PDA

View Full Version : Uggghhh, trying to trudge through and wanting to call it quits!

Alaskamom
02-07-2012, 02:54 AM
We are using Calvert this year. Before we got started I thought we'd LOVE it, however that is far from the case. My 2nd grader hates it except for the Math and Science. He and I both get annoyed with the amount of workbook pages in the LA that seem to be just mindless busy work for him. He's getting nothing out of it. My thought was to just dump it and go ahead and use the Moving Beyond the Page unit I bought for us to do this summer. What would you do? Trudge through or dump it?

theWeedyRoad
02-07-2012, 03:03 AM
I always think I can tweak anything to make it work- but really it's because I reserve the right to skip anything we don't see any need for. I'll teach orally instead of doing worksheets, skip busywork or shorten lessons, read whatever material and add/omit as I feel the need.

If there's no way to shorten or change it what you are doing, I'd dump it.

dragonfly
02-07-2012, 03:14 AM
I used Calvert from pre-K to 8. Unless you're using ATS, I'd highly recommend adjusting the LA to better suit your needs. If it's not something that is progressing his learning, skip it or give it just a brief overview. If it's boring, try changing it up a bit to make it more fun. I did a lot of that in the later grades when we were getting really bogged down with the composition assignments. We skipped over most of them, just doing the ones that were of interest, and we were both much happier. Sometimes I would give him a writing assignment, but we would pick out a topic that was more of interest, like video games or animals. I don't feel like we missed out on much academically by skipping things here and there.

If that doesn't work, go ahead and dump it. You can always continue with the math alone, if you both like it. You could even continue with the science until the end of the year (and anything else you like), and supplement with a LA program that works better for you.

Good luck!

Alaskamom
02-07-2012, 04:45 AM
My thought was to just dump the LA only...We'll definitely finish everything else. I'm still tossing the idea around. Thanks for your input ladies.