PDA

View Full Version : Potlucks

Crabby Lioness
02-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Into every life, a potluck will eventually descend. Right now mine are an hour away at the nearest Universalist church, which has an outdoor picnic area and a miniscule kitchen. I'm trying to spruce up my menu. I've previously made mujadara (lentils and rice), chicken fingers, and cookies. I'm thinking of making cheese rolls and maybe mini-quiches. What are your favorite recipes and transportation/serving tips?

Tayonoss
02-12-2012, 06:19 PM
I usually make a rice dish..or sweet n sour meat balls and rice in the crock pot cause then its still warm.

ginnyjf
02-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I'll make a huge crockpot full of vegetarian chili because sometimes vegetarian dishes are hard to come by at potlucks. My crockpot has a carrying handle so I can usually transport it easily in a cardboard box. I also like to make roll-ups with cream cheese, thinly sliced cucumber or lettuce, and either different types of lunchmeat or extra veggies on tortillas. I wrap it up ahead of time and secure with toothpicks and refrigerate. Then I just bring a serrated knife and a platter and slice it into individual servings at the venue.

farrarwilliams
02-12-2012, 06:35 PM
I usually make a variation of this recipe (http://www.fostersmarket.com/recipe/black-bean-and-yellow-rice-salad/) from Sara Foster for Yellow Rice, Black Beans and Foster's Salsa. It can be really pretty, with yellow rice all around, black beans in a layer inside that, and the salsa in a spot in the middle. I admit I usually just buy yellow rice mix, but I make the salsa homemade. It transports well, it's vegetarian, it's hearty, but it also makes a nice side dish. It's not vinegary or creamy which turn some people off. It's flavorful but not daring so it's crowd friendly. I humbly say that it's been the first thing polished off at several potlucks.

Oops, how could I forget! I usually slice an avocado and put it all around in a fan shape. I know, now I'm being a food presentation dork, but it's really nice. Really.

wife&mommy
02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
I usually make a variation of this recipe (http://www.fostersmarket.com/recipe/black-bean-and-yellow-rice-salad/) from Sara Foster for Yellow Rice, Black Beans and Foster's Salsa. It can be really pretty, with yellow rice all around, black beans in a layer inside that, and the salsa in a spot in the middle. I admit I usually just buy yellow rice mix, but I make the salsa homemade. It transports well, it's vegetarian, it's hearty, but it also makes a nice side dish. It's not vinegary or creamy which turn some people off. It's flavorful but not daring so it's crowd friendly. I humbly say that it's been the first thing polished off at several potlucks.

Oops, how could I forget! I usually slice an avocado and put it all around in a fan shape. I know, now I'm being a food presentation dork, but it's really nice. Really.

That looks great, thank you for posting the recipe.

wife&mommy
02-12-2012, 06:53 PM
I never know what to make! Everything we go to, the majority of the people have special diet restrictions. It seems every one of our friends either is vegetarian, vegan, or has food allergies. Like everyone, seriously. I totally understand and don't mind, but it seems everything I used to make for potlucks I can no longer make because of that, so I am on the look out for recipes that fit that!

skrink
02-12-2012, 08:36 PM
I never know what to make! Everything we go to, the majority of the people have special diet restrictions. It seems every one of our friends either is vegetarian, vegan, or has food allergies. Like everyone, seriously. I totally understand and don't mind, but it seems everything I used to make for potlucks I can no longer make because of that, so I am on the look out for recipes that fit that!

For this reason I have gradually come to love veggie or fruit trays, and a variety of dips. Boring, but safe.

MrsLOLcat
02-12-2012, 08:37 PM
I'm a big fan of pasta salads. They can easily be made with gluten-free pasta and a ton of veggies or beans tossed with a light dressing. Sometimes I'll make up some caramel dip in my tiny crockpot and bring some fruit skewers to go with it... or make a nice batch of cowboy caviar (minus the jalapeņos) and bring some crackers (rice crackers work just fine, too).

Of course, a bacon-covered cheese ball is my friends' favorite ;)

opheliag
02-12-2012, 11:20 PM
I'm a vegetarian transitioning into being a vegan, so I always bring something that I can eat. My husband is has issues with gluten, so I try to include stuff for him. For a meal, I usually fix a vegetarian chili with toppings in separate bowls. If it is just snacks, I make black bean salsa and take several types of chips or hummus and crackers. I also bring a dessert that I can eat! There are some great vegan cake recipes out there, but I usually make this chocolate one. http://veganconnection.com/recipes/crazy.htm