PDA

View Full Version : Article: Today's College Students Lack Empathy

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 01:56 PM
The article is here (http://www.livescience.com/culture/empathy-college-students-generation-me-100528.html).

I'm assuming the vast majority of the college students in the study went to public school, with all its magical "socialization" and "standardization of the individual for the greater good" powers... If that were the case, shouldn't all those college kids be paragons of virtues? :confused:

belacqua
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Very interesting article.

Particularly intriguing was the idea that social media makes it easy to ignore other people unless you're in the mood to deal with them. I really wonder what the long-term effects of social media will be.

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 05:45 PM
Hhmmm? were you saying something, belacqua? lol. I agree, I think that texting situations have proven that people just don't afford the courtesy that they used to anymore... kids getting dumped by their BF, GF, BFFs via texts, comments left on people's walls, online bullying... The perceived anonymity or distance is intoxicating, I guess. I admit that I like emailing and online posts better than IRL interactions or phone calls. Those just drain me. But I can be online all day... What's weird is that I think I have more empathy online than IRL.

Riceball_Mommy
05-28-2010, 06:00 PM
Interesting, I still think though that despite the self centered focus, too many people are more likely to blame someone else for their problem. I see far to many people with a sense of entitlement, and no responsibility for themselves.
As with social media, any troll will prove that some people out there just tend to forget that there is a person on behind all the text on the screen.
To be fair though, social media isn't all bad, with my anxiety I find it much easier to be social online, than on the phone or in person. I can think out what I'm trying to say before I say it which gives me a little more confidence in saying something.

Shoe
05-29-2010, 02:00 AM
Interesting article Nathalie. Thanks.

reversemigration
05-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks, Nathalie, that was an interesting article. I'd be careful about drawing too much from it, though, as the findings seem to be mixed. Even science journalists are quick to headline the sensational while burying the less black and white aspects deeper in the article. I also tend to be more skeptical of meta-analysis studies - ones which are done by sifting through a number of other studies to compare results, rather than through primary research. That being said, if it's true it's a disturbing trend.

Snoopy
05-31-2010, 12:03 PM
Interesting, I still think though that despite the self centered focus, too many people are more likely to blame someone else for their problem. I see far to many people with a sense of entitlement, and no responsibility for themselves.
As with social media, any troll will prove that some people out there just tend to forget that there is a person on behind all the text on the screen.
To be fair though, social media isn't all bad, with my anxiety I find it much easier to be social online, than on the phone or in person. I can think out what I'm trying to say before I say it which gives me a little more confidence in saying something.

I agree with you 100%. I would say that in my case, social media has been good (can connect with other people in other parts of the world/country easily) and bad (encourages my asocial tendencies to the point of refusing to even take phone calls nowadays. I can't talk to you via email, then I don't want to talk to you.). But, as I said, I think it made me MORE empathic than less. I think that, to link this with a comment Angela made about awards being given equally regardless of behaviors because the teachers want the kids to WANT the "positive" attention, kids nowadays are given too much positive attention i.e. there are many cases when maybe they don't need to be rewarded and recognized simply because they did what they were supposed to do? I think this fosters a self-centered and entitlement mentality that is damaging.

Snoopy
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
Thanks, Nathalie, that was an interesting article. I'd be careful about drawing too much from it, though, as the findings seem to be mixed. Even science journalists are quick to headline the sensational while burying the less black and white aspects deeper in the article. I also tend to be more skeptical of meta-analysis studies - ones which are done by sifting through a number of other studies to compare results, rather than through primary research. That being said, if it's true it's a disturbing trend. Agreed. I usually don't believe in surveys because I myself lie on surveys :)