PDA

View Full Version : Another good reason to homeschool...

camaro
05-28-2010, 05:10 PM
We got a call today from the local public school secretary. Turns out they're having an outbreak of head lice! We got called because one of the kids sent home also plays baseball with our kids and the secretary is one of the coaches so she thought she'd give us a heads-up on it just in case.

But it's another reason to be glad we homeschool! :)

StartingOver
05-28-2010, 05:41 PM
The one year my oldest went to prekinder a million years ago it seems, there were lice outbreaks 4 times in 6 months. Lice is among one of the reasons I love homeschooling !!! There are tons of others too LOL.

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 06:09 PM
Yes that is a good reason! my sister lives in TX and her kids get it at least once a year!

reversemigration
05-28-2010, 06:31 PM
This last year we've had 4 different notices from school about lice outbreaks. Fortunately, we made it through with nothing coming home. I'm guessing that DS's resistance to hair brushing actually came in useful for once, in that he's unlikely to share any combs or brushes. :p

Oh, and I found out today that the kid who was bullying Max for half the year got a Good Citizenship award at the assembly today. I kid you not. The administration and teachers knew he was a problem, too. Evidently Good Citizenship is one of those Orwellian terms which means that he got his work done on time, rather than being, y'know, a good citizen.

StartingOver
05-28-2010, 06:36 PM
This last year we've had 4 different notices from school about lice outbreaks. Fortunately, we made it through with nothing coming home. I'm guessing that DS's resistance to hair brushing actually came in useful for once, in that he's unlikely to share any combs or brushes. :p

Oh, and I found out today that the kid who was bullying Max for half the year got a Good Citizenship award at the assembly today. I kid you not. The administration and teachers knew he was a problem, too. Evidently Good Citizenship is one of those Orwellian terms which means that he got his work done on time, rather than being, y'know, a good citizen.

From what I saw first hand in the public school system ( in Texas with my niece ), you can get Good Citizenship for behaving just a few days after being a pain in the rear all year !!! UGH

Riceball_Mommy
05-28-2010, 06:42 PM

My two sisters in law miss a good bit of time from school it seems, and the one kept talking about what a hard time she's having and how she's going to fail. They're both on the honor roll and the one got an award for excellent attendance.

hockeymom
05-28-2010, 07:00 PM
OMG the idea of lice freaks me out so much! Thank goodness we got through 1 1/2 years of ps without incidence (though plenty of notices sent home). Hope your family makes it through unscathed, David!

Oh yeah, those fantastic "good citizenship" awards--what a crock. Too many stories to relate here, but they'll make me laugh at their ridiculousness and irony forever. Orwellian is exactly the right description.

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 07:23 PM
We have had to deal with lice outbreaks several times and it was NO FUN (girls-- long hair and all). At some point we had 4 back to back. Ugh. But a couple of years ago the only kid who got lice was Noah, our homeschooler, and we never understood where he got it from... the movies, the playground, a playdate ... they strike anywhere and they do not discriminate!

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Ben , the parents probably "bought" the award. Ugh. What a joke!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Ben , the parents probably "bought" the award. Ugh. What a joke!

I agree with Snoopy! they bought it to make themselves feel better for raising a bully! Alex had alot of problems with kids when he was in school too. Funny once you meet the parents you understand where it comes from!

StartingOver
05-28-2010, 09:13 PM
Funny once you meet the parents you understand where it comes from!

You can say that again !!

schwartzkari
05-28-2010, 11:14 PM
My daughter has never been in public school BUT we did manage to get headlice. My sister's HIGHSCHOOL (yes, as in 9-12th grade where kids should know better than to be sharing brushes...) had an outbreak. My sister usually comes and stays a few weeks with me during her spring and summer breaks. She didn't realize she had lice and infested my apartment, my hair, my daughter's hair. It was a true nightmare. I couldn't sleep right for weeks because I was terrified that I didn't kill them all with the special shampoo and deep cleanings. lol.

StartingOver
05-28-2010, 11:51 PM
My daughter has never been in public school BUT we did manage to get headlice. My sister's HIGHSCHOOL (yes, as in 9-12th grade where kids should know better than to be sharing brushes...) had an outbreak. My sister usually comes and stays a few weeks with me during her spring and summer breaks. She didn't realize she had lice and infested my apartment, my hair, my daughter's hair. It was a true nightmare. I couldn't sleep right for weeks because I was terrified that I didn't kill them all with the special shampoo and deep cleanings. lol.

I learned a long time ago, that lice will not attach to oiled hair. When my daughter got lice once, she had very long hair. The special shampoo didn't do any good. I drowned her hair in petrolium jelly and left it covered for 24 hours. They all combed right out. Since then she has worn oil in her hair every time she is where she could get lice. LOL She is 22 and still does it, just to pick up her cousins at school, or when she goes to the library that has a common couch, when they do story time for her son. LOL She has never had another case of lice.

schwartzkari
05-28-2010, 11:55 PM
I learned a long time ago, that lice will not attach to oiled hair. When my daughter got lice once, she had very long hair. The special shampoo didn't do any good. I drowned her hair in petrolium jelly and left it covered for 24 hours. They all combed right out. Since then she has worn oil in her hair every time she is where she could get lice. LOL She is 22 and still does it, just to pick up her cousins at school, or when she goes to the library that has a common couch, when they do story time for her son. LOL She has never had another case of lice.

Thank you for that tip! My sister will be a junior this year. She just found out that she passed all her testing and will actually be taking some college courses while she finishes up highschool...I'm going to buy her a case of vaseline for a "congratulations" gift. HA HA :D

StartingOver
05-29-2010, 12:17 AM
Thank you for that tip! My sister will be a junior this year. She just found out that she passed all her testing and will actually be taking some college courses while she finishes up highschool...I'm going to buy her a case of vaseline for a "congratulations" gift. HA HA :D

Oh don't do that LOL She can just use hair oil........ My daughter uses Olive Oil or similair hair oil will do the trick, and isn't near as thick or as hard to get out. Save the Vasonline for actual infestations. ;-)

Vasoline takes literally weeks to get out of hair, but it smothers the little buggers. For long hair that you don't want to cut, I would recommend it every time. But they will need a bandana to wear after too or some kind of BIG HAT !!

Shoe
05-29-2010, 02:50 AM
Ugh! I'm definitely a phthiriophobe!

My daughter came home from school a few years ago with head lice...I bought both pyrethin and permethrin shampoos and cream rinses and treated the whole family that night. Then I shaved mine and my son's head, and used fine tooth combs on my wife and daughter. I did eight loads of laundry that evening and sprayed all the mattresses with an anti-lice spray, vacuumed all the carpets and then steam cleaned them. All stuffed animals were sealed in plastic bags and put in the freezer for 2 weeks. The next day, we repeated the whole thing again. And we used the fine tooth combs (new ones) every day for two weeks...and then repeated the shampoo and creme rinse again, along with another round of deep cleaning the beds and carpets...

Working in an ER, I often see patients with lice (or scabies) and even though I gown and glove well, I always stop at the pharmacy on the way home and buy an over hte counter lice treatment which I use as soon as I get home. Irrational? Yes, but I hate lice...

Ugh! Now I'll be scratching all night just thinking about it...

Melyssa
05-29-2010, 03:16 AM
Homeschool circles get lice too. Twice in the past it ran through an enrichment program my daughter attended with about 80 kids or so. Luckily it missed her somehow!

paganmomblog
05-29-2010, 08:25 AM
For all the outbreaks at my girls' elementary school.....no lice here yet! WHEW! I had nits once and it made me feel so dirty just having the nits.

For the awards, a teacher confided in me that they are encouraged to give awards out evenly to the children. So that problem kids will feel motivated to do better to get more positive attention. I think that's crap myself, the problem kid is learning it doesn't matter how they behave.

schwartzkari
05-29-2010, 12:03 PM
For all the outbreaks at my girls' elementary school.....no lice here yet! WHEW! I had nits once and it made me feel so dirty just having the nits.

For the awards, a teacher confided in me that they are encouraged to give awards out evenly to the children. So that problem kids will feel motivated to do better to get more positive attention. I think that's crap myself, the problem kid is learning it doesn't matter how they behave.

I completely agree with you about awarding the "problem kids."

camaro
05-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Ugh! Now I'll be scratching all night just thinking about it...

How do you feel about ticks? They're insane here, too. Our smallest twin, Matthew, and our little Maltese-Shih tzu pup are tick magnets this spring. I've picked up a few myself working/walking in tall grass. One day I was driving into the city and picked two off myself during the trip (about an hour) and while standing at the counter at a farm supply store a woman who walked in behind my picked on off the back of my shirt.

Gotta love country living!

Shoe
05-29-2010, 01:13 PM
How do you feel about ticks? They're insane here, too. Our smallest twin, Matthew, and our little Maltese-Shih tzu pup are tick magnets this spring. I've picked up a few myself working/walking in tall grass. One day I was driving into the city and picked two off myself during the trip (about an hour) and while standing at the counter at a farm supply store a woman who walked in behind my picked on off the back of my shirt.

Gotta love country living!I live in New England-plenty of ticks around here, and sadly, about 50% of them carry Lyme disease here in New Hampshire (last year's figures). My son was just diagnosed with Lyme from a tick bite last week, so is currently on a 4 week course of doxycycline.

Ticks? I hate them. They're worse than bedbugs, lice or even scabies. Nasty, vile things. I've got absolutely no use for ticks. We live in the country too (well, small town in the country) and I've got a 1/2 acre of woods, so no shortage of those disgusting things here. Ugh!

(Usually, I like insects and other bugs-great with spiders and flies and caterpillars...I don't even really mind mosquitoes much. I jsut don't like these burrowing kinds of parasites. :()

Snoopy
05-31-2010, 12:56 PM
My son was just diagnosed with Lyme from a tick bite last week, so is currently on a 4 week course of doxycycline. Shoe, is he going to be OK, then? I heard Lyme disease is hard to diagnose so it's good that they caught it! My friend picked up a tick the other day while were at Wekiwa Springs State Park. Thankfully I had a first-aid kit with tweezers so we were able to carefully pull it out and disinfect. I don't think I would have noticed it because it was high on her thigh and tiny (I always thought it would be bigger and filled with blood) but it definitely was a tick. David can you guys spray some kind of tick deterrent on yourselves before going out or is it a concern because of the chemicals?

hjdong
05-31-2010, 12:59 PM
I hope he feels better soon. I grew up near Old Lyme/Lyme area in CT, now infamous for the disease. In So CA, ticks are not a problem. I don't miss them.

camaro
05-31-2010, 01:44 PM
Deep Woods Off is a tick (and mosquito) repellent which we use often, but fortunately our ticks do not carry Lyme disease (yet). I have heard ticks are being tested here, though, to keep an eye out for it. By mid-summer they're not around anymore and I'm sure we won't miss them.

Shoe
05-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Shoe, is he going to be OK, then? I heard Lyme disease is hard to diagnose so it's good that they caught it! My friend picked up a tick the other day while were at Wekiwa Springs State Park. Thankfully I had a first-aid kit with tweezers so we were able to carefully pull it out and disinfect. I don't think I would have noticed it because it was high on her thigh and tiny (I always thought it would be bigger and filled with blood) but it definitely was a tick. David can you guys spray some kind of tick deterrent on yourselves before going out or is it a concern because of the chemicals?

I think he'll be fine.Thanks for your thoughts. We had him checked because of a lot of unexplained joint pains, but now that he is on antibiotics, he is already feeling better (1 week into the 4 week course). There are various kind of ticks-some small, some larger...all foul, vile, disgusting. Once they've embedded, they start to feed on blood, become engorged and are a lot bigger at that time. I wear Herbal Armour (http://www.allterrainco.com/insect_repellent.html) insect repellent when I'm in the woods, which seems to be helping. I cant use normal, chemical insect repellents because my skin reacts really badly to them.

I hope he feels better soon. I grew up near Old Lyme/Lyme area in CT, now infamous for the disease. In So CA, ticks are not a problem. I don't miss them.Thanks for your concern-he's already feeling better.

Ground Zero for ticks. I wouldn't miss them either.

pandahoneybee
05-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Glad to hear that he is doing better! I hate ticks too! But here in my yard mosquitos are my worse enemy they can find me anywhere in 2 seconds flat!

dbmamaz
06-03-2010, 11:36 PM
the other week we were leaving home school 'recess', and my younger one said, good, lets leave before that kid comes over here, cuz he lies. But he doesnt speak very clearly, and another woman GRABBED my son to stop him from leaving, and asked him to repeat what he said. He said it again and I repeated 'he said that kid lies." She said, oh, good, I thought he said that kid has LICE." Ok, but do you really need to scare the crap out of my kid?

I think my daughter got lice once at school when we were living in a really bad area. I had to be treated for scabies once when living on the commune . . .however, I didnt have it. My daughter (who was about 1) had it on her diaper area, her father had it between his toes, and the other man in our lives had it on his arm, where he carried my daughter bare-butt. I was sleeping with all of them . . but I showered every day. It turns out they cant survive the hot water and their breeding cycle requires that they be on top of your skin for more than 24 hours.

and now you know just HOW freaky a hippy I was! (feeling a bit nostalgic having just watched 'commune' on netflix streaming. Mine wasnt quite like that, tho)