PDA

View Full Version : How do we put the little Skype icon in our profile?

Snoopy
05-27-2010, 11:18 PM
OK, I just saw a post by Paganmomblog and I noticed that she has a little Skype icon under her avatar. How do I get that on mine? I checked My Profile and didn't see an option for that... Does the icon show your Skype status? Or is it just a shortcut to send you a message via Skype?

Topsy
05-28-2010, 08:37 AM
So I'm testing this out, Snoopy...let me see...

Okay...so here's how it works...you would go into your Settings -> Edit Profile. Then, scroll down to the instant messaging section, and type in your Skype username. Then save your changes. This will make the Skype icon appear on all your posts (same goes for ICQ, MSN, AIM, Yahoo).

Then, when someone clicks on your icon, they will see this:

And, of course, if you are already logged into Skype, you will be notified of their contact. Might be a good chat option for the site, if people were willing to sign up with it. Cool, huh?? :cool:

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Thanks Topsy :) I guess you're gone on vacation now so Michelle, if you don't know the answer to this, it's not an emergency, I can wait until Topsy's back :)

I now have the Skype icon on my sidebar as well, hooray! The only problem I seem to have now is if I click on it (as if to send a message to myself), it tells me I need to install Skype... which I already have and I'm even logged on as we speak.

I tried clicking on paganmombog's Skype icon and with her I get the message: Sorry, this user has chosen a privacy option that prevents you from viewing this information. I was thinking that it was smart of her to have done that since anyone can read this forum anyway and I don't want strangers contacting me. So I went into "Profile Privacy Settings" and changed the permission for Contact Information to "My Friends Only" (heyyyyyyyy, NOW I understand that whole "friend" thing, I'd been wondering about the usefulness of that! Can you tell I'm not into social networking? lol). But I'm not sure what exactly that blocks anyone from doing.

So can anyone who is NOT my "friend" try to send me a PM to see if I can still get those? And if you have Skype on your computer, and you click on my Skype icon, what result do you get? TIA!

BPier12
05-28-2010, 10:35 AM
So can anyone who is NOT my "friend" try to send me a PM to see if I can still get those? And if you have Skype on your computer, and you click on my Skype icon, what result do you get? TIA!

I have Skype and when I clicked on your Skype icon I got the same box that Topsy showed in her post above. I'll try sending you a message through Skype and see if it works!

BPier12
05-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Hmm, ok, well when I clicked on "Send message to Snoopy via Skye" it took me to your secular homeschooling profile visitor's page where I could leave a message. I did not. When I clicked on all the other options in the skype box, ex., start Skype chat, another box popped up telling me that to use that feature I need Skype on my computer. Which I already do...so I'm not sure where that leaves us.

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 10:41 AM
OK, thanks, let me know when you've sent it, I'm new to Skype so I'm not even sure where I would look to see it? I wonder if the problem comes from the fact that I installed the Skype program on my slave drive instead of the main drive? Maybe the SHS software looks for the application on the main drive for it to work... I have to power up my laptop to see if I get a different result there...

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 10:46 AM
Hi Girls~ I will see what I can do from my end;) I will get back to you when I know something.

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 12:14 PM
I have to power up my laptop to see if I get a different result there... Nope, I get the same results on my laptop. I tried clicking on David (Camaro)'s Skype icon from his sidebar and I got the same message about needing to download Skype (which is on my laptop and I'm signed on right now). Beth (she's on my list of "friends") tried to contact me via my Skype icon and it put her message under my "Visitor Messages" on my Profile instead of my Skipe "inbox" so that's not really cool because that's not private at all! I'm going to disable the Skype icon for now until you get some answers, Michelle. Thanks for looking into it, but again, not an emergency so don't worry if you can't get to it :)

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Hey Snoopy try and skype me! I found out that you cant skype yourself so try doing it with me

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I tried and I get the same message telling me that I need to install Skype! Arrgh. I did send you a message on Skype from the Skype directory.

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 01:14 PM
Ok silly me you aren't on here right now! I just tried to skype you but I am not seeing that icon under your user name. I do know that you can't skype yourself;) (tried it) Don't understand why it is saying that you have to install if you already did that? but I did have the first attempt not install correctly so I had to install it again and it went thru. Then I updated my user name for skype into the settings here on SH, but then I closed it down and reopened it . It seems to be working but i don't have anyone else to skype right now. I have also forwarded this to the" powers that be" so see if it something that they know!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 01:15 PM
ok maybe you are on here, its not finding you on the skype! whats your user name? I will try it on this end

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 01:52 PM
I emailed Skype support to ask for help since both you and I are left scratching our heads! Thanks for trying to help, Michelle! Must be some setting on my Skype account or on my PCs.

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 03:26 PM
Well let me know what they say so I can be smart too;)

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 05:29 PM
David (Camaro) said he would download it on his PC too to see if he can figure it out from that end...

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 06:47 PM
Thanks David!

camaro
05-28-2010, 09:56 PM
I've studied the window SHS puts up when I click on a Skype icon under a users name and thought about it a little. I think it's working as intended, as the bottom options all send one to the Skype app. I think the top wording, about sending a "message to <user>" may be misleading, as it might be just something of a suggestion, intending you to use the bottom options. I haven't found a way to send just a "message" on Skype anyway so "message" might be the wrong word to use for a Skype contact. Right-clicking a contact in Skype itself brings up the same options as the SHS window. The user's name as a link to their SHS profile might be just a convenient (albeit confusing possibly in this case) add-on.

So that's my insight for now. I'd still like to figure out why the little icon won't show if someone is online or not, but that might be beyond my skills and more for the SHS coder to look at.

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Let me see if I get this straight: So when you click on the Skype Button (that's what it's called, btw, I learned THAT today!) under a user's photo, you get a screen that shows "Send Message Via Skype™ to (name of member) but if you click on the name of the member (since it's a link), you get their SHS profile visitor messages window, right? That's what I get too. That must have been what Beth did when she tried to send me a message because it shows on my Visitor Comments under my SHS profile.

For the bottom options, it says that these (bottom) functions require Skype to be installed. The one I have been trying to use is the "Start Skype text chat" option. When I click on that, it takes me to a screen about Skype buttons that states "Skype buttons require that you have the latest version of Skype installed. (Don’t worry, you only need to do this once.) and then has a link to download Skype."

This is where the problem is because I already have Skype. Clicking on the download button takes me to the download screen for Skype 4.2 for Windows, which is what I do have on my PCs.

Here are the changes I made while Michelle and I were trying to figure it out:
1) I added her to my Skype contacts
2) I added her to my SHS contacts
3) I changed my Skype name in my SHS Profile so it is all lower caps instead of having capitalized first initials. When I looked myself up in the Skype directory, my Skype name was all lower caps (but when I had originally set up my Skype button in SHS, I had set it up with capitalized first initials)
4) For what it's worth, my Skype privacy settings are set to receive IMs only from people in My Contact List.

After making all of those changes, suddenly she was able to send me a message directly into my Skype application from my SHS Skype button.

Michelle, did you click on the "Start Skype text chat" option to send me that message that finally went through?

Now for the bad news: it still doesn't work on my side even though both you, David and Michelle, are in my Skype and SHS contacts. Can you check if your Skype names were typed in all lower caps in your SHS profiles? That's the way they show in the Skype directory as well...

You know, it's going to end up being something so obvious that I'm going to wonder why I didn't even think of it... I just know it!

camaro
05-29-2010, 12:43 AM
That's so wierd, Nathalie. I wish I could be more help but it's working fine for me and I've tried it in XP with Firefox 3.6 and crusty old IE6 and all the buttons forwarded to the Skype app. I'm suspecting it's a browser issue, with it not checking that the app is installed and instantly forwarding you to the install page. Is this happening in other browsers? Could you try it in something else and report? You could also check in the Options-Applications (or whatever it's called in your browser preferences) to see if the "content type" "skype" is set to the "action" "Use Skype" (again whatever your browser might use for terminology, this came from FF).

My Skype username is all lower-case BTW.

We'll get it fixed eventually...:)

paganmomblog
05-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Can I just say I am confused just reading this thread and I am a social media nut lol! Sorry, wish I had some insight on what is going on but I don't honestly use Skype that often, mostly just for family and a couple of long distance friends. I will change my privacy settings though so that anyone here at SH can chat with me!

Topsy
06-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Can I just say I'm REALLY happy I wasn't here for most of this thread??!! ;) I'm thinking of giving Michelle a raise right this minute!! ;)

Snoopy
06-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Can I just say I'm REALLY happy I wasn't here for most of this thread??!! ;) I'm thinking of giving Michelle a raise right this minute!! ;) You're back!!! How was your trip? I meant to send you a PM letting you know what a FABULOUS job Michelle did for you (well, for us!) while you gone but you came back before I could. I think that from now on, you should feel fine about taking time off, we were in really good hands. (thanks, Michelle!)

pandahoneybee
06-05-2010, 12:04 PM
You're back!!! How was your trip? I meant to send you a PM letting you know what a FABULOUS job Michelle did for you (well, for us!) while you gone but you came back before I could. I think that from now on, you should feel fine about taking time off, we were in really good hands. (thanks, Michelle!)

thanks Nathalie for saying such nice things about me;) (your check is in the mail wink wink)

Topsy
06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Yes, I'm back and VERY relaxed thanks to knowing everything was being WELL taken care of in my absence. BIG Kudos to Michelle for the incredible job she has been doing around here!! I'm already planning my next vacay!! ;)

NYC was incredible. I hope to write a site blog post about it in the next day or two so stay tuned...

Topsy