PDA

View Full Version : "Little House on the Prairie" type book for boys?

Shoe
06-01-2010, 01:15 PM
I remember back in the mid to late '70's, my sisters were reading the Little House books, and my brother and I were reading a different series that was more for boys. It was still set in a frontier town, but was slightly more humorous than the Little House series. I'd like to find it again, but can't remember the title or author. I remember in one of the books, the two brothers started a newspaper, but can't seem to recall any other details of the series.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

pandahoneybee
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
Cabin on Trouble Creek—Jean Van Leeuwen, a frontier survival tale of two brothers.
Children of the Covered Wagon—Mary Jane Carr, a 1934 tale about the old Oregon Trail.

Not having been a boy but having two these are two that I have bookmarked for cowboys (which youngest is into right now). Do they look familiar?

pandahoneybee
06-01-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.frankserafini.com/BooklistsPDF/BoysBooks.pdf this is another site that I have bookmarked to go thru;) no descriptions of books on these;(

Snoopy
06-02-2010, 12:39 AM
I remember back in the mid to late '70's, my sisters were reading the Little House books, and my brother and I were reading a different series that was more for boys. It was still set in a frontier town, but was slightly more humorous than the Little House series. I'd like to find it again, but can't remember the title or author. I remember in one of the books, the two brothers started a newspaper, but can't seem to recall any other details of the series.

Does anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

Shoe, could it have been the Young Trailers series by Joseph A. Altsheler (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-American-Fiction-Altshelers-ebook/dp/B001EJMS5Q/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=books&qid=1275453420&sr=1-16)? "Two boys, Henry Ware and Paul Cotter, and three scouts are the chief characters in these books dealing with frontier life and adventures with the Indians about the time of the Revolutionary War. Each story is complete in itself, full of excitement, and historically accurate."

Shoe
06-02-2010, 03:14 AM
Thank you Michelle and Nathalie, those all look like some great choices that I might pick and choose from, but sadly none of them seem to be the specific series I'm looking for. I wish I could remember more about it...even a character name, but it's been at least 30 years since I read it and my aging memory isn't as good as it used to be...

I know it was about a couple of brothers, set in a western frontier type of town, and was all about growing up and coming of age and the hijinx (?sp) that kids get up to. It was quite funny. Maybe my brother remembers...

BPier12
06-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Shoe, was it the 'Great Brain' series? I loved these books when I was a kid. The series is about a family that lives in Utah and there are three brothers. The middle one, Tom, is the Great Brain, and he is always trying to swindle the other kids in the neighborhood to do things for him. He often gets in trouble for it. The books are narrated by J.D., the youngest brother in the family. They are hilarious stories, and very well-written. My son loved them all too. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Brain-John-D-Fitzgerald/dp/0142400580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275482340&sr=8-1 The author is John D. Fitzgerald and the wonderful illustrations are by Mercer Meyer.

reversemigration
06-02-2010, 09:33 AM
I loved the Great Brain! I hadn't thought about the frontier connection, but they were set in Utah at the end of the 19th century, I think? One more book to add to summer reading....

Wilma
06-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Little Britches?

BPier12
06-02-2010, 10:45 AM
I loved the Great Brain! I hadn't thought about the frontier connection, but they were set in Utah at the end of the 19th century, I think? One more book to add to summer reading....

Ben, I think the first book starts in 1896.

crazymama
06-02-2010, 12:57 PM
I have never heard of the Great Brain books.. they look awesome!!!!

mamareeb
06-02-2010, 02:40 PM
We just started the series last night - what a coincidence :) They were a favorite of mine too. I'm reading them out loud to my boys (8 & 9.5) Older son loves it after just one chapter, 8yo isn't there yet (although I think he bears a close resemblance to the Brain LOL)

Shoe
06-06-2010, 05:07 PM
Shoe, was it the 'Great Brain' series? I loved these books when I was a kid. The series is about a family that lives in Utah and there are three brothers. The middle one, Tom, is the Great Brain, and he is always trying to swindle the other kids in the neighborhood to do things for him. He often gets in trouble for it. The books are narrated by J.D., the youngest brother in the family. They are hilarious stories, and very well-written. My son loved them all too. Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Brain-John-D-Fitzgerald/dp/0142400580/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1275482340&sr=8-1 The author is John D. Fitzgerald and the wonderful illustrations are by Mercer Meyer.
Yes, yes, yes!!!! That's it! Thank you so very much! I'm so excited now! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was off visiting my in-laws and had no internet access for the last 5 days. I've got to get these again!. Thank you, thank you thank you!

BPier12
06-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Yes, yes, yes!!!! That's it! Thank you so very much! I'm so excited now! Sorry it took me so long to reply. I was off visiting my in-laws and had no internet access for the last 5 days. I've got to get these again!. Thank you, thank you thank you!

Oh, hooray!! I'm so glad I could help and I hope Matt and Carol really enjoy them.

And welcome back! We missed you!

Topsy
06-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Oh, now I'M wanting to find the Great Brain books. Would they be too "young" for a 14-year-old, do you think??

Shoe
06-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Oh, now I'M wanting to find the Great Brain books. Would they be too "young" for a 14-year-old, do you think??

I don't think they're too "young" for a 42 year old ;) ... but I am wondering if my 13 year old will find them too juvenile and too easy a read. Their recommended ages are 8-12, but both my kids read very well. Still, they are enjoyable enough that I might have them read them anyway-even if we don't "study" them that much.

BPier12
06-07-2010, 03:14 PM
I don't think they're too "young" for a 42 year old ;) ... but I am wondering if my 13 year old will find them too juvenile and too easy a read. Their recommended ages are 8-12, but both my kids read very well. Still, they are enjoyable enough that I might have them read them anyway-even if we don't "study" them that much.

I would agree. Even if you don't use them as part of your curriculum, they would still be great summer reads and they will learn something about that period of history in the West.

Snoopy
06-07-2010, 10:08 PM
My library has "The Great Brain" so maybe I'll have Noah read this next. He's reading "Nick of Time (http://www.amazon.com/Nick-Time-Ted-Bell/dp/0738838179)" by Ted Bell right now.

reversemigration
06-08-2010, 09:20 AM
I dropped it on Max's bed yesterday for him to inspect. He's read a bit already, but it's having to compete with today's rediscovery of a Calvin & Hobbes book he hadn't seen in a while....

Snoopy
06-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I dropped it on Max's bed yesterday for him to inspect. He's read a bit already, but it's having to compete with today's rediscovery of a Calvin & Hobbes book he hadn't seen in a while.... I'm going to go pick it up at the library this afternoon because this morning I realized that Nick of Time is a little too advanced for Noah at this time.