PDA

View Full Version : Allergen free baking cookbook

Accidental Homeschooler
02-11-2012, 05:39 PM
We have been trying recipes out of "The Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook, How to Bake without Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Eggs, Soy, Peanuts, Tree nuts, and Sesame". We have tried snickerdoodles, pumpkin bread, chocolate chip cookies and chocolate cupcakes and they were all really good. The book also has bread and biscuit recipes. The author is Cybele Pascal.

dbmamaz
02-11-2012, 05:56 PM
i ended up using a gluten free cookbook and a lot of websites to figure out how to sub out things, but we're using eggs in baked goods again.

Of course, now my daughter has gone off soy - i tell you, no dairy, no soy, no canola (it bothers my stomach) . . . . really hard to deal with. I am getting tired of making EVERYTHING with coconut oil, and the only milk we seem to all be ok with is hemp. I'm only using it for cooking - dh and Raven use silk soy milk (or similar), i use unsweetened organic soy milk (i forget the brand) because sometimes silk bothers me (choking up, not stomach), and Heron and Orion use almond milk - but that often makes my mouth feel funny. Since my immune system is so nuts, i try hard to avoid anything that bothers me at ALL.

baking without eggs, I mostly counted on flax, but learned that if you used several different egg subs, it worked best. I cant use the boxed egg sub (i think it has tapioca in it?) but i made my own version, and flax seed was much better for us.

skrink
02-11-2012, 06:29 PM
Love this book! Try the scones. And the Swedish cardamom cookies. And the classic yellow cake. :) I didn't have luck with the choc. chip cookies - they seemed *really* greasy and they ran flat. I'd be willing to try again, though.

I guess I'm baking tomorrow!

Accidental Homeschooler
02-11-2012, 06:31 PM
The recipes we tried that used milk called for rice milk. The author uses egg replacer instead of eggs, but we used eggs. It isn't a book for healthy meals but so far really good for treats.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-11-2012, 06:33 PM
Love this book! Try the scones. And the Swedish cardamom cookies. And the classic yellow cake. :) I didn't have luck with the choc. chip cookies - they seemed *really* greasy and they ran flat. I'd be willing to try again, though.

I guess I'm baking tomorrow!

I am really interested in the cinnamon rolls. Have your tried those?

skrink
02-12-2012, 12:06 PM
I keep thinking about the cinnamon rolls (the photos make everything look so good!), but I haven't given them a go yet. If you try them let me know how they work out for you.

dbmamaz
02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
I tried a cinnamon roll recipe i found on line, twice. Not sure if it was based on that one or not. The first time, it came out fairly well - i thought they were too dense, but the guys fought over them. The second time, awful - i threw it all away, with everyone's approval. very strange. but gluten free baking is challenging like that.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-12-2012, 06:17 PM
I went to the GFCF support group on Friday. There was a couple there talking about how the diet affected their dd. The way they described her they could have been talking about my dd6, anxiety, panic, not being able to calm down, tantrums. The only thing is that their dd had GI problems also and I don't really see that with dd6 except for a lot of gas, not pain though. They also said when they first started it was 6 weeks on a roller coaster, things got worse before they got better so Thursday starts our gluten free life. I think I am going to give the cinnamon rolls a try for our first day. We have slowly been finding substitutes for gluten but not eliminated it completely. I am wondering it that is part of the reason we are having so much regression. She might as well be in school for how unhappy she has been at home the last couple weeks.

skrink
02-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I'm sorry it's been rough. I hope the transition to gf will make a difference for you. For us, I'm not sure how much diet has been a part of dd's behavior issues. We've stuck with the gfcf routine, though, because of food allergies (mine). I know when I'm eating well I feel tons better, both physically and emotionally, so I have to figure that it can't be anything but good for her in the long run. Good luck.

And Cara, yes, gf baking can be very challenging. Unless something is truly awful the first time out, I give most recipes a few tries before I judge. I miss the ease (and much shorter ingredient lists!) of regular baking.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-12-2012, 06:56 PM
So far I have been lucky in that dd14 has been doing the baking. She loves to bake. The challenges of GFCF baking have been making it an interesting challenge. But I am going to tackle the cinnamon rolls on Thursday. I keep going back and forth on dd6's behavior regression. It does make me wonder if we are not on to something with the diet change, as why would she be seeming to be having withdrawal if she weren't sensitive in the first place. Anyway, that is what I am clinging to at this point.

dbmamaz
02-12-2012, 07:33 PM
a lot of ppl wont see improvement unless you eliminate ALL gluten. I have instant reactions to it even airborne, stomach and emotional, and Orion has the runs from it, and Raven gets the runs from dairy and I get headaches from dairy. so we are very, very careful. I mean, really, my gluten reactions include stomach problems, runs, yeast infections, depression and anxiety, fatigue, and body aches. I dont mess around. at all.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Yes, that is pretty much what they told me, eliminate all gluten and it can take six months to get the full benefit. I had intended to do the gluten at the end of the month but we are just going to go ahead this week. I am going to clean it out of the kitchen first and give away all the gluten containing food. Our neighbor was happy to take the cheese and butter, now he will be getting more. I am hoping to get some benefits from eliminating it for myself too. I did a the paleo diet for 6 weeks, just me not the rest of the family, and felt great. It was just hard to stay on it when we were not all on it and I was surrounded by food I love.

dbmamaz
02-12-2012, 08:28 PM
today's dinner was turkey hot dogs wrapped w turkey bacon, and french fries that i fried myself (which is a multi-hour production). it was a treat!

skrink
02-12-2012, 08:29 PM
It's really, really hard to make such big changes if the whole family isn't on board. My dh brings all kinds of stuff into the house and it drives me crazy. However, when I slip I pay for it so I work hard to stay on track. One nice benefit - since I've made the switch I've finally lost all of the pregnancy pounds (dd is 10...). :) I use all of the positives to keep myself moving forward.

Do you keep a food journal? It's work and can be a pain but I found it pretty helpful when we were starting out. Sometimes you can directly pinpoint that food --> behavior reaction and it makes it feel very much worthwhile. Usually, though, it's more subtle and by looking back over a few weeks or months you can see trends.

skrink
02-12-2012, 08:34 PM
today's dinner was turkey hot dogs wrapped w turkey bacon, and french fries that i fried myself (which is a multi-hour production). it was a treat!

Yum! I can't imagine the doing the homemade french fries, but I bet they were awesome! :) I do love me some fries. And oven roasted potatoes: http://greek.food.com/recipe/greek-potatoes-oven-roasted-and-delicious-87782 I cut back on the oregano, but otherwise? They kick a$$.

Accidental Homeschooler
02-12-2012, 08:57 PM
A food diary sounds like a very wise idea. Dh knows he is free to eat whatever he wants outside the house but he can't bring it here. Hopefully he will stick to it. Does bacon have gluten? Please tell me it doesn't!!!!!!!!

I do have a good recipe for oven fries. You soak them in vinegar water, two tablespoons in a bowl of water for 30 minutes before you bake them, then dry them off well and toss with warm oil and melted butter (or in our house, fake butter) then sprinkle with coarse salt and bake at 400, turning them after about 20 minutes. They are really, really good, though probably can't beat fried fries.

dbmamaz
02-12-2012, 09:01 PM
Bacon is safe!!! But you should always check labels. For my youngest, food dyes and artificial preservatives do a huge number on his mood. and some kids are sensitive to dairy AND soy, making it hard to judge if dairy was a problem or not - if you sub everything with soy

Accidental Homeschooler
02-13-2012, 06:26 AM
Yes, I have been wondering about the soy. We basically replaced dairy with soy and when we got those great calm days and it really seemed like taking out the dairy was helping and then downward spiral, well, I thought the HUGE increase in soy might be having the negative effect. I really, really, really wish there was a good reliable test for food sensitivities. It would make it so much easier. I like Beelers bacon, no preservatives, but I suppose turkey bacon is healthier on many levels.

dbmamaz
02-13-2012, 08:16 AM
Well, I reacted to pork on the tests I took. My first few months the only protien I had was soy, turkey and lamb.

I did the Alcat test - they have a website, but it took me years to work through all the false positives. I also went to an allergist . . . .where I reacted to 90% of the foods he tested me for. The allergist was covered by insurance but that Alcat was not. The Alcat is supposed to be a sensitivity test. I think for me the gluten was the biggest factor, making me overreact to everything else.