PDA

View Full Version : Who else is a 4H Cloverbuds leader?

krlaz
02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
I just finished the training to be a cloverbuds leader. I'm ready to start our group, but I still have some questions. The training I received was vague and really geared toward traditional 4H. I never did 4H as a child, so I don't have any background to help me. My biggest questions are these:

What does your meeting look like?
What kinds of projects have you done?
Where do you get your ideas? (I have lots of them but they aren't "official" Cloverbuds ideas...is that OK?)
How do you involve the parents?
Do you have a list of club expectations? Did you make that list as a group or did it come from you?

I know all of the kids who will be in our group, so I feel pretty good about leading the group. I'm just a little nervous about how to organize each meeting. Like I said...my training was vague and I didn't leave with a strong understanding of the expectation that 4H has for the Cloverbuds group.

Thanks for your help!

dottieanna29
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
I just started as a Cloverbud leader too. I agree, the training was not very helpful. I also found that a lot of the activities provided by my local office were pretty lame. I never did 4-H but I was a Girl Scout leader and a docent in the past, and I plan to use some of the materials I used for both of those. I did a pretty extensive internet search of other 4-H groups to get more ideas and I use all kinds of other ideas from around the internet. I did ask at my training about this and was told it was fine. My particular group has also decided to do badges for different activities.

The latest post on my blog describes what was our first official meeting. I typed up an activity guide with some ideas that I could send you if you want to send me a message with your email.

Jeni
02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
I've never had to take leadership classes to teach Cloverbuds.

We have the business portion of the meeting first. We go over old and new info, things coming up, events, calender, finances, sometimes speeches, voting, planning, etc. Next our kids split up into the different groups (cloverbuds, Jrs, and Srs).

Since we've been a part of 4H dd has done - Astronomy, magnets, community service (coloring and donating Easter eggs to a homeless shelter, valentines at an nursing home, collecting candy for soldiers, and cleaning up a park), and "Science Discovery Series" (Whales, Recycling, Rocks/minerals, trees, water quality/conservation). Other groups have done photography, puppets, art projects, farm animals (that was the Future 4H group).

They have a ton of books through the National 4H group, you can probably find them on the website. I don't have anything to do with that part of it, I just do what I am told. :)

In our group, strictly homeschoolers, we rotate among parents teaching. It's basically mandatory unless you have a good reason, like a baby or something. All parents stay and help in some capacity. They are involved in meetings, planning, organizing, and participating in everything.

I'm not sure what you mean by expectations. Like what you expect from the parents and students or what 4H expects from everyone.

crunchynerd
03-09-2012, 04:10 PM
We went to a meeting or two, nearly an hour's drive away with a 3 year old little brother and a baby, in tow, for an all-day Saturday meeting that seemed all parliamentary process. It was endless. I was trying to keep my baby and 3 yo from going nuts and taking everyone else with them. Then I found out that my daughter would be excluded from participating in what they do all summer, which is horses and shows, because as a cloverbud, she's too young, but in winter, they basically do nothing, though she's free to participate then! It didn't work out for us. I also never knew anything about 4-H growing up, though what I know about them now gives me shivers (Monsanto reps seem to be the ones giving the talks and awarding the recognition, almost like Monsanto owns 4-H, which makes a dreadful sort of sense).
Best wishes, wish I could offer anything helpful, but will be watching to see how it goes in case we could try starting something and emulate others' successes.

dottieanna29
03-09-2012, 04:30 PM
Part of the reason I didn't like the training was because the majority of it covered 4-H not Cloverbuds. I didn't realize until after that many clubs are combined for a least part of the time/activities, whereas mine and the only other group I'm aware of in our area, are both JUST Cloverbuds. So we don't do all the parliamentary procedure stuff, the business section is very short - basically just attendance and the pledges, no officers are elected. We do a short discussion/presentation section, an active game section and a craft at each meeting. We also do a separate field trip for some activities. We did weather and this month it's Pets, next month Bugs.

My parents mainly just assist with the craft portion. I have asked that they stay since we have a few kids that are 4 (which I allow because one of mine is 4) and it is not possible for me to help 15 kids with crafts. There are a few younger siblings who stay and the only problem that caused was my 4 year old loves little babies so spent the whole time entertaining one of them. Since the business/discussion portion is relatively short, background noise isn't really a problem.

wife&mommy
03-09-2012, 07:06 PM
We went to a meeting or two, nearly an hour's drive away with a 3 year old little brother and a baby, in tow, for an all-day Saturday meeting that seemed all parliamentary process. It was endless. I was trying to keep my baby and 3 yo from going nuts and taking everyone else with them. Then I found out that my daughter would be excluded from participating in what they do all summer, which is horses and shows, because as a cloverbud, she's too young, but in winter, they basically do nothing, though she's free to participate then! It didn't work out for us. I also never knew anything about 4-H growing up, though what I know about them now gives me shivers (Monsanto reps seem to be the ones giving the talks and awarding the recognition, almost like Monsanto owns 4-H, which makes a dreadful sort of sense).
Best wishes, wish I could offer anything helpful, but will be watching to see how it goes in case we could try starting something and emulate others' successes.
Wow I had no idea about the Monsanto connection. :( That makes me really sad! We just joined 4-H.

krlaz
03-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. Sorry I haven't replied sooner! It sounds like what I had in mind for our group is right on track. I think I was worried about the expectations that the families might have about the group. Since I've never been a part of 4H and my training wasn't very good, I was concerned that I might not be "doing it the right way".

I really appreciate you all sharing examples of what your meetings are like and what projects you have done. Please share more when you can!

dottieanna29, what are the badges that the kids can earn? I had no idea that was possible. Thanks for the link to your blog, too. Very helpful!

Jeni, thanks for sharing about how you involve the parents. I would love for more parents to teach at our meetings. How often do you all meet?

I don't know anything about a possible Monsanto connection. I know that 4H is a federally funded program under the USDA. I did a Google search and found lots of links to stories about Monsanto giving grants and such to 4H groups, but nothing about how it's involved in the process of creating 4H curriculum or anything. Do you have specific examples about the connection?

dottieanna29
03-09-2012, 08:38 PM
We are just ordering the badges from this place: https://www.advantageemblem.com/Home/StockPatchStore.aspx
They have a huge variety and the prices aren't bad.

idigpotatoes
03-10-2012, 08:07 PM
We are in 4-H in Wisconsin, i have had 2 go through 1 year of cloverbuds, and my youngest will be in it for a total of 3 years. she sits through our regular 4-H meetings, does the activties with the older kids and does fair projects for the cloverbud division, where she has to tell the judge about the project and she gets a participation ribbon. Never any mention of monsanto or any other company, except a thanks for the companies that give us money. the cloverbuds have county wide activties for just cloverbuds a few times a year, a christmas party, a cabin fever day in the winter and then they piggy back on our foods project cake revue to do projects with foods and be judged. its not a super active group but it gives them a chance to see what 4-h is about and get ready for being an official member.

Numericmama
03-11-2012, 03:08 AM
I looked into it with for my oldest son. But I really didn't feel comfortable with the pledge stuff. Does that feel contrived to anyone else?

We are going to home depot once a month for the woodworking shop and the kids do love having an apron and getting badges!

This year we have to focus on the visual and physical therapy, but I was thinking of starting up a regular 4H club about robotics next year. I know my son would love it!

findemerson
03-11-2012, 09:27 AM
Wow I had no idea about the Monsanto connection. :( That makes me really sad! We just joined 4-H.

This is a big reason why I've sort of let the idea die with my child. They are a Proud Supporter of 4-H and keep up with all of the statistics areas, programs, etc. and they address their conferences and meetings..They also are a part of the agriculture in the classroom program coordinated by the USDA. They're in with the FFA and pretty much all programs revolving around farm safety, as well.
If you go to the 4H website and click on volunteer and then volunteer news...all reps from their company. My poor child is disappointed---She doesn't feel comfortable with G-scouts and now she doesn't even want to be part of an organization that is so closely related to this company. She is considering making her own book club.

Jeni
03-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks for all your feedback. Sorry I haven't replied sooner! It sounds like what I had in mind for our group is right on track. I think I was worried about the expectations that the families might have about the group. Since I've never been a part of 4H and my training wasn't very good, I was concerned that I might not be "doing it the right way".

I really appreciate you all sharing examples of what your meetings are like and what projects you have done. Please share more when you can!

dottieanna29, what are the badges that the kids can earn? I had no idea that was possible. Thanks for the link to your blog, too. Very helpful!

Jeni, thanks for sharing about how you involve the parents. I would love for more parents to teach at our meetings. How often do you all meet?

I don't know anything about a possible Monsanto connection. I know that 4H is a federally funded program under the USDA. I did a Google search and found lots of links to stories about Monsanto giving grants and such to 4H groups, but nothing about how it's involved in the process of creating 4H curriculum or anything. Do you have specific examples about the connection?

We meet twice a month during the "school year" and we take a brake over the summer. We do meet to do a Flag Day ceremony in June (I think) and some years we participate in the 4th of July parade.

I've never heard of Monsanto, I had to google it. We are city folk for the most part, so we don't get into traditional 4H stuff. Some kids do stuff independently, but as a group we are much more science and community motivated so I don't get to hear about the farmier aspects of 4H.