PDA

View Full Version : Pen pal to encourage writing

SJayneI
02-25-2012, 12:04 AM
I know my daughter is a bit young (she's 4), but we are working on handwriting. She can write all of her letters and is working on putting words together.

I thought a pen pal would be terribly fun for her, even if it's mostly pictures and would be a great encouragement for handwriting practice.

We live in Oklahoma; I thought a little girl or boy in another part of the country, or even another country would be great!

Thoughts?

pnctink
02-25-2012, 10:11 AM
We're interested. My daughter loves having pen pals, but she's not really into writing yet. I usually print her dictations and she signs her name and draws pictures. :)

bovinesituation
02-25-2012, 10:43 AM
I would LOVE for my DS to do this. He writes letters but rarely makes words beyond his name and a couple of really short words, but I could write his message and he could draw a picture. He would love to get mail from a friend.

SJayneI
02-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Awesome!! Dictation will probably be a good portion of our correspondence as well. I will PM you both with our address.

I can't wait to get this started; she'll be so excited!!

bovinesituation
02-25-2012, 12:15 PM
This is going to be very cool :)

Jeninok
02-25-2012, 03:55 PM
I have been looking for a pen pal for my son as well, he is 10, but his writing skills are below that and I thought letter writing would be a great way to encourage writing....we are in oklahoma :)

Mud Hut Mama
04-01-2012, 05:50 AM
Can we join in too? My daughter may be a little too young - she'll be three next month but we live in Malawi and she is starved for friends. I'd have to write her messages or she can send artwork and photos. Are you thinking snail mail or could we do something electronically?

Staysee34
04-02-2012, 02:05 PM
This sounds fantastic! My girls are 10 and 8. Both of them are very reluctant readers/writers. We live in PA (literally a stones throw from Lake Erie). We have lots to write about but actually getting them to do it is painful. Writing to someone else would surely give them a serious "writing bug"! They love getting stuff in the mail. If you would like our address, please PM me.

Resaj
04-03-2012, 03:19 PM
This sounds fantastic! My girls are 10 and 8. Both of them are very reluctant readers/writers. We live in PA (literally a stones throw from Lake Erie). We have lots to write about but actually getting them to do it is painful. Writing to someone else would surely give them a serious "writing bug"! They love getting stuff in the mail. If you would like our address, please PM me.

We are interested too. Zara is a reluctant writer. There would probably be a fair bit of dictation involved, but she could draw and send photos. We are in GA. She is 6. Message me!

Resaj
04-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Can we join in too? My daughter may be a little too young - she'll be three next month but we live in Malawi and she is starved for friends. I'd have to write her messages or she can send artwork and photos. Are you thinking snail mail or could we do something electronically?

Jody,

My youngest is 3 and I bet she would love having an exotic e-pen pal.

What do you think?

Mud Hut Mama
04-05-2012, 04:23 PM
Resaj,

Yes please! How do you think we should get started?

Resaj
04-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Resaj,

Yes please! How do you think we should get started?

You could pm me your email and then I'll send you mine. We will help them both compose something. A few photos. Mom dictations. Scanned or photos of drawings emailed. Just an idea. What do you think?

JenniferJ
04-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I would love to join in on this! I have 3 girls (4,6,9) If anyone's interested, please let me know!! My girls love getting mail so this would b great!!

FairyMom
04-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Is there anymore room for a penpal? My oldest is 8. :)

ljswriter
04-21-2012, 06:12 PM
I'm new to the forum and would definitely be interested. My DD is 8 and a (highly) reluctant writer. She'd love to get things in the mail, but I think it'd be just as well (and faster!) to do scans of her handwritten letters, photos, etc. I could also involve her in learning how to use that equipment!

Staysee34
04-26-2012, 10:05 AM
My girls received their first pen pal letters today and are so excited! I love this!!

Mum
04-26-2012, 05:14 PM
I have been looking for a pen pal for my son as well, he is 10, but his writing skills are below that and I thought letter writing would be a great way to encourage writing....we are in oklahoma :)

My boy will be 10 in a few months. His motor skills were very delayed and his writing is not on par with any kid his age. PM me if you're interested in swapping addresses. He likes sending and receiving mail.

Punchie
04-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Can we possibly join as well? DD will be 6 in ab 2 months. She loves to write, and I would love for her to have another child appx her age to write to. I think she would love it. Who doesn't love getting mail?

Karangi
05-09-2012, 01:53 AM
I have a 9 yo daughter in Australia that would love a pen pal. So if anyone would like an international pen pal for their child let us know :-D Would love to do it via snail mail (because she loves getting things in the mail) but it would also be possible to do email!

GA_gypsy
05-30-2012, 01:27 AM
Uh oh, this seems like an older thread so I hope I'm not too late!

We'd love to join in also! J (5) is just starting to write and put words together but he's been getting bored with it. This would be a perfect (and sneaky) way for him to get excited about it again. Also, I want him to get excited about getting an old fashioned letter in the mailbox before those don't exist anymore!

I also have G who is 3. He'd love to join in with a younger friend as well and draw pics while I dictate. PM me! :D

tefu21
06-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Hi everyone! This is such an awesome idea! Is there anyone still open to having a pen pal? My DS will be turning 8 in a couple of months and would love to have a pen pal. Aloha from Hawaii!

Soma DasGupta
07-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Hi,

We'd love to join too!! My son will 6 this month and writes well though often reluctant to do that. I think having a friend to write too would work wonders for him as well. We live in ireland (though I'm american and my husband is dutch).

Karangi
07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I would love to join in on this! I have 3 girls (4,6,9) If anyone's interested, please let me know!! My girls love getting mail so this would b great!!

JenniferJ would your 9 yo daughter be interested in being a penpal with my 9yo daughter?

Karangi
07-01-2012, 08:28 PM

JenniferJ would your 9 yo daughter be interested in being a penpal with my 9yo daughter? PM me

Paula
07-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Hi,

We'd love to join too!! My son will 6 this month and writes well though often reluctant to do that. I think having a friend to write too would work wonders for him as well. We live in ireland (though I'm american and my husband is dutch).

I would love for Aidyn (6) to have a pen pal! Although he's terribly multi-ethnic (Hispanic, Irish, English, Portuguese, Scottish, etc.), he is especially proud of those Irish roots and would love to exchange letters/postcards with a pal in Ireland. Send me a message if you're interested, and we can swap addresses. :)

Paula
07-16-2012, 09:19 AM
I'm still on a search for a pen pal for my 6yo son. If anyone's interested, drop me a line! :)

hblyon
07-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Hi there,
My son is 9 1/2 and would like to be pen pals if you are still interested. What types of things is your son interested in? I can have Aaron write and initial letter and send it if you would like. This will be really fun, I loved having a pen pal when I was young.

naturegirl7
07-17-2012, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone! This is such an awesome idea! Is there anyone still open to having a pen pal? My DS will be turning 8 in a couple of months and would love to have a pen pal. Aloha from Hawaii!

Hi,

Hi,

Did you ladies find a PenPal yet? My son just turned 7. PenPals would be so much fun and a great way to encourage my reluctant writer :) We'd be up for multiple PPs too. We are in the Pocono Mountains of PA.

tefu21
08-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Did you ladies find a PenPal yet? My son just turned 7. PenPals would be so much fun and a great way to encourage my reluctant writer :) We'd be up for multiple PPs too. We are in the Pocono Mountains of PA.
Aloha Michelle! No, we haven't found a PP yet... Thanks so much for responding! :D PM me if you're still interested. "D" is gonna be so excited!