PDA

View Full Version : What's For Dinner?

wife&mommy
02-13-2012, 04:11 PM
Curious what you all are currently eating! :)

I am making Mushroom/Spinach/Cheese Quiche tonight and probably some sort of hashbrowns or potatoes to go with it.

jennykay
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
We're making a mild yellow curry with potatoes, carrots, and broccoli. My kids will eat the jasmine rice with the curry sauce provided that the veggies are served plain separately. Since New Years Day I've only cooked ONE MEAL per evening and it's working ok as long as I don't combine all the ingredients :) Makes me happy.

skrink
02-13-2012, 04:55 PM
I've been firing up the crock pot more lately. Tonight it's chicken tortilla soup w/ brown rice, tomorrow I'm making pinto beans and cornbread. Curry sounds good. I haven't done that in a while - thanks for the idea!

KristinK
02-13-2012, 05:09 PM
jennykay my kids won't eat stuff all mixed either. I always have to keep veggies RAW and on the side. But I was the same way as a kid, so as frustrating as it can be, I'm getting used to it!
Tonight we're having (raw) carrots/peppers/cucumbers, and then breakfast sausages and hashbrowns.

bovinesituation
02-13-2012, 05:21 PM
Well, I had planned to make more chicken but it smelled funny, so we'll eat the tiny bit of leftover BBQ chicken from last night, leftover bread, and baked potatoes. DH and I will have some chili from the freezer since the chicken is only enough for the kids.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Chicken stir fry with rice tonight. The rest of the week: beef and barley soup; chicken tangine (with chickpeas and cumin), lentil soup, and spiced turkey burgers with yogurt sauce.

Staysee34
02-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Tonight, it's easy chicken bake with stuffing and mixed veggies. It's a favorite around here but I haven't made it in a while. I'm not a planner so I have no idea what the rest of the week looks like. I have some beef tips in the freezer that are calling out to be thrown in the crock pot....hmmmmm. Well, looks like tomorrow night is covered.

wife&mommy
02-13-2012, 07:18 PM
Tonight, it's easy chicken bake with stuffing and mixed veggies. It's a favorite around here but I haven't made it in a while.

My family loves that, too. I make it in the crockpot. I think we'll have it this week!

Tomorrow I'm doing all heart shaped food. LOL Silly, but the kids will like it. :)

dbmamaz
02-13-2012, 07:30 PM
tonight: roast chicken (2 of them) with potatoes in the pan, broiled asparagus
tomorrow: french Canadian shepherds pie (meat, potatoes, green beans, creamed corn)
Wed: pot pie w leftover chicken (lasagna sized . . . )
Thurs: tacos
Fri: sub sandwiches, which we might take with us? Trying to figure that one out

farrarwilliams
02-13-2012, 07:42 PM
Tonight: nothing really - we had spaghetti and meatballs for "tea" instead (3:00 meal)

Last night was better: lemon-basil chicken breast, corn and zucchini fritters, green salad and lots of tomatoes. Yes, I'm suddenly craving summer in case you can't tell.

KristinK
02-13-2012, 08:24 PM
My family loves that, too. I make it in the crockpot. I think we'll have it this week!

Tomorrow I'm doing all heart shaped food. LOL Silly, but the kids will like it. :)

what are you making? I just remembered that I "pinned" a recipe for heart-shaped cinnamon buns for tomorrow...guess I better look at it now...
I wanted to make heart-shaped calzones for dinner, but the kids kinda poo-pooed that idea.

wife&mommy
02-13-2012, 08:36 PM
We are making...
Breakfast - Heart shaped pancakes (and yogurt/fruit)
Lunch - Cutting their sandwiches into a heart shape :) (with fruit)
Dinner - We are going to make heart shaped pizzas (with broccoli, I was going to do salad but forgot to buy lettuce! LOL)
Snack - We are going to make heart shaped cookies with red sprinkles on top

The runner up for breakfast was like a "toad in the hole" or "bird in a nest" type thing where you cut a heart shaped hole in the bread and then let the egg cook inside it. Still may do that if they say they prefer it instead of the pancakes. Then generally choose breakfast and I choose the rest of the day.

KristinK
02-13-2012, 08:41 PM
yummy ideas. in the past I've done beet-pancakes so that they're pink, but I forgot to get beets (they don't taste like beets...there's cottage cheese and cinnamon in them too, so yum!).

I'm too tired to start dough for cinnamon buns tonight, so I think we'll make them together for a yummy snack instead.

lakshmi
02-13-2012, 08:52 PM
I had arby's with my dad.... no kids..

ginnyjf
02-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Cheeseburger pie and broccoli for the masses; leftover vegetarian chili for me. Can't convert my two carnivores and not even going to try.

opheliag
02-13-2012, 09:43 PM
I had a coupon for free Papa John's, so the kids ate that. It was vegan "chicken" lettuce wraps with a yummy dipping sauce and asparagus for me. Tomorrow night will probably be potato soup, salad, and oatmeal bread. Wedsnesday night will be lentil burgers, cabbage soup, and carrot sticks. I need to plan for the rest of the week.

jess
02-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Duck. Following roughly this recipe: http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/11/the-best-way-to-roast-a-duck-hello-crispy-skin/

Darn keyboards, having F and D right next to eachother. Good thing I caught that typo!

wife&mommy
02-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Tonight we had kielbasa with cabbage, so good. And mashed potatoes as well.

KristinK
02-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Duck. Following roughly this recipe: http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/11/the-best-way-to-roast-a-duck-hello-crispy-skin/

Darn keyboards, having F and D right next to eachother. Good thing I caught that typo!

*drool* and duck-fat hashbrowns?? oh yum! now duck is going on my next shopping list.

jess
02-16-2012, 11:44 AM
*drool* and duck-fat hashbrowns?? oh yum! now duck is going on my next shopping list.

Not yet, but probably duck fat sweet potato fries today for lunch.

Bonus: The baby doesn't appear to have a problem tolerating duck (she is allergic to turkey). I think I know what we're having next Thanksgiving!

Crabby Lioness
02-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Seafood-vegetable quiche for our weekly fish meal. Gotta go make the crust so it'll have time to settle down.

inmom
02-16-2012, 01:35 PM
Last night: Sweet and sour chicken over rice.

Tonight: Scallops with pasta, asparagus, califlower, and some fruit.

Tomorrow: Homemade falafel (trying it for the first time), homemade humus w/ pita bread, salad.

Honest admission: Dh is the the meal planner, and typically the chef too. He works from home, and I'm usually tutoring other kids in the afternoon/evenings, so he's taken over kitchen duty.

Tayonoss
02-16-2012, 01:41 PM
tonight is speghetti and meatballs with sauce. Tomorrow homemade pizza cause I'm lazy and my DD1 can make it :P

wife&mommy
02-16-2012, 02:56 PM
Everyone's meals sound so yummy! We are just having leftovers tonight. :)

jess
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
Honest admission: Dh is the the meal planner, and typically the chef too. He works from home, and I'm usually tutoring other kids in the afternoon/evenings, so he's taken over kitchen duty.
I do about half the dinners. Or less overall, since DH grills frequently when the weather is good. Our housemate cooks on the three days a week that I work. DH also comes up with the ideas about 60% of the time - I don't mind cooking, but I do mind having to figure out exactly what I'm going to cook every single time.

(I did cook the duck, though)