PDA

View Full Version : Bored with breakfast.

lakshmi
02-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Any hot breakfast ideas other than oatmeal or eggs?

Both are getting a little old, and I have no ideas....

MrsLOLcat
02-08-2012, 03:10 PM
Are you wanting to avoid eggs altogether or just vary the presentation?

I like toasted Van's waffles (or make your own and freeze them) and sometimes make egg muffins because they're nice and easy to reheat as well. Toast and jam (or cinnamon toast) happen sometimes, and I love coffee cake, too... and I'm not above buying the occasional box of Pop-Tarts, either.

skrink
02-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Can't do eggs, oats, or dairy here, and breakfast gets awfully repetitive. Cream of brown rice cereal, anyone? Some yummy Crunchy Flax cereal? I like the gf Van's waffles, too, spread with a little almond butter and jelly. I sometimes make nut based granola to have on hand. I had been on a scones kick for a while, when I was baking more. But yeah, I've been kinda done with breakfast myself. I'm having trouble converting to non-breakfast foods first thing in the a.m. though I think that's where I'm gonna end up.

FLDebbie
02-08-2012, 03:38 PM
It's funny - I was thinking the same thing this morning, but you're items are different than what we normally have. So, it will be oatmeal and eggs for a little while for us. We've been eating ceral, grits, pancakes, muffins, and the occasional waffles. This morning I had toast with strawberry preserves just for a change.

Crabby Lioness
02-08-2012, 03:47 PM
I usually make up a quick fruit bread in muffin tins over the weekend to eat through the week. It varies according to what kind of fruit is on hand: bananas, apples, pumpkin, cranberries, apricots..... Sometimes I'll make cheese rolls or sweet rolls instead.

For variety, we have eggs, toast, french toast, waffles, pancakes, popovers, grits, cream of wheat and hash browns.

ginnyjf
02-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Yogurt parfaits layered with fruit and cereal are good. Or we'll slice up an apple and mix peanut butter and honey to dip the slices in. Smoothies make a nice quick breakfast and you can use almost anything in them...we like PBJ smoothies or strawberry-orange. Sometimes I'll make up a batch of almond pudding which is a good source of protein, magnesium and calcium and we'll have it with muffins. Breakfast crepes really don't take too much time and you can fill with either sweet or savory ingredients depending on your mood. Fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips is another favorite. We also love non-alcoholic Bananas Foster over waffles with ice cream. I love breakfast but I have the dangdest time coming up with dinner ideas.

dbmamaz
02-08-2012, 04:32 PM
I've actually gotten more in to meat for breakfast, esp since we have martial arts 3 days a week, at 10 or 12 depending on the day. I have been making my own turkey breakfast sausage, which the kids LOVE - often just on toast, although I put some water in the pan afterwards, and cook up some sausage crumbles with that water and some grits - i LOVE that! I sometimes mix corn grits and buckwheat cereal.

We also like turkey bacon, and recently i've been making biscuit, bacon, and egg or cheese sandwiches sometimes on weekend. Today the boys just had bacon on toast.

For me, my regular breakfast is cold cereal (corn flakes and corn chex) with raw sunflower seeds, pecan bits, dried papaya, sometimes some diced banana, a little brown sugar, and vanilla soy milk. I rarely tire of it. Raven's normal breakfast these days is either pb and honey on a gf bagel, or pb and banana on a rice cake. Orion eats cereal w pnuts on it.

Treats on weekends include pancakes, waffles, crepes (usually w fruit or fruit sauce - i usually add some nuts or nutbutter), home made coffee cake (with nuts of course!) or muffins - banana or squash or apple are most common.

and yes, everything is gluten free, dairy free, home made from scratch. Well, except of course the rice cakes and bagels arent homemade. Or the pb!

KristinK
02-08-2012, 05:50 PM
whole wheat berries cook up to a nice hot breakfast, especially with raisins and stuff cooked with it. reminds me that I haven't done that in a while...

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
02-08-2012, 06:03 PM
"Not Your Mother's Slowcooker Cookbook" has a whole chapter of hot cereals and porridges that cook overnight. The only person in the house who eats oatmeal is my son, though, so I haven't tried them. The kids like whole wheat toast or frozen waffles and fruit most mornings. Sometimes I make muffins, scones, pancakes, or crepes on the weekends.

This thread has made my craving for french toast (with lots of cinnamon, powdered sugar, and real maple syrup) even stronger. I love breakfast foods.

Batgirl
02-08-2012, 06:06 PM
Rice, chocolate, or tapioca pudding? Cinnamon toast? Baked apples?

skrink
02-08-2012, 06:32 PM
Oooh, rice pudding! Just found this: http://dairy-free.food.com/recipe/dairy-free-coconut-rice-pudding-59902. I see it in my near future. :) Gonna have to

And I forgot about smoothies. I make mine with coconut or almond milk yogurt, fruit, and brown rice protein powder.

dbmamaz
02-08-2012, 07:23 PM
i used to make a microwave rice pudding for the big kids, but i think they got tired of it. They also used to love hot cereal w pb and brown sugar and butter and cinnamon.

wife&mommy
02-08-2012, 09:04 PM
We have a rotation of these things. My husband usually makes breakfast so it is homemade and fresh (I don't normally eat it actually, he makes it for the kids).
- French Toast
- Pancakes
- Waffles
- Scrambled Eggs & Cheese
- Omelets
- Egg Sandwich
- "Dippy Eggs" (what the kids call them)
- Yogurt
- Cheese Grits
- Muffins
- Oatmeal with fruit

They always have some sort of fruit with those things, and a lot of times either sausage, hashbrowns or some sort of bread as well. Every once in a while we will do something not homemade like bagels with peanut butter or something of that sort. Usually that is when I am doing breakfast. LOL I am not a morning person!

Ellie's mom
02-08-2012, 10:27 PM
Beans on toast.

Breakfast burrito: scrambled tofu beans potato peppers and salsa

leftover pizza

Penguin
02-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Wow you guys have some fancy breakfasts!! Fabulous ideas, if we weren't both so grumpy in the mornings.

I sip coffee and eat buttery toast and growl at the kids. They eat yogurt or cottage cheese and toast. Occasionally we'll have oatmeal. On Sundays I've been making a Dutch or German pancake which is super easy and they like that. It's mostly eggs though.

lakshmi
02-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Yogurt parfaits layered with fruit and cereal are good. Or we'll slice up an apple and mix peanut butter and honey to dip the slices in. Smoothies make a nice quick breakfast and you can use almost anything in them...we like PBJ smoothies or strawberry-orange. Sometimes I'll make up a batch of almond pudding which is a good source of protein, magnesium and calcium and we'll have it with muffins. Breakfast crepes really don't take too much time and you can fill with either sweet or savory ingredients depending on your mood. Fruit salsa with cinnamon tortilla chips is another favorite. We also love non-alcoholic Bananas Foster over waffles with ice cream. I love breakfast but I have the dangdest time coming up with dinner ideas.

Ginny: Fruit: Yogurt: Cereal:: Yogurt etc, like that in a glass? What kind of cereal? I suppose I could make granola.
Crepes is a good idea.

What is almond pudding? And how do you make it?

I've actually gotten more in to meat for breakfast, esp since we have martial arts 3 days a week, at 10 or 12 depending on the day. I have been making my own turkey breakfast sausage, which the kids LOVE - often just on toast, although I put some water in the pan afterwards, and cook up some sausage crumbles with that water and some grits - i LOVE that! I sometimes mix corn grits and buckwheat cereal.

Do you mean taking ground turkey and making sausage? Corn Grits and buckwheat cereal sounds interesting, I assume it is hot? Tell me more about that. Do you make a gravy with the sausage?

We also like turkey bacon, and recently i've been making biscuit, bacon, and egg or cheese sandwiches sometimes on weekend. Today the boys just had bacon on toast.

Do you make the biscuits in the morning? Right now I can still use gluten so the recipe ought to be easy to find.And do you buy the bread or make it?

For me, my regular breakfast is cold cereal (corn flakes and corn chex) with raw sunflower seeds, pecan bits, dried papaya, sometimes some diced banana, a little brown sugar, and vanilla soy milk. I rarely tire of it. Raven's normal breakfast these days is either pb and honey on a gf bagel, or pb and banana on a rice cake. Orion eats cereal w pnuts on it.

Treats on weekends include pancakes, waffles, crepes (usually w fruit or fruit sauce - i usually add some nuts or nutbutter), home made coffee cake (with nuts of course!) or muffins - banana or squash or apple are most common.

for the crepes you put the nutbutters into it? Do you thin them out a bit or just a big plop

and yes, everything is gluten free, dairy free, home made from scratch. Well, except of course the rice cakes and bagels arent homemade. Or the pb!

whole wheat berries cook up to a nice hot breakfast, especially with raisins and stuff cooked with it. reminds me that I haven't done that in a while...

Wheat berries? The same ones used to make wheatgrass? I may even have some of those.

Thanks everyone...

We'll be having oatmeal tomorrow.

I have to say, I am really surprised by the amount of pancakes and waffle recommendations. We have pancakes on half-birthdays only. So I think of it more as a treat than something for regular breakfast. Probably not a good time to change that routine. I am looking forward to May 9!

Okay, I forgot to tag one of the responses... and now I am not going to find it.

Muffin people.... do you make them ahead of time? And smoothies.. i forgot about smoothies, even though that isn't hot, it might be a nice change a couple days a week to add to it. And I am sure the girls won't mind. I hadn't thought of coconut milk.

Okay...time to compile a notebook with all these ideas because I will forget them when I am planning and shopping..... And time to learn how to make biscuits... because those breakfast biscuits sounded way too good.

Thanks for the rice pudding link... I printed it out... maybe instead of a notebook, I'll go off road and use a recipe box.... how old school of me. Soon I'll be wearing all my vintage aprons and cat eye glasses... (my glassess broke this weekend.)

dragonfly
02-09-2012, 02:34 AM
I can't stand anything sweet for breakfast. Mostly the only things I can tolerate are toast, potatoes, eggs, and bacon.

When I'm feeling like my arteries need some hardening, I'll make Rvisti (that's what we call it, found the recipe in some book that I can't remember now)--which is fried egg on Rosti (Basically shredded potatoes fried in a pan. It's Swiss, and there should be an umlaut over the o, but I don't know how to do that on my keyboard) with cheddar cheese on top. Yummy with ketchup!

hockeymom
02-09-2012, 08:25 AM
My biggest meal of the day is breakfast, and it has to have lots of protein in it to keep me full. We usually eat 2 breakfasts, one "light" like toast around 7 and then a bigger meal around 9. I hear ya about the boredom!

Oatmeal, quinoa, smoothies (can't do smoothies at all--I get out of whack with all the sugars) and other traditional breakfast foods just don't cut it for me, and I end up hungry the rest of the day. My favorite breakfast is actually dinner leftovers. :)

On the weekends pancakes or waffles are the norm. My little hockey player needs a lot of fueling up!

dbmamaz
02-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Do you mean taking ground turkey and making sausage? Corn Grits and buckwheat cereal sounds interesting, I assume it is hot? Tell me more about that. Do you make a gravy with the sausage?
Yes, i use ground turkey - i used to buy turkey sausage in rolls but the store stopped carrying the brand we liked, and now we like this recipe better than anything. Its too spicy to eat without bread, but both boys love it - the first time i made it i thought it was too hot and was shocked that they ate it, so i made the next batch more mild, and they didnt like it as much.

For some reason I cant find it - i swear it was from allrecipes, but its so simple:
mix 1 lb ground turkey, 1 TB maple syrup, 3/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp dried sage, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp oil. Let it sit in the fridge overnight for the flavors to blend and cook in non-stick spray in patties. I often make the patties rectangular so they fit on a half piece of toast!

Yes, corn grits and buckwheat cereal are hot, like cream of wheat. I only make sausage gravy on special occasions - thats more work and Orion will gorge on it (he is overweight due to meds, so I try to minimize things that he overeats)

Do you make the biscuits in the morning? Right now I can still use gluten so the recipe ought to be easy to find.And do you buy the bread or make it?
I usually do biscuits in the morning on the weekend, but i did it on a weekday once. Its really pretty fast. I actually make my 'buttermilk' the day before so its premeasured in the fridge, and i freeze the shortening/margerine the night before, so thats premeasured, so i just have to mix the flour and bp and stuff, cut in the shortening, stir in the milk - i've been shaping them by hand instead of rolling and cutting, because the gluten free stuff is too hard otherwise. You could even try bisquick - its not the same, but its quick and easy. Biscuits cook in 10 minutes. We make our bread mostly, because its hard to find gluten free bread that tastes very good.

for the crepes you put the nutbutters into it? Do you thin them out a bit or just a big plop
Oh, i just put nutbutters on the crepe when i eat it - spread some nutbutter, roll it up, cover w syrup, eat w a fork.

muffins, btw, take longer to bake - 20 to 25 minutes. I have the advantage of a teen who gets up early - I can run downstairs, mix up the muffins and put them in the oven, then go up to shower leaving Orion in charge. He'll test them with a toothpick and take them out.

I made chili and corn muffins for dinner the other night, and remembered another favorite breakfast - no protein for the kids, tho - cut the corn muffins in half and either cook on a griddle in margarine, face down, and then drizzle with honey, or top w margarine and honey and put under the broiler - the boys just love these! even if the muffins are stale!

MrsLOLcat
02-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Wow you guys have some fancy breakfasts!! Fabulous ideas, if we weren't both so grumpy in the mornings.

I'm glad there's someone else who was thinking this. I was starting to feel all alone. I love all the ideas, but I'm never awake enough to execute them. If it can't be microwaved, toasted, or made the night before, it doesn't happen here... unless it's the weekend, and then it usually turns into brunch.

ginnyjf
02-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Ginny: Fruit: Yogurt: Cereal:: Yogurt etc, like that in a glass? What kind of cereal? I suppose I could make granola.
Crepes is a good idea.

What is almond pudding? And how do you make it?

Yep, that's how we make our parfaits. They look fancy in a big glass and they're easy enough to throw together when I'm half asleep. Zack's favorite is vanilla yogurt, strawberries and crushed graham crackers.

I make almond pudding on the weekend, usually a double batch, and it keeps all week. I also make a double batch of some kind of muffin, sweet or savory, on the weekends when I have more time/energy.

Almond Pudding
1 cup water
1/2 cup slivered almonds (no salt or you'll have some blecchy salty pudding)
2 cups of milk, divided
1/2 cup dry milk powder
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp cornstarch
1/4 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Boil water and almonds together for 1 minute. Drain water and place almonds in blender or food processor with 1 cup of milk. Blend for 3 minutes. Pour mixture into saucepan; add 1 cup of milk, milk powder and sugar. Simmer for 2 minutes stirring constantly, being careful to not let it boil over. Mix cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water in a separate bowl and add to the pudding. Cook over low heat 3 minutes or until thick. Allow to cool and add vanilla. Refrigerate before serving.

(Taken from a great book "Healthy Food for Healthy Kids" by Bridget Swinney)

Airen
02-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Ooo... that book is at my library!! I almost checked it out, but we're going to fl this weekend. Now I'm even more excited to come home;)

I LOVE breakfast. DS can have a bowl of cereal every day of his little life and be fine. DH and I love eggs... sausage if I splurge. With the baby, we can easily go through 5 dozen in a couple weeks. We're trying to get set up to get chickens... I hear fresh are better. We might never eat red meat again!!

Dutch pancakes are the Saturday breakfast here. The only hot cereal we have is grape nuts. We don't have a microwave, so we don't have that a lot. It's easier to just cook the egg and toast...

Crabby Lioness
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Muffin people.... do you make them ahead of time?

Okay, technical note -- the recipes you see labeled in the cookbooks as "muffins" are meant to be eaten hot and fresh. They are made with with oil instead of butter and stiffen up in just a few hours, even faster than biscuits stiffen up.

What I make and serve as "muffins" are technically quick breads or baking powder breads. They are the non-yeast bread recipes that rely on baking powder to rise and typically have fruit in them: banana bread, pumpkin-oatmeal bread, lemon bread, orange bread, grated apple bread, cranberry bread, apricot bread, zucchini bread, and so on. The recipes call for them to be baked in a bread loaf pan for an hour, but my children eat them better if I cook them in muffin tins for about 15 minutes and that way I don't have to go to the trouble of slicing them. They'll keep for about a week in an airtight box. I make them up on Sunday afternoon and serve them for breakfast most of the week. They can be served at room temperature or heated up depending on personal preference. Each week I vary the recipe somewhat to keep them from getting repetative.

I am so not a morning person it's ridiculous, but these let me feed my family a cheap, healthy breakfast while still semi-comatose. ;)

Crabby Lioness
02-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Oh, I used to make my own yogurt, but my thermometer broke in the move and I'm waiting to replace it until the kitchen gets drawers (Remodeling has only been going on for 13 months now....). You can get a powder packet from Amazon and with the right equipment (an insulated cooler box, a double boiler, and a candy thermometer) just make your own indefinitely.

ginnyjf
02-09-2012, 03:28 PM
Okay, technical note -- the recipes you see labeled in the cookbooks as "muffins" are meant to be eaten hot and fresh. They are made with with oil instead of butter and stiffen up in just a few hours, even faster than biscuits stiffen up.

Ohhh, thank you for the clarification! No wonder towards the end of the week Zack likes to make a show of unwrapping a muffin and banging it on the counter. I'll have to look for some good quick bread recipes instead.

(By the way, totally off topic but I am reading your blog and enjoying it!)

lakshmi
02-09-2012, 10:51 PM
ginny whose blog?

thanks for the quick breads, good idea. I have some tiny pans, but they'd devour them pronto.

And we make yogurt on the stove and then in the oven. And they like it okay, but would prefer sweeter, flavored stuff. So need to start making some vanilla or maple flavored ones.

Okay, I have some great ideas...

And I just remembered one that we've not done for a LONG Time. goat cheese and green onion potatoes.

And just so you know, we don't get up early so I am typically not TOO comatose in the morning.

thanks cara, I am going to try the a couple of things that you mentioned. Turkey sausage sounds good. I even have a meat grinder somewhere around here. i could do it from turkey! But i don't have a turkey.. ha...

Crabby Lioness
02-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Ohhh, thank you for the clarification! No wonder towards the end of the week Zack likes to make a show of unwrapping a muffin and banging it on the counter. I'll have to look for some good quick bread recipes instead.

No problem. I wish the terms were more distinct.

(By the way, totally off topic but I am reading your blog and enjoying it!)

Thanks you, that helps a lot. :)

Crabby Lioness
02-12-2012, 06:01 PM
I found this site while looking for potluck recipes. I'm thinking of making a veggie quiche for our UU potluck, but I'm not sure about the logistics.

Top 10 Easy Breakfast Recipes (http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Holiday---Celebration-Recipes/Mother-s-Day-Recipes/Top-10-Easy-Breakfast-Recipes)