PDA

View Full Version : One down, one to go *sigh*

theWeedyRoad
02-29-2012, 01:49 AM
So I really stepped out of my hermit-ey, introverted box and sent off e-mails to two local homeschooling groups.

I got one response back. Sounded lovely, but the very first sentences went something like, "Thank you for your interest, and yes we have a very active group. We are born-again Christians, and require a statement of faith..." and then some comment about how I could not bother to read the rest of the e-mail if I found it objectionable.

*sigh*

I know, I know. But I thought no way in Maine. We are too liberal. I don't know anyone who even admits to going to church (there are people who do, they just never mention it). I don't know anyone who listens to Christian Rock, or who claims they've been 'saved'.

Hopefully we have better luck with the other one.

findemerson
02-29-2012, 02:27 AM
I live in the bible belt down South....and am the only non-believer of all of my friends and family. So, you are not alone. not alone..I'd just love to join a co-op...get out of the house more. I am in one group--they don't mention it (GOD) at any of the functions (that I've been to) and some of them are very snooty (like if a show/event is mentioned they stare in disbelief that you would participate)..and some of the emails are religious based...but they aren't so bad. I am starting to arrange some of the activities myself this year. I'm hoping that they will like us enough to "forgive my sins" when one of my kids blurts out that we don't believe. My radar is saying a handful of them won't care...but the rest of them will certainly guard their kids against mine, if (when) this happens. :(

JinxieFox
02-29-2012, 05:40 AM
Aw, man. :/

Yeah, I am from Massachusetts and had never met anybody very religious, until I met my ex-husband's parents. *shudders* They are definitely an anomaly. Just persevere! When I got to England and found that the homeschooling group on base was Christian, and the local home-ed group's events were just too far for me to attend, I started a secular/inclusive group for the local military families.

I'm not saying "Start a group!" LOL First of all, the fact that you (an admitted introvert) reached out is wonderful. You will find secular homeschoolers there. You will!

hockeymom
02-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Sending you a PM! :)

dottieanna29
02-29-2012, 09:15 AM
I know exactly what you mean. I'm in New Jersey and never ran into the uber-religious fundamentalists before. The number 1 religion around here is Catholic and most of them are cultural Catholics. Number 2 religion reported is none and number 3 is Jewish. This is especially true up in North Jersey where I am. Then, the other day one of my local yahoo groups had a post about a new co-op starting. It seemed perfect - only once a week, not too far away, not too expensive. It wasn't until I went to their website to check out more that I saw the statement of faith - that would eliminate Catholics, United Methodists (what I grew up) and pretty much any of the more liberal denominations plus any non-Christians. Now, they've posted the minutes from their introductory meeting and it says all teachers must be "a member and in good standing at a Bible believing and teaching church" and submit a letter from the pastor or elder of their church. Given our location they sure are limiting themselves. Why advertise a co-op if you only want to include your friends?

pnctink
02-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Great job sending off the emails in the first place! Hopefully the other will come back with something more favorable. :)

Pilgrim
03-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Good for you for getting out there. Hopefully the second group will work out well. It took us a few tries as well.