PDA

View Full Version : POTS diagnosis: Anyone else?

Mum
02-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Yesterday my 9yo was diagnosed with Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. It explains his hyperactivity, attention, and emotional issues.

Is anyone else HSing a kid with POTS. I had never even heard of it before?

mratts
02-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Just wanna jump in here for info. DS has ADHD and PDD diagnoses, so always interested in learning more.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-24-2012, 03:35 PM
I never heard of it before. I went to wikipedia. I am so sorry, it must be so hard for your son. I hope you can get some help/treatment for him.

dbmamaz
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
wow, thats a new one for me, too. what are the docs saying?

Mum
02-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Thanks.
He will be treated by a cardiologist and a child psychiatrist. The condition causes a lot of emotional issues like depression, anxiety and aggression. We've been dealing with all of those a lot recently which is what caused us to seek help. I had no idea a medical condition could cause hyperactivity and attention deficit like this.

ginnyjf
02-24-2012, 05:49 PM
All my love to your son. I have POTS and it's suspected in my son as well, but he doesn't have associated behavioral issues.

Mum
02-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Thanks, Ginnyf. Hugs back to you. I still don't fully understand what it is he has. It sounds like it manifests itself differently in everyone.

ginnyjf
02-25-2012, 12:01 PM
It's a dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system, so it can present itself in very different ways. I'd encourage you to check out the Dysautonomia Information Network (http://dinet.org/), but please don't let it frighten you. POTS is treatable although it takes some experimentation with treatment regimens because everyone responds differently. With the right combination of diet, medication and lifestyle changes, it's possible to function normally most of the time. Feel free to message me if you want to chat about it.

Mum
02-25-2012, 07:33 PM
That website is very helpful. Thank you! I may take you up on the pmsg soon.