PDA

View Full Version : Real Science 4 Kids

leav97
05-28-2010, 04:30 PM
I just downloaded the e-book for pre-level 1 Biology on Wed for my pre-k/k/1st grader(DD is going to be 6 is mid-June). I think if we really focused it could be completed in ~3 weeks. Maybe I'm missing something. It seems really, really easy. Has anyone else used the Real Science 4 Kids Pre-level 1 books?

Teri
05-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Did you get the text and the lab manual?

leav97
05-29-2010, 06:02 PM
I have all 3 books for Biology. The student book, lab manual, and teacher book.

RahRah
06-02-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't think you're missing anything - I recently ordered the bundle of bio, chem and physics, pre-level 1.....we'll easily be done in a year and still be looking for more to do - I was disappointed since the bundle is sold as three years worth of material. I just can't see how it would take three years!

Wilma
06-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Each book in Level 1 is 10 weeks, so all 3 books together are one year of curriculum. This was a curriculum that I really wanted to like. I liked that they had to learn how to set up a lab manual. However, you can find lab sheets on the internet or make your own, and I found we got more information in the Science Explorer books. However, we had a doctor teaching this series to our co-op this year and she pointed out that the vocabulary and writing in general are much more sophisticated than in other science texts. She felt it did a great job introducing scientific terms and getting students used to them. The experiments were a little lame.

We did have some people use Pre-Level 1 in co-op. The chapters line up with Level 1. The lab manual was less involved in pre-level 1 so it was a good introduction to the system.