PDA

View Full Version : Field Trip Question (Vent)

opheliag
02-07-2012, 01:34 PM
A group that I am a part of set up a field trip to go see National Geographic Live. These are amazing, free shows for school children, and the tickets are very difficult to get. They usually give preference to schools. Anyway, we signed up for all four shows and managed to get tickets to two of them.

Today was the first of the two. I had 34 people signed up to go and only 12 showed. There were empty seats all over the auditorum. This is a show where they turned people away. I could have filled those extra seats if I would have known how many people cancelled.

Now some of this issue today was because I wasn't the only coordinator. People attending corresponded with the other lady (who didn't show either) while I mainly dealt with the venue. As it worked out, my name was the contact for the vendor which makes me look horrible. My biggest concern with the venue is that I'm not going to be able to get tickets in the future because of the debacle today.

Have any of you run into something like this where people sign up and then don't follow through? How did you handle it? To be honest, I'm at the point where I will set up a trip for me and mine and no one else.

dbmamaz
02-07-2012, 01:42 PM
I've actually heard this same complaint WAY too often. The only suggestion I've heard is to make people pay up front, so they are more likely to show up. Homeschoolers are so in to 'doing their own thing' that commitments often mean nothing. And even if its a free event - they get their money back if they show up, and otherwise you put it towards expenses or donate to a homeschooling organization that can use it.

honestly, i've seen some of the same thing in my moms group. I was always shocked that someone would post a play date and 2 dozen moms of small children would say they would absolutely be there. The day of the play date, 5 would say they couldnt make it, 3 more would apologize that they didnt make it, and only about 6 showed up.

I've even heard of some venues no longer wanting to work with homeschoolers because of this kind of thing.

baker
02-07-2012, 02:37 PM
Oh I would be ticked off!! Unfortunately, I think it is kind of a sign of the times. I find this to be the case with other groups/organizations with which I am involved. People either rsvp and don't show or don't rsvp and show up. I agree, get money up front if you ever do this again. Sounds like a great show - wish I had such an opportunity!

skrink
02-07-2012, 03:05 PM
I've been on your side of this, and it's lousy. I have done very limited field trip planning since then, and after this school year I'm DONE. That said, I used to be one of the moms who would cancel last minute. My dd has always had challenging behaviors and if she was on a tear the day of an event, we just didn't go. I was as upfront about this possibility as I could be when I signed up for things, and I never stranded anyone. I give people some slack - things do crop up - but when it's the same people over and over again? I think the 3 strikes rule should be in place.

bovinesituation
02-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes, and it's not just homeschoolers or even parents. I ran a meetup group last year for parents and people would ask that I plan x event at y time on z day and THEN THEY WOULDN'T EVEN SHOW UP. I got so tired of it that I gave up on organizing the group. Fast forward a year and I'm doing meetup again - I've got a group for crafty people (people don't show) and a homeschool group. The HS group has a few more people that have initiative but I've had a couple things where people back out at the last minute and we end up doing things alone. I think my meetup dues are up in March and I'm having to decide if it's worth $70 or whatever to organize things to do alone ;)

Bugs
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
I have this same problem! We are doing a 6 week co-op class, and did a sign up- I had a total of 22 kids signed up for two classes, expecting to recieve 5 bucks a head. I bought art supplies and am now out a good chunk of change for kids that didn't show up. I'm honestly ticked off. I don't know if I would offer to do this again.

dbmamaz
02-07-2012, 05:48 PM
Well, definitely dont put any money out until you get money in!

Bugs
02-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Sigh. Life lessons learned....

mamaraby
02-07-2012, 10:15 PM
I'm another one who would say this isn't unique to homeschoolers. I've seen it happen in a number of situations - even a yoga workshop. It doesn't seem like having folks put money in necessarily helps, either.

I am sorry to hear about it, though. That's beyond frustrating.