PDA

View Full Version : High School forum??

dragonfly
02-22-2012, 06:50 PM
I hesitate to suggest adding yet another forum. I know some prefer that there not be too much on the main page. Here goes, anyway:

I'd like to suggest the addition of a forum (or sub-forum, or whatever you call them) for high school homeschooling. I am finding it increasingly difficult to find others with whom to share advice and experiences in the upper grades.

On this board especially, posts about high school stuff sometimes seems to get a little lost in the shuffle. Understandable, since it seems that most posters have younger kids.

Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way, and if so...well, you can feel free to ignore the suggestion. :) Are there enough others who would benefit from a separate area for high school? Is this even a good idea?

farrarwilliams
02-22-2012, 08:21 PM
I don't have high schoolers (yet) obviously, but I think that's a great idea, Kara (and I've been one of the people who felt like maybe there were too many subforums - actually, I still think that, but whatever - I read via "New Posts" pretty much exclusively now since someone pointed it out to me). Maybe it would help draw more high school questions and advice.

dbmamaz
02-22-2012, 08:45 PM
i dont have trouble finding the posts I want, but i think it probably would be a good idea. maybe middle school and high school tho? Because there are SO many more ppl homeschooling grade school and under than middle school and up. plus some things overlap, like some kids start algebra in middle and others start in high

dragonfly
02-22-2012, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I was thinking maybe middle school too, since by grade 7 or 8 you're probably thinking ahead to high school anyway...I'm not sure though, and I'd like to hear what others have to say, either way.

Tangent: When I was in school, we didn't have a middle school. Elementary was 1-6, and 7-8 was junior high.

farrarwilliams
02-22-2012, 09:44 PM
To continue your tangent, middle school is actually a model that came into fashion in the education world in the late 70's and how now become the norm. It was based around doing things in a certain way that was different from the traditional junior high, but I forget all the ins and outs of it. Now it's basically just those grades housed in a single building.

Topsy
02-23-2012, 09:31 AM
You know, I guess I thought grade-level specific conversations would congregate themselves into the group forums...like the "Homeschooling High School (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/group.php?groupid=15)" one. If you'd prefer to carry on those conversations in the main forum area, would some of you mind sharing your feedback on preferring main forum vs group forum discussions? All insight is welcome because it's a lot tougher making these decisions "behind the scenes" when you don't have all the angles. :) TIA!

inmom
02-23-2012, 10:16 AM
My two cents:

I have to admit that I don't check the forum's as often as I should. I think having a main group forum for high school/middle school would help me also wade through all the posts. I, too, realize that most of the posters here have youngers so that is what the predominance of the posts are about, naturally.

Thanks for all the work that you do, Topsy.

dbmamaz
02-23-2012, 10:50 AM
i have trouble with the groups - even when i have specifically tried to subscribe to them, i forget they are there. its too much work to check up on several different groups, and i dont get any notifications that there are new posts, so i miss them

dbmamaz
02-23-2012, 10:51 AM
oh, and to me 'middle school' and 'jr high' are different words for the same things, and some places its 678 and some places its 78 and some places its 789 but whatever, its kids who are bigger than gradeschoolers and younger than highschoolers, but academically usually its a bit more serious than grade school, no?

dragonfly
02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
oh, and to me 'middle school' and 'jr high' are different words for the same things, and some places its 678 and some places its 78 and some places its 789 but whatever, its kids who are bigger than gradeschoolers and younger than highschoolers, but academically usually its a bit more serious than grade school, no?

Yeah, probably. :) Where I live, middle school is 6-8. When I was in school in the 80s, junior high was 7 and 8, but we were in the same building as the high school. We had separate classes from the high school kids, but the hallways and cafeteria were shared by all.

I never think to look at any of the group forums, either. They seem like a good idea, but I guess it's kind of a catch-22. I never post to them because there are so few posts on them when I remember to check them!

farrarwilliams
02-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Yeah, I don't think the groups are very well used either. I certainly don't really look at them.

Tayonoss
02-23-2012, 06:57 PM
I would love to have a high school section. I feel really alone a lot. We do have younger kids but With her it would be nice to talk to others about the journey as well.

lakshmi
02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
I don't have high schoolers (yet) obviously, but I think that's a great idea, Kara (and I've been one of the people who felt like maybe there were too many subforums - actually, I still think that, but whatever - I read via "New Posts" pretty much exclusively now since someone pointed it out to me). Maybe it would help draw more high school questions and advice.

You're welcome!!

And I subscribe to the groups I want and when new posts show up I see them. But I use Settings first and reply to all that i've commented on, and then go to new posts.

I read all the new post titles, but I am here everyday. And I use groups a lot. I don't really care either way, because if it is a new post I will see it. But it could be cool to have a highschool forum area and even encourage HS kids to post!!! But...

Don't listen to me I have littles.

rumbledolly
02-24-2012, 12:01 PM
My two cents:

I have to admit that I don't check the forum's as often as I should. I think having a main group forum for high school/middle school would help me also wade through all the posts. I, too, realize that most of the posters here have youngers so that is what the predominance of the posts are about, naturally.

Thanks for all the work that you do, Topsy.

I agree - I don't check the forum very often, especially lately. I would love if there were a main forum group for middle/high school. It would be easier to wade through all the postings.

It's not that I'm uninterested in what other HS'ers on this site have to say it's just I don't really have much in common with those working with younger children.

Topsy you're the Tops!

Avalon
02-24-2012, 07:35 PM
I can also see the value of a middle + high school forum. My dd is 12, but I already notice that there is a big difference between "is my kindergartener doing enough?" and "is my 7th grader doing enough?"

clancariens
02-24-2012, 08:16 PM
I have one who will be a middle schooler next year and one that will be doing a bit of middle/high school stuff. So, I'd benefit from it I think, too. I don't check the groups often, though I subscribed to them. Mostly I just look at the stuff scrolling on the left or anything that I have a particular interest in searching for...just cause I'm only on for a short time.

mom4peace
02-24-2012, 08:31 PM
I have a high schooler. I think Middle School/High School might be a good compromise, and of course people can wander over whenever. For sorting purposes, it would be delightful. If I'm alone there, that would be far less interesting...

Elphie
02-24-2012, 08:59 PM
I have one who will be in HS next year, and I think having a MS/HS section would be very helpful!

Accidental Homeschooler
02-24-2012, 09:14 PM
My dd starts high school this Fall and I think it would be helpful. I have tried posting to the groups and I have gotten some helpful responses, just not the same in terms of numbers.

WindSong
02-24-2012, 10:47 PM
My ds will be in middle school next year. I think it would be very helpful to have a separate forum for middle school and up. I would definitely use it.

Topsy
02-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Thanks SO much for the helpful feedback, everyone. I will work on getting a middle/high school forum up over the weekend. This discussion is timely, too, because Pandahoneybee and I are in the works of actually creating a new homeschooling site specifically geared toward those homeschooling through high school...stay tuned for more info on that in the coming months!! :)

Tayonoss
02-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Awesome Topsy TYVM. :) I love the thought of a site for High school, and the section will be good too.

inmom
02-25-2012, 05:10 PM
This discussion is timely, too, because Pandahoneybee and I are in the works of actually creating a new homeschooling site specifically geared toward those homeschooling through high school...stay tuned for more info on that in the coming months!! :)

That's great! So many local homeschoolers here are now homeschooling through high school rather than sending them to ps. Some others in addition to myself are in the process of putting together a homeschooling high school forum, sort of a "panel of experts" who have already homeschooled a child(ren) through, along with college reps. Getting ideas from this group could prove helpful!

dragonfly
02-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Thanks Topsy! The new site sounds great, too!

gidamom
03-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks so much Topsy! I will be starting high school with my oldest this year, and definitely could use the help! Can't wait to use the new forum and to fins out more about your new site as well! :)