PDA

View Full Version : Standardized Testing Time is near.

OrganicFrmGrl
02-15-2012, 09:11 AM
I dislike this time of the year. I need a little help this year. Last year I used the IOWA test and DS did ok. This year I found a CO-OP and they use Terra Nova. Does anyone have any thoughts on Terra Nova?

dbmamaz
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
I dont know the rules in WV . . .but one of the best things ever was something someone told me during an intro to homeschooling session at my inclusive conference (coming up in a month if you want a road trip!) - dont think of them as tests. Its just something that has to be filled out so that the county can put a check mark on your file and say you have filled the requirements. No one is going to come congratulate you if your child aces the test. It doesnt matter.

We use the CAT test because its cheap and easy to use. Each of my boys has 1 section they bomb (different sections from each other) but i dont care. I know what their strengths and weaknesses are. I am working with them where they are. I only care that they do well enough so the school district leaves us alone.

Sorry if thats not much help about choosing a test - but hopefully you can take to heart not caring too much about it!

Staysee34
02-15-2012, 10:34 AM
My feelings about assessments is very similar to Cara's. It's simply another form of paperwork to meet the state requirements. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it until next year. I am more concerned with the stress my children feel about these types of tests that stems from the PS pressure to perform well. We'll be using the CAT. I downloaded released CAT questions from here: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/css05rtq.asp. I figure we'll use these to help the girls understand the format. I am also fortunate to have found a former special education teacher to be our evaluator. She also administers the CAT in a small group, home setting.

CatInTheSun
02-15-2012, 11:25 AM
My feelings about assessments is very similar to Cara's. It's simply another form of paperwork to meet the state requirements. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it until next year. I am more concerned with the stress my children feel about these types of tests that stems from the PS pressure to perform well. We'll be using the CAT. I downloaded released CAT questions from here: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ta/tg/sr/css05rtq.asp. I figure we'll use these to help the girls understand the format. I am also fortunate to have found a former special education teacher to be our evaluator. She also administers the CAT in a small group, home setting.

Thanks for the link! Very helpful. :)

Staysee34
02-15-2012, 11:19 PM
You're more than welcome! I snagged it from an old post by Gabriela some time back and bookmarked it because I also found it very useful.

Numericmama
02-16-2012, 08:50 PM
We do our tests over the computer at home. I see them as a way to teach my son test taking skills. I remind him to pay attention to the whole question and teach him how to cross off the ones he knows are wrong. We don't take any tests at home, so this is his only opportunity to practice this skill that he will need if he takes the SAT someday. Or "gasp" ends up in school someday. Also, by seeing these tests as a learning opportunity - I feel like I am providing him with a framework in which to view tests as he gets older. My sister has horrible test anxiety that has held her back in life.

FWIW - I am fully aware of the shortcomings of standardized tests and would prefer that the practice be discontinued. I just don't think they are going to go away anytime soon.