PDA

View Full Version : Starting Half Way Through the School Year

FLDebbie
02-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I have just pulled my son out of PS (2nd grade) and am homeschooling him. I know he has learned some this year, but he also has some gaps in some areas. My question is for those of you who have started part way through the year, do you start your curriculum in the middle, or do you go back to the beginning of the grade level? For example, I am using Singapore math. I went ahead and got 2A and 2B since there were some topics in 2A that he didn't have in school, although he can do most of the book. He loves math and in just a week is about half way through 2A. (He even said he would rather do his math than play outside Friday and he's a kid who loves to be outside.) With grammar I'm looking at Growing With Grammar and am not sure where to start him. I don't want him to get bored and hate it, but at the same time, I'm not confident his teacher actually covered the topics and don't want him to miss important topics. Our thought now is for him to return to PS next year when he can get in a different class, so I need to make sure that by the end of summer he has learned everything he needs to go to third grade.

Taimy
02-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but did you took him out from school to do homeschooling for 1/2 year only? Why?

CatInTheSun
02-12-2012, 04:11 PM
Take a look at your state's standards for 2nd grade and see if you can get a scope & sequence from your school. Start there and focus on the 3Rs (math, writing, and reading). You just teach them where they are and what they need (kinda the point of hs) and don't worry about where you start in the book. You need to know where the school expects him to be at the start of 3rd grade. You might try to use the same curric, unless it's a really bad fit for your ds.

If you intend to put him back in ps next year, you better be working with the school district to figure out what needs to happen by then. Skills matter more than content (in other words, being able to read fluently is more important than knowing the name of the 50 states). If you establish good communication with the school maybe you can avoid him needing to go through placement testing.

I think the PP's question about why is relevant in terms of what you need to do now. If the issue was ds was falling behind and might need remediation or was being threatened with being held back because of subject X, that would get different suggestions than a kid that is removed because of bullying or an incompetent teacher, etc.

dbmamaz
02-12-2012, 05:34 PM
also i dont know the florida homeschol requirements - i would focus on meeting your homeschooling requirements, keeping up his math skills (singapore runs ahead of american schools, usually, so just go a pace thats comfortable for him), working on his writing, i agree w checking w the school or the school or state standards (which should be on line) and follow his interests. And dont be surprised if its SO much more fun than school that you decide not to send him back.

FLDebbie
02-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the replies. I pulled him from PS for a number of reasons, but the main one is that he has some learning difficulties which he is able to overcome, but his class had four students who were consistently trouble makers and a teacher who is just putting in her days until she retires. The class is out of control and it was not good for my son. The principal wouldn't move him because all classes are at or over the state size limit and it would mean additional fines for the school to make another class over limit.

I do have the 2nd grade requirements and am making sure we meet those, but with his learning difficulties, I want him slightly ahead of grade level so that next year he will end up at grade level. Right now the plan is to send him back next year, the local school really is a great school, but I have to admit that I can see myself doing this long term.

Taimy
02-13-2012, 10:55 PM
I can understand you now. My daughter had lots of trouble while she was on ps, some of them similar to the ones your son had. The schools in my area are terrible, however, we tried several Charter Schools (some people think they are better), it didn't work. Last year we tried ps in WA, which my husband and his son tried to convinced me the were much better than FL ps, it didn't work either. sign. I ended up convincing my husband (and myself) that the best for us would be homeschooling and that is what we are doing now. I wish you the best for you guys and I hope you can figure it out what is the best for your son.

About your question. I would start from the beginning but I would do as a review just to figure out what he already knows and what is he missing, and then work on the gaps you may find. After you guys had covered all the 2nd grade requirements, you could go to and try to start reviewing some material for 3rd grade. This is because you said you wanted him to be slightly ahead of grade level. I am not very experienced neither I am just try to help. Let's wait and see if someone else came up with a better solution.

FLDebbie
02-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your thoughts. Did you live in FL too?

Jeni
02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
We started at the beginning of our curriculum when we switched mid year last year. We did end up having to stop near the end so we could start the next year on time. But it's doable either way.

Gabriela
02-14-2012, 04:07 PM
Just start at the beginning and skip all the boring, repetitive stuff.
We started a third of the way into the year last year, and still managed to do all the grade stuff and much more.
Remember that you go much faster when you're homeschooling.

Taimy
02-16-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. Did you live in FL too?

I live in FL now too. I just spent 8 months in WA.

tjsabhaille
07-22-2012, 11:25 PM
I pulled my oldest son out of PS after the first marking period, so I just started from the beginning of the year. When I pulled my youngest out half way through the year I had looked over science, LA and history assignments that he had previously brought home and tried to continue from there. But with math, which was his weakest subject, I started him from the very beginning and moved through some basics to assess his skills, strengths and weaknesses. What he was comfortable with, we moved quickly, and in areas where there seemed to be a weakness we took our time and covered it until he was more confident and proud of himself, then we were able to build on those skills.