PDA

View Full Version : Which forums do you frequent?

Teri
05-30-2010, 02:10 PM
When the topic of selling items on this board came up, it was mentioned that there are other options to do that. Hive Mind was mentioned, I believe.
I am wondering which forums that everyone frequents and do you frequent them whether you philosophically agree or not?
I am not a classical homeschooler, so it feels weird to join a forum like "hive mind" where the philosophy is radically different from my own.

I am on these forums:
www.amitymama.com (not exclusively homeschooling, but a good number of homeschoolers. AP forum)
www.dfwareamoms.com (not a homeschooling board. It's a local forum for moms)
http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/show_sale_age.asp?st=1&en=1 (I peruse this one occasionally if I have something to sell)

Plus, I am on numerous Yahoo loops for local homeschoolers.

Are there any others that might be useful to a secular homeschooling family?

pandahoneybee
05-30-2010, 05:26 PM
I have found alot on Craigslist (http://www.craigslist.org/about/sites), we have gotten alot of Singapore Math, Story of the World and alot of reading books up there.

But I will have to check out the ones you listed too;)

StartingOver
05-30-2010, 09:36 PM
I am wondering which forums that everyone frequents and do you frequent them whether you philosophically agree or not?
I am not a classical homeschooler, so it feels weird to join a forum like "hive mind" where the philosophy is radically different from my own.

I think WTM forum is probably is the one I like best. Many people there are not classical. I would bet only about half of them are. I enjoy it because there never seems to be all the drama that is on most boards.

http://www.thehomeschoollibrary.com/ is one I like, I read the reviews there a lot.

Snoopy
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Despite the fact that I could save money by buying used and selling my own used stuff, it's too much work for me! So I donate my used stuff to my local group or thriftstores if my friends don't want it and I buy either new or borrow from friends. Buying new actually prevents me from spending too much because then I don't buy a ton of used stuff (unless it's at thriftstores or garage sales because then it's almost free!). I have bought used on Amazon before but usually, with the shipping, the price isn't all that much better than getting it new. I earn Amazon gift certificates through my Mastercard Reward program (USAA) so I wait until I have a gc to place orders for stuff that I need.

Wilma
05-31-2010, 01:46 PM
I like forums that have a variety of philosophies where people can openly share ideas without being attacked. I generally like the WTM forum for that reason. Many, many people there do not follow TWTM or have even read the book. My problem with it is that it moves too fast and, while it is very well moderated, I think some people on either side of an argument can get belittling and arrogant. JMO. I used to frequent homeschoolreviews, but it has become increasingly fundamentalist and I have serious problems with the moderation there. Some of my friends from that board have started a new forum and it is slowly taking shape. I also do the ning secular group.

Shoe
05-31-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm mostly on this forum. I also post on another fairly small and fairly private homeschooling forum and belong to two Yahoo groups about homeschooling. I don't tend to use any buy/sell functions of any groups though-I like Amazon, Barnes & Noble or physical book sales.

reversemigration
05-31-2010, 02:22 PM
I generally like the WTM forum for that reason. Many, many people there do not follow TWTM or have even read the book. My problem with it is that it moves too fast and, while it is very well moderated, I think some people on either side of an argument can get belittling and arrogant. JMO.

I noticed how quickly it moved as well. With so many people participating, it's a bit hard to stay on top of conversations. I use it to search for curriculum reviews or other specific ideas, rather than as a community.

Beyond that, I've joined a number of local Yahoo groups, one of which is having what appears to be a contentious annual meeting coming up. I plan to go, even if it's just to meet and greet and gauge the dynamics of the group. It seems that homeschoolers are a bit like the local joke about Germans (given that Cincinnati has a huge German population): when you get two Germans together, they'll form a group; when there are three, they'll have a schism.

hockeymom
05-31-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't go to any other forums, but I regularly lurk at several artsy mama/homeschooling type blogs. They (and here, of course!) definitely help keep me sane! :)

Wilma
05-31-2010, 04:19 PM
Vegsource used to be THE homeschooling forum but it has really slowed down. Moderation issues and outdated software. It is still, however, a busy place for curriculum sales.

camaro
05-31-2010, 04:39 PM
I use this site exclusively for support. I used to be on another forum that was simply too politically oriented (less about HS and more about politics/economics) and a Yahoo group that was a little too much about lifestyle. I find this place just right. The way this place is hopping now I don't have time for any other places anyway! Anyway, we do the annual used book sale at the convention as well as buying new material online from Amazon, etc. That keeps me plenty broke enough, thankyouverymuch! :)

paganmomblog
05-31-2010, 06:18 PM
I am here and on a local site. The local site seems to be more about posting about co-ops, book sales and park days. Trying to talk to anyone in a simple conversation is like pulling teeth, hope they aren't like that at a park day! I enjoy coming here for discussions and what nots.

firefly
06-01-2010, 05:04 PM
I just checked the Home School Legal Defense Association (HSLDA) website. Under "Resources and Shopping" you can check out "HSLDA's Curriculum Market". It states you don't have to be a member to sell - only to buy. I was a member when I h/sed previously. Before I join any legal group this time I hope to get input from you guys. Although their stated mission is to "protect the freedom of all homeschoolers regardless of their faith background" - they are scary christians. That said, you might be able to sell your wares - assuming your science books don't include any outrageous claims of evolution or anything!

crazymama
06-01-2010, 06:57 PM
I spend time here, TWTM, homeschoolspot (though it seems more and more of a christian hang out and I get close to puking there over it more and more lately and am seriously thinking of telling them all good bye), diaperswappers has an ok homeschool section and also a sale board I use.

I seem to spend way more time reading than posting anything anywhere.

Closeacademy
06-02-2010, 05:18 PM
I spend time here, The Well Trained Mind boards and the new place for users of Oak Meadow is http://oakmeadow.yuku.com/ A bunch of us had a social group on TWTM boards and they started this forum so we could talk more in-depth about OM.

dbmamaz
06-03-2010, 10:40 PM
I actually get a LOT of support from the yahoo secular home school group. I am also on my state ecelectic group and several local groups, including the local home school for sale group. I also dont really buy used, tho. . . . except I'm considering it for algebra, we're struggling so much. Oh, i'm also on a UU home school group. i'm rather group-addicted.