PDA

View Full Version : The Well Educated Mind ?

StartingOver
05-28-2010, 09:30 PM
I know we have some classical homeschoolers here. Has anyone read The Well Educated Mind. I know it will bring me to read many books that I other wise would have never thought of. I forced my way through Don Quixote! There is no way I could choke down Pilgrims Progress. But I am enjoying a lot of her selections. Working through the lists ever so slowly !

laundrycrisis
05-28-2010, 11:18 PM
I have not read it yet but I intend to. I am working my way through the recommended reading in TJEd, learning something about history for the first time in my life, and I have purchased materials to teach myself Latin. When I feel caught up with these learning projects I will begin working through this book. I will probably be about 80 or so by then. :p

Shoe
05-29-2010, 01:42 AM
One of my colleagues who homeschooled her children just recently lent me that book, but I haven't yet had time to read it. I do plan to though...

Melyssa
05-29-2010, 02:15 AM
I have a copy of the The Well Trained Mind to give away if anyone wants it. Hardcover but missing the dust jacket. It just isn''t my kind of thing. First person to request it, gets it.

BPier12
05-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi Melyssa,

Is it the most recent edition (2009)? If it is, I'd be delighted to have it because I was just getting ready to buy it. PM me to work out details. I'd be happy to pay the shipping. Thanks!

reversemigration
05-29-2010, 12:49 PM
Jana, I haven't read it, but it seems akin to the Great Books movement that was around fifty years ago or so. (In fact, I'm looking up at the series on the bookshelf right now.) I'll have to take a peek at it.

StartingOver
05-29-2010, 02:37 PM
I have not read it yet but I intend to. I am working my way through the recommended reading in TJEd, learning something about history for the first time in my life, and I have purchased materials to teach myself Latin. When I feel caught up with these learning projects I will begin working through this book. I will probably be about 80 or so by then. :p

80? Maybe we will finish at the same time ? LOL

StartingOver
05-29-2010, 02:46 PM
One of my colleagues who homeschooled her children just recently lent me that book, but I haven't yet had time to read it. I do plan to though...

It wasn't around on my first trip through school. I know some folks on TWTM forums, use it for highschool. Or the parents are working through it on their own.

StartingOver
05-29-2010, 02:48 PM
Jana, I haven't read it, but it seems akin to the Great Books movement that was around fifty years ago or so. (In fact, I'm looking up at the series on the bookshelf right now.) I'll have to take a peek at it.

50 years ago ? I wasn't born then. hehe

Melyssa
05-29-2010, 03:40 PM
No, the copyright says 1999. Let me know.

callie
05-29-2010, 04:39 PM
I have a copy of the The Well Trained Mind to give away if anyone wants it. Hardcover but missing the dust jacket. It just isn''t my kind of thing. First person to request it, gets it.

If Beth doesn't take it I will. Let me know.

StartingOver
05-29-2010, 10:45 PM
No, the copyright says 1999. Let me know.

Is that The Well Trained Mind, or the Well Educated Mind ??? The Well Trained Mind if it is 1999 is the first edition. If no one else wants it, I sure do. My youngest son took my copy when he left for Basic. hehe.

reversemigration
05-29-2010, 11:37 PM
50 years ago ? I wasn't born then. hehe

After all the running around today, I only feel that way. :)

Melyssa
05-30-2010, 03:05 AM
If Beth doesn't take it I will. Let me know.

Beth didn't want it. If you still do, pm me your address and I'll mail it.