PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else not know any other HS familys IRL?

Sarbare0704
06-02-2010, 02:57 PM
I know there are tons of groups for people to find other homeschoolers but at this point we know no others. There is one group in our town but to join it is like 50$ a year and you dont have access to see the group until you pay. I worry about doing that and then the group will all be highly religious and we wouldn't fit in. anyone else have this kind of situation? My daughter has expressed several times she wishes she "knew other people that home school then just 19 kids and counting" LOL

Melyssa
06-02-2010, 03:17 PM
I'd ask if you could try the group out before paying. The groups here are pay to join also but they offer up a park day or something first if you want. We just moved to a new state and didn't know any other homeschoolers so I decided to go ahead and pay for the groups. One was $25/year and the other $30/year. It's been worth it so far even just to find out all the neat local activities to do whether we do them with a group or on our own.

hockeymom
06-02-2010, 03:20 PM
I so feel your pain! We currently live in a tiny, isolated community where it is definitely not socially acceptable to step outside of the "norm". IF there are other homeschoolers in the area, I haven't met them and can't figure out how to. I suspect they'd all have motivations to homeschooling that don't mesh with ours anyway, but still it would be nice to know we aren't totally alone. We used to live in an area that had tons of resources for homeschoolers and there were lots of people "like us" (ie: not Christian) who homeschooled, but we don't have that available to us right now. I think in general that homeschooling isn't as popular in Canada as it is in the US, plus there's the issue of living in a rural area. My son has adjusted to homeschooling really well, but I know it's hard for him to not see his buddies as much as he did when he was in ps.

StartingOver
06-02-2010, 03:54 PM
Believe it or not I have 3 homeschoolers on my tiny street, in my tiny town. But I don't know them, they aren't like me. LOL ( My husband has lived here all his life, and knows that they are very religious, very, very, religious. One of them did come knock on my door to invite me to church and to "question" me. It didn't end well. LOL )

ginnyjf
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm on the fringes of a Catholic homeschooling group. I haven't jumped in with both feet yet because I'm cautious by nature. The women and kids I've met were all very nice and not overtly religious. They have three or four meetups a month, but no organized activities like field trips or group classes. You may want to try the Meetup website. There is a secular homeschooling group that meets about 45 minutes from our house and they do super-cool field trips (like Veesak Day at a Buddhist monastery) and have a cultural potluck once a month. If there's no group in your area, you can start one through this website. Good luck!

Sarbare0704
06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
I am going to have to check out meetup! Its good to hear I am not alone with being alone LOL!

dottieanna29
06-02-2010, 09:01 PM
I've been lucky (probably because I don't live in an overly religious part of the country to begin with). We have a lot of inclusive groups where religion never even seems to come up. We have a bunch of yahoo groups (something else to check out for your area), one that runs frequent field trips. Our park meet-up group is a pay-to-join but I was able to find out from someone in one of my yahoo groups that they usually meet at a park that is impossible to do with two young children, so I haven't bothered.

The first homeschooler I ever met IRL I met about 5 years ago through my oldest daughters dance studio. She has two daughters and the oldest dances with my daughter. She is a religious homeschooler and very open about it but not at all preachy - if that makes sense. She makes it clear she is teaching for religious reasons (although I don't know if she's creationist or not since around here they are not necessarily the same thing) but has been a good source for general advice.

allison
06-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I live in a small rural communtiy...VERY religious. I am also very new to Homeschooling. There is only one other non-religious family I have met and they keep me sane and my children entertained. I found them on the web because after she had to move away from an active, diversified HS group in a big city to my town for her husband's work she went NUTS. Searching for something positive to do, she started a home schooling web group focused around our geographical area. Google searches = we pop right up.

Well, for a long time she was IT...and then through many random web searches, other HS families found her. Unfortunately, they were all quite religious and have now sort of taken over the 'inclusive' group ~ BUT!! We found eachother and I am sure other families will continue to find us. You have to make a spot to be found...like when you are lost in the woods...stop moving and let the searchers find you.

Make a web prescence.

camaro
06-02-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm in a similar situation to hockeymom, homeschooling in a rural area in Canada, though I've been fortunate to be able to meet a couple of other families that while not 'local', we do meet occasionally. For the most part homeschooling isn't on the radar here so it's really been by coincidence that we meet anyone that homeschools, too. I've wondered why it's not as popular in Canada and thought it might be because there doesn't appear to be a strong Christian population as there is in the US to kickstart it.