PDA

View Full Version : R.E.A.L Science - I was confused

Snoopy
06-01-2010, 11:48 AM
Hmmm, maybe it's just me, but I just realized this morning that there are 2 different science curricula titled "Real Science" and it's confusing me:

1) R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey by Pandia Press (http://www.pandiapress.com/real_science.htm)

2) Real Science 4 Kids (http://www.rs4k.com/)

I'm still thinking about buying Real Science Odyssey Chemistry Level 1 for Noah next year based on the sample pages from the site and the table of contents, but I almost bought Real Science 4 Kids used from someone by mistake (good thing I was wondering why it was so much more!) and that led to my enlightenment :)

I just wanted to pass this observation on, so at least we strive to be exact when we discuss one of those packages on this group :)

camaro
06-01-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks for almost making that mistake for us, Nathalie! I noticed the slight difference in the titles and was wondering if they were related somehow. I should at least look at "Real" a little to educate myself on it. I looked at "R.E.A.L" last summer so am somewhat familiar with it.

dottieanna29
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
From what I understand Real Science 4 Kids is NOT a secular program and has an evangelical slant.

REAL Science Odyssey from Pandia Press is totally secular, as are their History program.

Edited to say: I just looked up their website and they call themselves neutral - no evolution/no creationism.

StartingOver
06-01-2010, 07:12 PM
R.E.A.L science for kids had a huge thread on TWTM forum, she says they are nuetral, but there were many who weren't so convinced. I have not seen either one in person.

crazymama
06-01-2010, 07:49 PM
I often refer to R.E.A.L Science Odyssey as RSO (as do most boards) and Real Science 4 Kids as RS4K.

RS4K is written by a christian who claims to have written it from a secular perspective, but after looking at it in depth (you can acutally view ALL of their books/workbooks on their site), it's far from anything I would use. Now we have used the beginning of RSO Chemistry 1 (the try before you buy) and have been delighted, I really hope they come out with some higher level stuff soon if I bring my oldest back home ;)

Snoopy
06-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Thanks all, that's good feedback and I'm glad that I was looking at buying the "right" one then! What's funny is that I realized that my friend, who first talked to me about "Real Science" and got me interested in it, was talking about RS4K (thanks for the acronym, crazymama!) and I looked up RSO by mistake and so for a couple of months we've been talking about using "Real Science" at the same time (but at different levels) and each of us thought the other was talking about the version SHE was interested in, lol. Oh, my friend is a Christian, btw, so RS4K would definitely be what she was looking for ;)