PDA

View Full Version : New here and new to homeschooling

Sarbare0704
05-27-2010, 10:13 PM
Hi I'm Sara mom to a 4 year old little girl and 7 mo old little boy. Starting this fall we are going to be officially homeschooling Lucy. Up until now we have just been interest led learning and I think she is doing amazingly! So far our only issue is she is a little sad that all of her friends are going to school next year and she doesn't know anyone else that is homeschooled. But other then that she loves to learn and I am very excited to start this journey! As the teacher I'm a bit worried about my own patience and keeping on task, but I'm sure I will learn a lot of awesome tips from this group, I already have!

pandahoneybee
05-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Welcome Sara! Have you checked out the resource (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/192-resources) page to see if any groups are in your area to join?

The patience thing can be scary (at least it was for me) but you will get it done! And at least you are starting young so you can work on keeping on task, which at 4 would be
hard to go for any amount of time;) I hope that you will let us know if you are needing anything and everyone up here is full of ideas!

Also have you thought of using an online program? there are alot of good ones out there! We use all the free ones like PBS kids (http://pbskids.org/go/), nick Jr (http://www.nickjr.com/), etc and we also use time4learning.com is a monthly fee but my boys love it because of the cartoon based lessons.

LJean
05-28-2010, 09:27 AM
Hello and welcome!

Shoe
05-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the group, Sara. I wish I had started homeschooling when my kids were that young, but better late than never. I'm sure you'll find this group helpful-I've learned a lot here.

reversemigration
05-28-2010, 10:03 AM
Welcome, Michelle!

If you're looking for more online ideas, there should be a few older threads with some good links to resources that might be of interest to you. Good luck as you start off, and I hope you'll join in the discussions!

Snoopy
05-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Welcome Michelle! I remember when Noah was 4 and I discovered that I'd been homeschooling him for 1.5 years, lol! I had no idea that was even an option. We love it! I was worried about patience too because I have none, but apart from the occasional PMS moment, it's been going pretty well. Be careful in setting your expectations and don't be too hard on yourself, you have another little one too, so it's understandable that it will take you a while to get into your groove. Check the forums for past threads, there's a lot of good stuff posted :) Good luck!

StartingOver
05-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Welcome Michelle !

I am on my second round of homeschooling, and started much earlier this time ! I see it as just an extension of parenting. We just keep on keeping on.

Riceball_Mommy
05-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello, and welcome. My daughter is 4 and we just started homeschooling this year. We actually just finished up our Pre-K curriculum and she's disappointed that there isn't more to do with it.
There are great ideas and info all over this board. If you have a question everyone's pretty helpful in providing answers and opinions.

hockeymom
05-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Welcome!

Since you already take such an active role in your daughter's life (and therefore her education), you'll do just fine. We did tons of hands on, interest led stuff too, and despite my better judgment I got suckered into sending my son to kindergarten and grade 1 instead of keeping him at home and continuing what we'd always done. Thankfully we came to our senses and brought him home before he was too indoctrined into public school, and now we're getting back on track thanks to the great wisdom of all the wonderful people on this board! I hope you love your new adventure! :)

Green Vixen
05-28-2010, 11:07 PM
Hi Sara,

Welcome to SHS!!! I am a new member too and have really enjoyed reading through the old posts. I have a son who will be 4 in October but we aren't starting anything official yet, I also have 20 month old boy/girl twins. Do you know what curriculum or books you are going to use? I am still deciding and reading everything I can get a hold of on Charlotte Mason, Classical, Waldorf, Montessori and Unschooling. Again welcome and I look forward to seeing you around the boards!

Marisa

Sarbare0704
05-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I cannot wait to get more time to go through all of this wonderful info! As of yet I dont have any idea for curriculum, I figured for this coming fall we will just play it by ear and see what we need. I guess i figured with online resources and picking up things as I go along I would be fine for some of the earlier learning at least until it gets to the stuff I have a harder time understanding :) Anyone else take this approach?

pandahoneybee
05-31-2010, 08:55 PM
Hey Sara~
I am definitely with you on taking it as you go! We are going to be starting 3rd and 8th grade this year and we are playing by ear with the older one;) Trying to give him things that will be changeling for him but not defeat him! This forum is a good one for saving some money, people seem to tell it like it is when it comes to programs that they have tried;) Well gotta go and put those boys to bed!
talk to you soon