PDA

View Full Version : Woogie (right brain link)

MichelleC
03-08-2012, 09:06 PM
Thank you so much for the link to right brain / visual spacial learners in the Finding Interests thread. I'm sitting here crying having realized that most of what my daughter was taught in school (we've only been homeschooling for a month) was taught the exact opposite of how she learns.

I had a vague understanding of this, but it's all so much clearer now. For example, she won't sound out words, but is constantly asking us to spell out words -- now I know that it's because she's picturing the whole word in her mind when she spells. Also, yesterday she was having a horrible time with her math -- today I gave her the same topic, but crossed out all the steps and told her to just figure out the final answers. She zoomed through it smiling.

So, thank you!

Jeninok
03-08-2012, 09:19 PM
I too have a right brain, whole to part learner. I think that in the long run it is great, but trying to teach him basic math, or things with lots of steps, or really anything that requires actually following directions is really tough.

he can not remember the math facts to save his life, but if I give him a number he can tell me all the combinations to get there. I am doing this daily and I hope that just doing lots of math will improve his ability to recall them.

I have also started giving him the questions I want him to be able to answer before the assignment, sometimes even twice. This has made a huge difference in his ability to recall the important information.

hockeymom
03-09-2012, 08:31 AM
This may be part of what we struggle with also. DS is definitely a whole word reader and speller, and the math steps issue--oh my. He understands big concepts really easily, but this year (gr. 4 math) being able to break down the STEPS have become increasingly important. It's a huge struggle right now, as I'm insisting that he explain the steps he mentally took to get an answer. Without that ability, higher level math will be out of reach. I'd love some input on how to make this a less painful process!