PDA

View Full Version : Sensational Kids - SID SPD

Numericmama
03-09-2012, 11:47 PM
I am starting this post as a support or idea generating place for people working with kids with Sensory Integration Disorder or show signs of it.

Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder is a book that identifies some types of Sensory Integration Disorders.

While my son does not have SID (SPD) he does have reflexes that have not integrated that are effecting his learning and I am working with a PT to integrate the reflexes. My son's best friend has diagnosed SPD and I know at least 3 other kids who are disintegrated although they have not been diagnosed in any way.

We are using movement therapy daily to integrate the remaining reflexes.

Everyone is welcome!

raesrose
03-10-2012, 10:45 AM
My dd6 has sensory processing disorder. He was in occupational therapy while we had insurance for it and it helped tons! He's still a bit clumsy and his handwriting is terrible (fine motor control). I'm taking my time and not worrying as much about the handwriting as I would if he were not SPD. I'm interested in seeing if anyone posts some good ideas, since we are fresh out of insurance! ;)

dbmamaz
03-10-2012, 12:02 PM
My son wasnt dx'd until age 9, in the midst of all sorts of other stuff. Compared to the final pdd-nos, bipolar, tourettes and processing disorder, the sensory thing was so minor. Really he didnt have it that bad anyways. He was always very noise sensitive and will still occasionally need to leave places that are too noisy, esp if he's having a bad day. He has gotten much less picky about clothing and food. And he rarely sits upside down any more. He's 15 . . .

ginnyjf
03-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Zack's SPD played a huge role in our decision to homeschool. He is a sensory avoider and the school environment was completely overwhelming for him. He has made huge strides but still has trouble descending stairs, riding a bike, and as Rachel mentioned, his handwriting is abysmal, although his cursive is much better than his manuscript, go figure. He visits a pediatric OT once a month for reassessment and to learn new home exercises.

Jeninok
03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
Ds sensory issues aren't too bad, and really if I stop and admit it I have a lot of the same things going on. His biggest issues are needing soft clothes without scratchy tags, not dealing well with really loud movies, or the TV being up too loud.

He also tends to sit upside down, or is never quite to calm as when the cat is on his lap and he is rubbing him. I think it's the combination of warmth, weight and the softness of the cat.

He also can't ride a bike, we have totally given up on it!

Right now we are working on concepts like deep breathing, self calming and using martial arts to hopefully improve his muscle tone, balance, and coordination.

BeckyG
03-11-2012, 11:30 PM
Ethan's sensory issues are the reason that he did not do well in school, although he wasn't diagnosed until after we pulled him out. He is mostly a sensory seeker, and it was such a relief to finally figure out the reasons that he was always in people's faces/space, and crashing into walls, etc. He gets overwhelmed with too much noise, though, and can't figure out how to focus. This made the school classroom very difficult for him to focus. Between that and the seeking, school is not a good place for him. It's been so helpful to get him in therapy and learn ways to help him cope with his sensory issues. Learning about them has made me see some of the same issues in his father and myself, although not to the same degree. I'm grateful to have a way to help him cope, now.

Blue Ipsy
03-12-2012, 02:42 AM
My oldest DD [10] is a sensory avoider, clothes are a HUGE issue as well as food. She will literally run from the room if she is overwhelmed. She also has Auditory processing and EF issues as well..... She will not be going to middle school and will be HS her for 6th grade and reevaluating yearly. Are focus this year will be EF/APD but I dont even know where to begin. It's frustrating.

My youngest DD [6] is my sensory seeker and is a mild aspergers..... as long as she is kept moving she generally is ok..she hangs upside down alot and jumps up and down and flaps....but it works for her.

laundrycrisis
03-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Our 6 yo has an evaluation set up and will be starting OT soon. Some of it is for sensory issues - sounds and clothing mostly - and some of it is for self regulation and fine motor issues.

raesrose
03-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Wow. So glad to know I'm not alone.

Numericmama
03-12-2012, 04:48 PM
I think difficulty with integration is becoming more common. I am going to start reading the Brain Gym teacher's manual today. I was able to check it out at the library. I just hope I don't get too much resistance. My son started resisting our movement activities when he was 4. If I had known then what I knew now, I would have started working with him earlier.

On a positive note - my son is 8.5 and we have been struggling with "swinging on a swing" for years. This weekend he finally started to get the hang of it. He can move his lower body at least. Now I just need to get us working on the upper body.

*** laundrycrisis

I am very interested in the self-regulation aspects. The little girl I babysit hurts people with her body and words when she is frustrated - which happens really quickly. I've mentioned sensory integration and OT to her mom a couple times - but she isn't going to get that kind of help. I want to give her some tools to help her calm herself down. I know that am not a dr, etc. But I figure a little help is better than the none she is getting now and can expect to get in the future.

laundrycrisis
03-12-2012, 09:28 PM
I will share more as I learn more. I have been told by his speech-language therapist, ped and psych that OT can help them become more aware of their internal tension and the tension in their body, and to learn techniques to calm down. In the meantime I have been advised to create a scale of red, yellow and green, and assemble a bag of sensory toys that can be squeezed or pulled or other calming actions. When he is at red, he needs to be alone until he gets to yellow. When he gets to yellow, he gets to use the toys until he reaches green. When he feels himself go back to yellow, he can ask for the toys to help himself back to green. Right now he goes from zero to blowup in about a half second and has almost no inhibitions. I have been told the OT can also teach him about personal space, boundaries, and appropriate use of voice, facial expressions, actions etc.

Staysee34
03-12-2012, 09:49 PM
DD10 has huge sensory issues. She is both a seeker and avoider depending on the situation. She completed 6 months (2 hours a week) of OT. Although she did improve with the OT, I wish it would have gone longer. We really only broke the surface with her and then it was over. I am currently seeking a full evaluation in the hopes of getting a more cohesive diagnosis. It seems my biggest problem is getting everyone on the same page. OT treats the sensory stuff, BSC and behavior therapy for the emotional/mental stuff, school district for the academic stuff( a complete joke around here). I wish we could just treat the whole child and not just the individual parts. Seems to me that all of her issues are intertwined and the answer lies in treating the whole child.

And now, to top it all off, Julia's current BSC is encouraging me to have Sarah evaluated. She's worked with us in our home for almost the last year and knows the girls pretty well. All this time, I'd thought Sarah's issues were learned behaviors from being so close to her big sister (monkey see, monkey do). But then, the BSC pulled me onto the porch and said that Sarah needs to have services. At her age, she should be realizing that these behaviors are inappropriate and she's not realizing it. She's basically a ticking time bomb and the older she gets the bigger her problems will become. Laura, our BSC, said that she suspects Sarah is moderately ADHD. Thankfully, I do not see any sensory issues with her. Then again, I didn't see very many with Julia either until the OT showed me....Holy Cow! Hard to believe I never saw them. Talk about a guilt trip!

BeckyG
03-14-2012, 11:24 PM
Ethan's therapist has taught him a self-regulation program, How Does Your Engine Run? or Where Is Your Engine?, something like that. It's working really well, and I know there is a book about it. I haven't read it because his therapist has done such a good job teaching it to him. Basically he learns to tell if his engine is high, low, or just right. And then she has also gone through a lot of his sensory tools to have him determine what he might need to get to "just right."

raesrose
03-16-2012, 12:52 AM
This is a good site. I found a lot of good information there when my son was first diagnosed. http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/
I know I had this as a child, though completely opposite issues than my son. I was a tag-hater, panty-hose hater, loud noise, people hater. My son is a sensation seeking type and other integration issues. I think it is all a spectrum, everyone is on it somewhere. ;)

Numericmama
03-16-2012, 01:25 AM
lakshmi

I'm sorry the thread is causing you distress. That was not my intention. I understand where you are coming from though. My son had a severe vision disfunction that was causing him to be unable to focus his eyes together correctly that would end up with him being unable to read (most likely). We're getting help, so it will be fixed - phew!

But it turns out that my husband has the same problem as well as his cousin. It has effected their lives, but they are both "successful" in life and career. BUT, they did have to develop coping mechanisms to deal with the weakness. So that is the view I am using. (Although Roland's eye condition was most likely worse than his family members.) Do I want him to have to develop coping mechanisms and waste his energy on using them - or do I want him to be able to use more of his energy on learning? Also, if a child isn't feeling integrated, a certain amount of energy is being used simply to function.

For example, if a kid has an undercurrent of discomfort due to a food allergy they are dealing with all day - a bit of their energy is going to maintaining themselves despite their discomfort which is energy removed from learning or playing or being flexible. So maybe this kid gets frustrated easier with a project or is really rude after holding it together all day. You see this a lot with kids who are disintegrated, they are working so hard to hold it together, that they can only do it for so long and then they blow.

So, the energy can continue to be expended towards coping - or I can help to integrate them, or reduce their disintegration freeing up that energy for other things. Or as I said to my cousin when her kid couldn't cross his eyes either - "if some visual therapy makes learning to read and reading when he is older easier for him - why not! You've got nothing to lose." It takes her 3 times through whatever she is reading to comprehend it. I assume she is reading all at once. That is a lot of work!

FWIW - I have also noticed that I have some behaviors that pull me out of my head and back into my body - or the present. I wonder if I had some things that I could have worked through as well!

Numericmama
03-16-2012, 01:28 AM
Ethan's therapist has taught him a self-regulation program, How Does Your Engine Run? or Where Is Your Engine?, something like that. It's working really well, and I know there is a book about it. I haven't read it because his therapist has done such a good job teaching it to him. Basically he learns to tell if his engine is high, low, or just right. And then she has also gone through a lot of his sensory tools to have him determine what he might need to get to "just right."

I heard a little one learning this at PT this week! We were in another room, but we could hear the song they were using for his session. I'm glad to hear it works. He sounded like he was having a lot of fun!

Jess Fitzgibbon
04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I'm new here and I'm glad I came across this thread. I have a 4 yr old daughter (only child) who has been dx'ed with Classic Autism and ADHD. Of course SPD goes hand in hand with my daughter's Autism. Makes life so challenging for her, she's affected in all sensory areas. Nice to know I'm not alone, homeschooling a child with SPD or any special needs!

Jess

theWeedyRoad
04-15-2012, 01:14 PM
This is an interesting thread.

Although my kids seemed to have escaped, I'm convinced my father, my sister, and I all have sensory issues related to sound. My father's is so bad he used to refuse to go into stores. Mine is ok, until I hit some sort of tolerance level, then I feel like my head is wrapped in cotton, I can't think, and I start to feel panicky. It is completely different from my social anxiety- the social anxiety hits as soon as I'm in a group and expected to speak, the sound sensitivity takes time to build up, and happens without me even being aware that I'm about to pass the threshhold (shopping sucks).

Anyway.. none of us are dx'd, so I hope you don't mind me following along :). We've all managed ok, but neither my sis nor I are typical 'women' LOL (no mani/pedis, no trips to the mall)