PDA

View Full Version : Planning a hs-ing high school "seminar"

inmom
02-25-2012, 04:26 PM
I'll go ahead and make a post in the new forum!

Some other families and I with middle school and early high school students are looking to plan a local seminar. We're going to ask those who have homeschooled through high school to be part of an "expert" panel for a Q and A session. We're also going to attempt to have local college reps participate to advise on the college enrollment process.

What I'm looking for are questions YOU would want answered if you could attend. I thought if I could get a decent list together as we approach our "experts," they would be better able to answer them in more detail with some prep.

Thanks in advance!

dragonfly
02-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Oo...I'd want to know what subjects, and how many years or credits of each, colleges like to see on a transcript. Some sample transcripts would be great, too.

dbmamaz
02-25-2012, 05:42 PM
I went to such a conference once. they covered how to teach 'hard' subjects, transcripts, college applications, community colleges. oh, drivers ed would be a good one - at least in my state, its tricky to do as a homeschooler. maybe graduation and prom questions.

Avalon
02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
My homeschool support group has done something like this almost every year. It's quite informal, and we invite parents of kids who have made it through high school and into secondary school to come and answer questions from the rest of the members. It's always very well-attended. Most people want to know about admissions requirements at various local schools, the path of the students through high school (correspondence, blended program, partial attendance at school, parent-directed, diploma or not?), and even things like how much control to give to the teenagers.

We did another similar question & answer night, but we invited the homeschool graduates (or teenagers) to come and talk about their high school experiences and take questions from the audience. That was so interesting.

dbmamaz
02-25-2012, 06:12 PM
oh, yeah, my conference had a panel discussion with home school grads - that was really cool! the funniest part was that basically the parents kept asking if there was anything the kids resented or felt they had missed out on, and no matter how it was phrased, the young ppl all had only positive things to say

Tayonoss
02-25-2012, 06:13 PM
I wish I didn't live so far away I would love to go to one of those. There is nothing like that here.( Only group is strongly Christian and they charge for everything)

PhoenixMamma
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Science - anything and everything on secular curriculum :)
Transcript writing
Dual enrollment, AP, Clep, etc.

inmom
02-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the opinions. Many of the questions seem to be quite universal!

jeanzs
02-29-2012, 03:36 PM
Let me know when and where. REady for this info. Kids in 6th and 7th. We do part time (for the electives adn extra curricular at our local school) all else is at home. The blend is good for us- but I want to navigate high school and mix community college into that mix.

gidamom
03-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Good luck Carol! I wish I actually lived close so I could attend. There is NOTHING like that here!

PrairiePoppins
03-19-2012, 03:33 PM
I always struggle with the tension between interest-led projects (or unit studies) and by-the-book. I was struck by the idea of turning passions into credits presented in "College Without High School" and I'd love more information on that process. More examples.

inmom
04-16-2012, 10:20 AM
It looks like we'll put this seminar on in July. (Everyone is so busy with life with teens that it's hard to nail us all down in one spot!)

We'll be discussing CORE 40 (Indiana grad requirements), transcripts, different approaches to homeschooling teens, and college admission/dual credit. I already have one local admissions rep committed to speak. I'll keep everyone updated on our planning and how it turns out.

Those of you in NW Indiana, we'll probably be having it in Valparaiso.

gidamom
04-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Oh that's sooo cool Carol!! I wish I were close enough to attend!! Good luck!

learningtogether
04-26-2012, 11:04 AM
That sounds great Carol! Thanks so much for doing this. I, too, wish I was closer but appreciate you asking us and really look forward to hearing about it.