PDA

View Full Version : Some more of my gluten free baking

dbmamaz
02-20-2012, 06:34 PM
Before you get too excited about my recipes, know that I have more sensitivities to work around than just gluten and dairy - one kid reacts to rice and i react to tapioca and xanthan. So my recipes are a little different. But i've worked on them a lot and they work pretty well for us.

First of all, here is an old post (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/threads/5098-Gluten-free-pie-crusts) with my pie crust recipes.

Here is my favorite semi-sourdough bread (http://dbmamaz.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/my-gluten-free-artisan-bread/), which fails as often as it works, but is great when it works.

My favorite sandwich bread is from this book (http://www.amazon.com/Gluten-Free-Baking-Classics-Annalise-Roberts/dp/1572840994/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1329780459&sr=1-1), and i also use her fococcia recipe for pizza crust, with a slight tweak to the flour recipe. Similarly, my sub buns are made from her recipe, with a slight change in flours. For both the pizza and the sub buns, I have moved to a two-rise process. The longer the first rise, the better the flavor. Well, technically the pizza only gets one rise, and then you top it, but the buns rise in the bowl, then get spread in to a french bread pan lined with parchment, and rise again before baking. I also have been tossing a sprinkle of plain gelatin in to the buns, which seems to help the texture. The book is only $14 or so.

Here is my new biscuit recipe, which has been a real treat: (note, only makes 6 biscuits, i recommend doubling, but maybe after you make sure it works. you can sub tapioca for arrowroot)

1/2 c corn starch
1/2 c potato starch
1/4 c arrowroot starch
1/4 mixed bean and coconut flour
1/2 tsp guar gum
2 tsp BP
pinch BS
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c shortening
3/4 c sour milk

Note - for sour milk i have been mixing about 1 part soy yoghurt w 3 parts warm soy milk and leaving it in my slow cooker for a few hours, then refrigerating over night. For shortening I use part crisco and part unsalted fleishman's margarine (only the UNSALTED is vegan), which i measure the night before and freeze.

mix dry ingredients

briefly cut in shortening

gently add only enough milk to make a soft dough

shape by greased hand and place on cookie sheet

bake at 450 until brown, 10-15 minutes

skrink
02-20-2012, 09:01 PM
I've tried the sour dough bread recipe, and I've had mixed results. I would agree, though - when it works, it's awesome! I'm thinking the biscuits looks promising. I'll have to figure out something for the sour milk, though. Can't do soy and it's hard to find other yogurt options here. I'm considering trying my hand at maybe making coconut or almond milk yogurt. Anyone ever give it a shot?

dbmamaz
02-20-2012, 09:23 PM
I have made something similar using a can of full fat coconut milk and some acidopholous powder - my daughter is off soy and she needed yoghurt to put in a carrot soup and it was very flavorful, but never thickened like yoghurt. of course i only left it 5 hours or so.

jess
02-20-2012, 11:18 PM
I once made nice thick coconut milk yogurt... totally by accident. It was very bizarre. I'm not sure I could replicate it if I tried to do it on purpose. But I've heard of other people doing it. Most seem to use gelatin to thicken it up.