PDA

View Full Version : Reading Guide

Numericmama
03-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Hello,

My 8.5 year old has had some vision problems that we are getting help for. They are finally pretty cleared up. He can read the youngest readers, like Frog and Toad we can read picture books.

My question is - what should my time goal be for how long he can read out loud? He read 12 minutes tonight without tiring. What is normal or average for this age?

TIA,

hockeymom
03-06-2012, 08:19 AM
It sounds like given your son's vision problems, what might be "average" for his age doesn't necessarily apply. I'd suggest focusing on what he CAN do and the progress that he's making, and celebrate those steps! :)

mratts
03-06-2012, 08:31 AM
I don't particularly believe in "average", so I can't answer your question directly. I don't know if this will help, but when reading aloud things that are not SUPER exciting for my son, I trade with him. I read a page, he reads a page, or I'll pick up reading if I can hear that "I'm tired of this" in his voice, and let him take a break for a page or two. If it's unfamiliar text, I stumble over the big words and have him help me sound them out. He's a great reader, but also a perfectionist and tends to get upset when he doesn't know a word, so I do this so that he'll know it's ok if he has to stop and sound something out. We also stop for discussion during most books, to reinforce the topics we're reading about, make sure he knows the vocab, and to make sure that he's reading mindfully. This helps him read for longer because it keeps him interested.

Glad you've gotten the vision problems under control - what a difference that will make in his life!

baker
03-06-2012, 08:57 AM
I would work real hard on getting books your son enjoys. I find with my son that he does much better with books without pictures (too distracting) and books that have a more developed plot (unlike age-appropriate readers). I also trade off reading pages with him when he gets tired. He really likes Boxcar Children and Magic Tree House.

Numericmama
03-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Well, for our reading level - abilities, we are in the picture books, or maybe level one. He is loving Frog and Toad.

I am mainly looking for a guideline. Like, he read for 12 minutes last night, and the chapter was done and I stopped us because it was natural. He hadn't started to tire yet. You can tell when he starts tiring because he can't read words that he was able to read a page ago. Or even further up on the same page. This used to happen around 10 minutes.

I just don't want to have unrealistic expectations, but I would like a goal or and idea of a goal to have my eyes on. For some reason this is parent led with the VT office. I think it is because they are not used to parents who work with the kids at home like they are supposed to. I time up, not down. If he shows signs of tiring - we would stop early. Having him keep reading when he is too tired and having to struggle a lot isn't going to help him out. It would just make him feel frustrated.

dbmamaz
03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Most of us have the primary goal of having our children love reading and be able to read for content. how long they can read out loud for isnt really a step towards those goals, so i dont think its something most of us think about. If this is part of the recovery measurement of the vision problems, you probably want to ask the professionals what they expect.

in fact, another mother posted not that long ago - how can we get them to READ SILENTLY! Her daughter always wanted her to listen and she wanted her daughter to read quietly to herself - independently.

Numericmama
03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I called my CVA teacher who said 15 minutes was plenty. I need to be able to see that his eyes are reading correctly and gauge how long before he tires. Otherwise I probably wouldn't worry about it either. I think we are already at the goal because he could have kept going last night.

Thank you,

theWeedyRoad
03-06-2012, 06:22 PM
in fact, another mother posted not that long ago - how can we get them to READ SILENTLY! Her daughter always wanted her to listen and she wanted her daughter to read quietly to herself - independently.

LOL- that was me. dd still reads aloud :P. I'm letting it go for now, just focusing on letting her feel more comfortable. When she's ready, I think she'll do it.

I know when I am reading aloud to my dd, I'm good for a chapter (10-ish pages). I will struggle through a second if she asks me, but then my throat starts to hurt and my voice gets hoarse.

The only purpose I can see for having a child read aloud is so we can make sure they are reading correctly- that they know how to sound out the words (or recognize them.. or figure them out in our chosen way) and to make sure they are comprehending what they are reading, that they read with some sort of expression. Time isn't the issue, imvho, it's about the other stuff. If your child can only read aloud for 10mins and then gets tired, but did an A+ job, then I'd consider that good.

I'm no vision therapist though, and this is all just from my perspective with my kids- my ds HATES to read aloud, will swap paragraphs with me if we are doing something but complains. Yet he will read silently for the length I ask with no complaints and perfect comprehension. That works for me.

Numericmama
03-06-2012, 08:58 PM
It's how I can monitor how his eyes are functioning and for how long. When he has to start sounding out the word "the" he really should stop reading! I'm pretty lucky because it is also a sharing time for us. He enjoys it. He makes predictions about what he thinks is going on in the picture and then reads it to find out what really happened. The one thing he tested poorly on last year was comprehension. So I am just keeping an eye on that as well. He has to take the test per the state. Then I can just pay attention to what they find out. Of course, how could he do a good job of comprehending stuff if he had to expend a lot of energy on just "seeing" it? I'll bet that this year he won't have that problem as much.

So reading with me, out loud allows me to see inside his world. If he were always alone or silent reading, then I wouldn't know how to help him. Or even if he needed help.

At least Oscar doesn't seem to have the eye issues. So life will be a little easier.

Also, reading out loud is a family thing. I remember my mom teaching me to read and reading out loud to her - fondly. So I have the same books for him that my mom used for me. And he really likes that. Plus we read ones that he wants to read.

With dd only being 7 - she's still pretty young. I'll bet she will grow into reading silently with time, on her own. I think that near 7, my son was still TALKING out loud to himself. It took a while for his thinking to internalize. ;)