PDA

View Full Version : Panic

SJayneI
03-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Every once in a while, for no apparent reason, I feel utter panic about homeschooling my daughter.

outskirtsofbs
03-04-2012, 10:26 AM
Sorry your feeling this way. The only worries I have (really) is the lack of activities and non-existent friends for DD. Where do you think your "panic" is coming from?

raesrose
03-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I panic too, but then I have a panic disorder. lol Any excuse to panic! I always worry I'm not doing enough, he's not learning enough (he is), some big life change will happen and he'll have to go back to school where he would NOT thrive, etc. Lots of worry. My sympathies and understanding!

ginnyjf
03-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Huge hugs! I know I've been there many times. She's 4, right? What are you panicking about? Maybe we can help?

SJayneI
03-04-2012, 07:02 PM
I can't really pinpoint it.............I'm an introvert and she's very much an extrovert. I do not want her in public school where she becomes simply 'part of a whole'. I am not wavering at all on homeschooling. I just worry than I'll miss something and I feel a bit overwhelmed. There are so many different ways of doing it and I'm not sure what fits or will fit for us.

Now, I'm rambling............

Accidental Homeschooler
03-04-2012, 07:09 PM
I remember that feeling of panic when we were deciding about hsing our dd who was in kindergarten. I would be convinced and then panic and read more and be convinced again and more panic.... I think for me it was the idea of swimming against the current. Everyone else (I knew) sent their kids to ps and I was thinking about doing this thing nobody else I knew was doing, taking this very unconventional path. Now I have been in a panic about hsing high school for my older dd, again I think it is the basically the same issue for me. Hsing is scary for a lot of us I think.

Alaskamom
03-05-2012, 01:39 AM
I totally understand. I could stay in the house without leaving for weeks and be perfectly okay with that. My two oldest NEED to get out. I've found that a local gym that offers homeschool P.E. and a local art studio that does Art classes help. Three years later I question my ability still. It's a good thing. It's a good thing that you care enough to NOT screw this up. And because of that fear you'll do everything in your power to NOT screw it up. And b/c of that, you're giving you child more than any p.s. teacher ever would. I'm not saying all public/private school teachers are worthless or don't care. I have friends that are teachers that care so much about their students they spend 13 hours a day working. But having that one on one interaction and KNOWING your child the way you do helps so much. There are so many "different" ways to teach a subject....this way you can find 'HER" way and run with it. You'll be fine.

theWeedyRoad
03-05-2012, 01:36 PM
I remember that feeling of panic when we were deciding about hsing our dd who was in kindergarten. I would be convinced and then panic and read more and be convinced again and more panic.... I think for me it was the idea of swimming against the current. Everyone else (I knew) sent their kids to ps and I was thinking about doing this thing nobody else I knew was doing, taking this very unconventional path. Now I have been in a panic about hsing high school for my older dd, again I think it is the basically the same issue for me. Hsing is scary for a lot of us I think.

This was me, too. I had this idea that ps has some sort of.. magical formula that I don't have, and that they were teaching things in some sort of latent way (i.e. they were somehow teaching social skills without ever actually teaching social skills). It wasn't until I was teaching my dd that I realized HEY! I CAN do this!

Homeschooling is a huge responsibility. I think it's only natural that we suffer from pangs of worry from time to time :)

christineoc
03-05-2012, 03:37 PM
I agree with Alaskamom. It'd be more worrisome if you didn't panic occasionally. After a year, I'm finally starting to accept the occasional (homeschool-related) panic attacks as an occupational hazard. And a plus--that perfect amount of stress that makes you perform your best. And if/when the panic gets out of control, I take a look at my daughter's portfolio, or remember how amazed her portfolio reviewers have been. Or just look at how much happier we all are.