, take heart fellow h/sers you will do better than "fine". That little bit of fear is what will get you up in the a.m. Hopefully, this time next year you will either hold a deep personal knowledge that h/s was great for your kid(s), or you will have the copy of some test to prove it. In my case I always had both! This is your turn to do it your way and enjoy!

Yes, I am scared. But 95% of that is financial. You know, you can never have too much money... H/Sing is like an full time educational vacation!

BPier12
06-04-2010, 11:40 AM
Beth and Ben, You aren't alone. My oldest DD's last full B&M school day is today. She is going on a beach field trip Mon-Wed and Thur is 1/2 day - field day. I got an email asking where to send their records... and it hit me. All the positive things of the last few years + Am I really ready to h/s again w/ kids 24/7?

The good news is that I've done this before - So, take heart fellow h/sers you will do better than "fine". That little bit of fear is what will get you up in the a.m. Hopefully, this time next year you will either hold a deep personal knowledge that h/s was great for your kid(s), or you will have the copy of some test to prove it. In my case I always had both! This is your turn to do it your way and enjoy!

Yes, I am scared. But 95% of that is financial. You know, you can never have too much money... H/Sing is like an full time educational vacation!

Thanks, firefly! I hope these last few days go well for your daughter and that your predictions about success a year from now all come true!!

BPier12
06-04-2010, 11:44 AM

So, is there an official handshake or something that I need to learn now? ;)

BTW, it feels great! After our celebratory dinner last night, I turned to my husband and said, "I feel FREE, and I'm so excited!". I did not anticipate how unfettered I would feel knowing that it was the last day that we would be beholden to the school system. Remind me that I said this come November when I come here whining about some problem or another....:p

Wilma
06-04-2010, 11:49 AM
So, is there an official handshake or something that I need to learn now? ;)

That comes after the initiation ceremony that is after Hell Week. Did no one tell you about that?

Snoopy
06-04-2010, 04:02 PM
Remind me that I said this come November when I come here whining about some problem or another....:p Oh, you'll be whining long before November, I'll promise you that, lol :)

That comes after the initiation ceremony that is after Hell Week. Did no one tell you about that? ROFLMAO :) But it's more like Heck Week since we're secular here.

BPier12
06-04-2010, 04:40 PM
That comes after the initiation ceremony that is after Hell Week. Did no one tell you about that?

LMAO!!! Hmmm, I'm strictly a no sorority/fraternity kind of girl so I'm not sure this is going to work out after all........;)

BPier12
06-04-2010, 04:41 PM
Oh, you'll be whining long before November, I'll promise you that, lol :)

I was afraid somebody was going to say that!

camaro
06-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah, Mitchell and I had our meltdown long before November, didn't we? :D

And I think I mentioned a while back how we needed a Secret Decoder ring along with an ID card, free in every box of <cereal of choice>. I'm still waiting to find mine. I miss the days when Shreddies used to have cool toys in the box...like those baking soda submarines.

Anyway, we're nearing the end of our first year of homeschooling and wouldn't change a thing. Yes, we had our problems and back last fall Mitchell and I would have gladly beat each other to death with our lap desks over problems with math, but that time I heard him say math was fun...that's what we do it for, isn't it? The battles were all worth it then. To tell you the truth, I think Carla and I have learned as much as the boys have, both about ourselves and our children, that we couldn't have learned with them away all day at PS.

Yes, you'll struggle, Beth, but you're going to have plenty of those magical moments when you wouldn't miss homeschooling for the world. :)

reversemigration
06-05-2010, 10:18 AM
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Ben. It means a lot to know that I've not been the only one reworking the decision over and over this week! In addition to homeschooling, this week we were 1) Contemplating skipping 8th grade all together and enrolling him in the local charter high school that has a performing arts emphasis (DS LOVES theatre -- acting, tech, all of it) and 2) Keeping him at the private school where he has been going because they offered us a last minute financial aid boost that was almost too good to be true. Everyone wanted an answer by the end of this week. My DH and I talked about all the options last night, DS joined us and when I asked him what his choice would be of all three options, he replied without hesitating, "Homeschool". That clinched it for me. It is what he wants, it offers him the best education (I hope!!) and gives us so many more options for what we can do together as a family.

Boy, having choices like that thrown at me this week would have made it even harder for me. It was nice of them to wait until the LAST MINUTE to offer you that much aid! One of those, "if you act now, we'll also throw in...!" moments.

Given that you had some attractive alternatives, it speaks well of your son's interest in homeschooling that he chose it without hesitating. It's nice not to have to worry about waffling! I think it's also clear that it will offer him the best education - who could be more invested in it than you?

The last day went well, particularly since it was only a half-day (whoever made up half-days ought to be strung up by their toes....) Honestly, the day was a bit anticlimactic. I only wish that this weekend were less busy so that the family could appreciate being out of school a bit more!

reversemigration
06-05-2010, 10:21 AM
I love summer. I have always lightened the load in the summer, I still keep going with math, reading and a daily journal ( an art journal for my little ones, or a photo journal of things we did ) because I feel they can lose the most ground on over a summer in these. Other than that we do tons of experiments and fun stuff. Swim lessons, all the museums and science centers we can find, the aquarium, etc.

That's a pretty good sum up of summer around here, although writing goes by the wayside a bit more. We're hoping to do more camping this summer as well. I want to keep the kids outside as much as possible as a rule. "Go outside and play," is to be the general refrain. :)

reversemigration
06-05-2010, 10:27 AM

I agree, fear can be a productive thing when it's not overwhelming...it certainly helps to overcome my natural tendency to procrastinate. I understand the financial fear, too. If Max had gone back to school next year, it would have been the first time in many years that I would have had mornings free in which to work. I'm considering carving out a little extra time in the day to generate income - and I'm still so impressed by the people here who work and homeschool at the same time.

Thanks for the encouragement, it's truly appreciated.

BPier12
06-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Yes, you'll struggle, Beth, but you're going to have plenty of those magical moments when you wouldn't miss homeschooling for the world. :)

Thanks, David. That's what I'm hoping for!